Broken speaker repair?
May 21, 2006 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ProParadox

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,
I know this forum is traditionally used for DIY amps and the like, but I have a problem and I don't know where to go for help. Here's the deal:

I own a set of Event TR-5 Studio monitors, that I like quite a bit. In the moving process between college and home, some sort of internal damage occured to one of my speakers. The one speaker has a significantly reduced volume, and has a sound behavior similar to clipping when played "loud". "Loud" is in quotes because it is 1/50th as loud as it used to be at max volume. I swapped out the actual speaker cones, and isolated the problem to be somewhere in the electronics--the woofer and tweeter both work fine when hooked up to the non-broken speaker's electronics.

Can anyone help? I would really appreciate it!

May 21, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, it must be in your crossover. My guess is that one of the solder joints came loose.

Pull the woofer and see if you can find the crossover in there. It might be underneath some padding. When you find it, take it out and inspect it. The loose joint might or might not be obvious.

If you can't see where it is, get your soldering iron and resolder every joint. Shouldn't be more than 10-15 connections, and it won't take that long. That should take care of it. If not, look to see if one of the discrete components was damaged. Use your meter to find the bad one and replace it.

Let us know how it goes-

May 25, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 4
I don't exactly know what a crossover is, further, I think the fact that the speaker is powered might make things significantly more complicated. Could you shoot any more advice my way? I'm just about to take out the circuit board... hopefully ill find something painfully obvious, and it won't be some discrete tiny crack in the circuit board.

thanks a bunch!

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back