Broken HD650 headband, Sennheiser repair worth it?
Mar 15, 2012 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

funkychowda

Head-Fier
The headband on my HD650 snapped in half after five years of use. Would it be worth it to send it to Sennheiser to get it repaired?

Does the Flat-rate repair of $155.00 cover all the damages to my headphones? Will I have to pay more for other things such as a bent cup, chipped paint, etc.?

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 21
For that price, I'd rather try a $2 bottle of superglue.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #3 of 21

That's what I have been doing with the smaller cracks, but finally it snapped in two
frown.gif

Quote:
For that price, I'd rather try a $2 bottle of superglue.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 21
Wow ...you managed to break it? Isn't it made of Kevlar? Impressive...

It depends on how badly you want them again , $155 for $400-500 headphones doesn't sound bad but maybe its time to consider other choices.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 21

A bunch of little cracks have formed in the headband and finally it snapped.

I have dumped so much money on fixing these cans over the years. I've replaced the cable, the foam for the cups, the tiny little coils in the left cup, and now the headband. Maybe I should buy a better quality set of headphones...
Quote:
Wow ...you managed to break it? Isn't it made of Kevlar? Impressive...

It depends on how badly you want them again , $155 for $400-500 headphones doesn't sound bad but maybe its time to consider other choices.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 21
Man. I'm getting worried about my HD650. I thought they would last me a decade without breaking. 

Also the headband is made of plastic. I think the cable is blended with kevlar.

Mar 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #8 of 21
Yes...I wish they lasted a decade...

First it was the paint chipping off, then little cracks appeared where the paint was missing. I used superglue but it didn't last long at all. Once those small cracks form you are screwed.
Quote:
Man. I'm getting worried about my HD650. I thought they would last me a decade without breaking. 

Also the headband is made of plastic. I think the cable is blended with kevlar.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #9 of 21
I keep wanting to own a pair of Seinn's, but honestly they just don't seem that well made. They had a serious problem with the 598 in the early production run. I'd tend to change headphones a lot till I find one that I really like for one reason or another (comfort, bass impact, detail...) then I'll just keep them till they wear out. I would be very bummed if my $300-$400 pair of phones broke after a few years.

Mar 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #10 of 21

The HD650s feel and look so cheap for a $400+ headphone...(add another 100+ for repairs) 
mad.gif

I will never buy another Sennheiser headphone that is for sure.
Quote:
I keep wanting to own a pair of Seinn's, but honestly they just don't seem that well made. They had a serious problem with the 598 in the early production run. I'd tend to change headphones a lot till I find one that I really like for one reason or another (comfort, bass impact, detail...) then I'll just keep them till they wear out. I would be very bummed if my $300-$400 pair of phones broke after a few years.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 21
Not to be the advocate (well actually yes) .. but I honestly think the HD650's are built quite well.

I've had mine for years and no issues. No cracking , no coils needing be replaced and the headband is perfectly fine. I've even actually stepped right on the headband with all my weight (not on purpose) and it didn't even budge.

The ear pads wear out simply from use , I don't think there is a headphone out there where over long periods of time the pads don't wear out unless the user takes extreme care of them. I've owned 3 pairs of Sennheiser cans and all have been well built. Honestly the only cans I ever had that were poorly built was my former Beyerdynamic DT 770's , inside of 4 months the drives simply stopped functioning. 

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #12 of 21
How do you treat your headphones?  I've had my HD650's for 14 months and the only damage they have is a very tiny piece of paint is chipped away on the underside of the headband.  I can't imagine how the headband would crack under normal use.

Maybe you should try calling Sennheiser.  They can answer your questions better than we can.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
How do you treat your headphones?  I've had my HD650's for 14 months and the only damage they have is a very tiny piece of paint is chipped away on the underside of the headband.  I can't imagine how the headband would crack under normal use.

Maybe you should try calling Sennheiser.  They can answer your questions better than we can.

See , this is what I'm wondering. I mean I really can't imagine how it would crack either unless you simply went out of your want to do so. That headband is without a doubt the strongest I've seen on any can I've used.

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #14 of 21

For a pair of headphones that are worth $400+, I baby them. At that price it is not something that I can throw down and abuse it. No I did not go out of my way to make cracks on these headphones...
Quote:

Mar 15, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #15 of 21

I wish I had your HD650s, it would have saved me a lot of money.

Quote:
Not to be the advocate (well actually yes) .. but I honestly think the HD650's are built quite well.

I've had mine for years and no issues. No cracking , no coils needing be replaced and the headband is perfectly fine. I've even actually stepped right on the headband with all my weight (not on purpose) and it didn't even budge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back