BRITPOP - Best of the Rest
Jul 19, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #106 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good. They are one of the greatest Brit pop bands ever, IMO. Don't blame me if you don't like them though.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will not hold it against you if I dislike them, I promise.

Do you know the singles collection 'Fossil Fuel 77-92'? Will it be a good entry to the world of XTC or should I go for Skylarking instead?

Jul 19, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #107 of 120
Fossil Fuel is a 2cd set and it has a good selection spanning their career but then you miss out on the conceptualization of their albums and it won't flow anywhere near as good. I would go straight for Skylarking if I was you and then English Settlement if you like Skylarking.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #108 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatticus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fossil Fuel is a 2cd set and it has a good selection spanning their career but then you miss out on the conceptualization of their albums and it won't flow anywhere near as good. I would go straight for Skylarking if I was you and then English Settlement if you like Skylarking.

I quess thats a general problem with single/best of collections. I'll go for Skylarking then.

Jul 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #109 of 120
But............
The good part of getting good 2CD collection from group like XTC with many albums over long period of time and whose style changed significantly over that period is you can find out which style you like best and get those individual albums.

For instance if you compare "drum & wires" and "skylarking" they are so different you would think it was two different groups playing them

I have no problem with someone saying they like XTC better than Oasis, but they are apples and oranges as far as style especially late period XTC.

My XTC collection is weighted to early material:
-drum and wires
-black sea
-english settlement
-skylarking
-fossil fuel collection

Jul 19, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #111 of 120
i agree with DA, comparing XTC to Oasis is like apples to oranges. even the whole Blur vs. Oasis thing was a stretch. that said... definitely Blur over Oasis!
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #112 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no problem with someone saying they like XTC better than Oasis, but they are apples and oranges as far as style especially late period XTC.

Yes, I agree, but I was specifically comparing the Oasis Beatles similarity to XTC's Skylarking album and nothing else. Even if I do think XTC is a much better band.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #113 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about the dukes of stratosphear (XTC)? What do you guys think of that?

I had them but it was so long ago I can't even remember what it sounded like now. I have had many, many, more albums than I have now and lost a lot of my music due to various moves. I try not to think about it though as it upsets me sometimes to think just how good of a collection I would have if I still had it all.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #114 of 120
hahaha thats funny Gatticus cause like the other thread we were laughing about similarities, then another one comes... 700 or so of my CDs were auctioned by the FBI after the friend I left them with in the US got arrested for a heist at sun microsystems

Jul 20, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #115 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree with DA, comparing XTC to Oasis is like apples to oranges. even the whole Blur vs. Oasis thing was a stretch. that said... definitely Blur over Oasis!
biggrin.gif

x2 back in the mid 90s when the big britpop war was going on, I was in the Oasis camp. But since then Blur/Damon Albarn has just turned out to be the more creative and has developt into a truly great songwriter, while Oasis still write songs like they did in the 90s.

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #116 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Most assuredly. I'm about ready to say OASIS sucks even but don't want to offend their fans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #117 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hahaha thats funny Gatticus cause like the other thread we were laughing about similarities, then another one comes... 700 or so of my CDs were auctioned by the FBI after the friend I left them with in the US got arrested for a heist at sun microsystems

Ouch! Couldn't you sue to get them back? I said this already at the end of that other thread but don't know if you saw it. Even our user names are similar. Spooky.

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #119 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by asm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stanley Road - Paul Weller

100% the best album of the britpop era. The album has the lot, and so many good memories for me on that record.

Great choice, Broken stones is one of my all time favorite tunes.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #120 of 120
The Sundays, World Party.

I truely wanted to be Jarvis Cocker though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back