Broken Shure SE535s - Bummer
Feb 21, 2011 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DavidWeinberg

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I’m running the Shure SE535s from an iPod Classic feeding my **new** RSA Shadow (which is a wonderful addition). Tonight, however, I plugged everything in, place the left monitor in my ear (all systems go) and did the same with the right, but the volume on the right monitor is very very low. I rebooted the iPod, plugged the 535s into the iPod directly, swapped out an old pair of IEMs, and finally plugged the 535s into my laptop. So, it appears to be the right monitor. Has this happened to anyone else? Any solutions?

I’m prepared to send the 535s back to Shure, but I did that a month or so ago over a mild cosmetic thing, and really don’t want to be without the 535s for another two weeks.

Thanks!

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

I have the SE530s and after 11months the right ear went very quiet and then stopped altogether. I contacted Shure and then sent them back. They sent a replacement out within a week. The replacements also failed on the right ear after 1 month, so I sent those back and so far, a year on, they still seem to be OK.
As long as they are within the 2 year warranty, I would give their support people a call and get them replaced ASAP.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 6
Have you checked for earwax blockage?

Also, you might try swapping earpieces on the cable to see if the problem moves.

As long as you're certain it's a mechanical/electrical failure (and it appears to be so), contact Shure by phone, then send them in.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 6
I haven't checked for earwax (an occupational hazard) but will do so.  I did swap the monitors and the problem stayed with the right monitor, although both monitors appear to be working today.  My plan is to check for consistent performance and then send it in if (when?) the right monitors fails.  I don’t want to send the monitor in only to have Shure say that it’s working fine (which it is) and then pay for shipping and have the 535s out of circulation for two weeks.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
Well, you've cleared the cable of any guilt, so that's good.

Every IEM user should use their cleaning tool religiously. It doesn't take much cerumen to block the port, and even a partial blockage can have a profound effect on volume and sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back