Broken right headphone in Audio technica ATH M-50s LE. Lend a hand?
Jul 10, 2012 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BiblicalSanta

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone I haven't used my ATH M-50s in a few months but I went to use them today and the right headphone down work.

Even though I bought them in February, I can't get them repaired because I live in Canada. I emailed AT about this and they referred me to the Canadian AT service center jam industries, who pretty much told me to screw off because I bought the headphones from the sound professionalls, an American company

I have some pictures of the internals if you guys could help me.

Here are some pictures of the internals.

imageshack.com/user/saltymcgeez

And I have tried some different inputs and the right ear works in none.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you tested the cable for continuity?

You should get approximately 0 ohms from the TRS mini plug connector to each appropriate wire.
(i.e. Sleeve to Black, Ring to Green, Tip to Red or vise versa)

If you wiggle the strain relief on the TRS end and resistance goes up then you have a bad connection at the mini plug.
Test the wire going through the headband as well.

You should also take a resistance measurement on the drivers to see if one is open.
(They should probably be around 38 Ohms each if both are working.)

Good luck!
beerchug.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd also contact AT again and let them know about the NON Service you received from JAM Industries.

You could have arranged an RMA to ATUS for repair but since you've opened them I doubt you have any warranty left.

Oh well... ATUS sells parts if by chance you have a driver blown.
beerchug.gif

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I'd also contact AT again and let them know about the NON Service you received from JAM Industries.

You could have arranged an RMA to ATUS for repair but since you've opened them I doubt you have any warranty left.

Oh well... ATUS sells parts if by chance you have a driver blown.
beerchug.gif

this. they should be able to honor the warranty (if there is) if A-T said that you can get it to JAM industries for warranty.

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the help guys.

I told the guys at Sound Professionalls what happened and they said to ship it to them if nobody else would take it.

I don't know how I would have blown a driver as they sat unused for a month.

I don't really trust my own handiwork, so what you're saying is something I don't really know how to do.

I guess I'll just wait to see whatthe Sound Professionalls do and if I can exchange for a different set of cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back