Broken Hifiman He-400i & very bad support service experience
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #31 of 41
Hello,

I bought HE400i very soon after release. I was pretty disappointed by the appearance of build quality from the start, but the sound was OK. After two years covers fell off from the pads - glue didn’t hold on more than two years?! I glued them back myself - no problem, but … I have paid 500$ for this kind of manufacturing?! I have Philips Fidelio - they are 200$ headphone, but it looks like twice the quality of Hifiman.
Now … after three years the plastic holder which holds the cups broke. I am light user and headphones sit on the table most of the time. Just like that … ping!
I have contacted support to order replacement part and … they politely let me know they don’t sell replacement parts. Khm??!? Instead they offer a repair with the price tag if 80$!!!???

Part which is detachable and easily sendable via mail for probably 2$ shipping included, can not be obtained … but I can have a 80$ repair service. Thank you very much. I call that a rip - off company.

Please see attached photo … I would appreciate any input how to fix that. Super glue doesn’t hold.

cheap plastic chinese junk. avoid all hifiman products.

Jan 2, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #32 of 41
Hello fellow Hifiman owners. I am not sure if this question has come up and I searched the thread and couldnt find anything about it. I have an HE400i that, I am sure a lot of you have experienced, has a broken headband. I know that I can go to hifimans website and pay $70 for a new one or $120 for a different one thats stronger and fits the 400i, but that just seems ridiculous to invest that much money into a headphone that you can buy for close to that amount at this point. This headphone was the headphone that began my hifi journey and therefore has nostalgic value. Do any of you know where to get a hifiman headband at a reasonable price? I would really appreciate the help. I have searched the for sale here as well and all of it is incredibly old.

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #33 of 41
Hello fellow Hifiman owners. I am not sure if this question has come up and I searched the thread and couldnt find anything about it. I have an HE400i that, I am sure a lot of you have experienced, has a broken headband. I know that I can go to hifimans website and pay $70 for a new one or $120 for a different one thats stronger and fits the 400i, but that just seems ridiculous to invest that much money into a headphone that you can buy for close to that amount at this point. This headphone was the headphone that began my hifi journey and therefore has nostalgic value. Do any of you know where to get a hifiman headband at a reasonable price? I would really appreciate the help. I have searched the for sale here as well and all of it is incredibly old.
Dan. I think that if you email customer service at hifiman, and you can provide any solid evidence that you actually bought a pair from them, packaging, reciept etc., and you attach a couple pics of the damaged 'phones, that they can be very accommodating

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #34 of 41
wow thank you thats awesome

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #35 of 41
Lots of tales of woe - each one really stinks.

My only issue with HFM would be buying cans at new list price because they don't last long at that price.

Have a HE-500 built in 2012 - brick out house, zero problems.
Have a MD-4xx few years old - no problem
Friend has 400i that six years old - no problem
Another friend has a 560, from '15. looks like its about to have issues, but not yet.

I'm going to keep buying used HFM's.

Jan 8, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #37 of 41
well I got a reply from CS. “
Hi there, thank you for the inquiry. Well, we have fixed this problem by using the newly enhanced headband with metal bone in it.:)

April”
Will order a pair this week.

Dec 13, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #38 of 41
I struggled with the exact same issue too, my gf stepped on them after I'd had them for about 5 days and broke them in the same spot... I was able to fix mine with glue and it held fine for about a year or so, and then one day they fell off their stand and they broke... I struggled to get them to glue again (I was using the wrong glue imo) and tried then to contact hifiman who told me my warranty had expired a month ago and the only option was to sell me the entire head band... Clearly I didn't take them up on the offer... I tried to find the parts online for ages and couldn't but after perseverance and about a full day of attempts to glue them, I got it to work, but alas... an hour ago they broke again in the same spot... I've just tried to glue them with a 2 part epoxy adhesive, and after holding the parts together for about a minute, the bond is strong enough to hang them, I suspect they will glue quite well this time... I suggest you give this glue type a test... You could also attach a steel brace of sorts and put a couple of screws in on either sides of the break, but that will look ugly af... So, try again on the glue front... You will be able to fix them... GL
Dan. I think that if you email customer service at hifiman, and you can provide any solid evidence that you actually bought a pair from them, packaging, reciept etc., and you attach a couple pics of the damaged 'phones, that they can be very accommodating
I jumped through all their hoops, and they didn't help me at all, they quite coldly told me I was out of warranty (by a couple of months) and they only offered to sell me the entire headband for about 60% or so of the entire price I paid.

Dec 16, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #39 of 41
I struggled with the exact same issue too, my gf stepped on them after I'd had them for about 5 days and broke them in the same spot... I was able to fix mine with glue and it held fine for about a year or so, and then one day they fell off their stand and they broke... I struggled to get them to glue again (I was using the wrong glue imo) and tried then to contact hifiman who told me my warranty had expired a month ago and the only option was to sell me the entire head band... Clearly I didn't take them up on the offer... I tried to find the parts online for ages and couldn't but after perseverance and about a full day of attempts to glue them, I got it to work, but alas... an hour ago they broke again in the same spot... I've just tried to glue them with a 2 part epoxy adhesive, and after holding the parts together for about a minute, the bond is strong enough to hang them, I suspect they will glue quite well this time... I suggest you give this glue type a test... You could also attach a steel brace of sorts and put a couple of screws in on either sides of the break, but that will look ugly af... So, try again on the glue front... You will be able to fix them... GL

I jumped through all their hoops, and they didn't help me at all, they quite coldly told me I was out of warranty (by a couple of months) and they only offered to sell me the entire headband for about 60% or so of the entire price I paid.

Hi there, can you please email us at customerservice@hifiman.com so that we can look into what’s happened and to see how we can help?

Hifiman team

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jan 2, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #40 of 41
Here my experience how to repair cup holder (adding *metal bone*:smile_phones: by yourself) -HE560
PC-560_1_cr.jpg
Not every glue fits, after few tries cyanoacrylate from LIDL did the best result
560_2.JPG
Cut two pieces of metal rope (2-2.5mm diameter)
PC-560_3_cr.jpg
Do the groove (deep enough) with Dremel (router bit 2.5mm)
PC-560_4_cr.jpg
Glue it
PC-560_5_cr.jpg
Next stage- applying and sanding filler
PC-560_6_cr.jpg
Matt paint
PC-560_7_cr.jpg
The result - yokes are springing and strong. Two months without complaints.

Save your money, don't pay to unfair people.

Happy 2020 to everyone!

Attachments

• PC-560_2_cr.jpg
    PC-560_2_cr.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #41 of 41
OK guys,

So Hifiman actually reached out to me about my broken headset and they actually sent out a brand new head band free of charge, this includes the broken component, so thaks very much to HifiMan for making the effort to reach out to its customers, I can't delete the original message I'm afraid for some reason, but I can obviously give all the other readers an update.

I can't ask for more tbh. it's just a shame the affected component couldn't be sold at a reasonable price e.g. £15, a year or so ago when I had the issue. There's still profit to be made at that price point I'm 100% sure, and your customers would have a reason to actually buy HIfiMan products to begin with (the ability to replace failed components at a reasonable price is a massive selling point for serious buyers. Serious buyers will stick with you for a lifetime, and only act as positive influences for your brand throughout the world. Provided your equipment is of good quality and you provide a customer focused support structure the business will grow to be highly respected and trusted.

Thank you for taking the time to help with this long term issue I've had.

Best Wishes,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back