Bringing RS-1's to life
Oct 29, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind
I'll vouch for the Mapletree Ear+HD with RS-1 combo, it really is a great sounding match.

You can say that again!
biggrin.gif

EarPuristandRS-12.jpg

Nov 1, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #18 of 23
Have now recieved the DAC1S and am on the queue for a Ear HD150 SE
biggrin.gif

The DAC1 is an amazing peice of kit, the detail and accuracy are a leagues ahead of the onboard DAC on a PC soundcard - simply amazing.

It not only sounds great with the Grados but as a preamp with my speaker based setup.

Once again thanks for your suggestions, Ill post a pic when the rig is complete.

Nov 1, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 23
San Raal,
Congrats! I knew you were going to like the DAC1 I have been auditioning this DAC for a while and it has wicked synergy with the RS-1's. You might be tempted to say that the onboard AMP is all you need. Truth be told you would be right however the Mapletree will really take it to the next level.

Nov 1, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #20 of 23
"So... after browsing I have in mind a MPX3 - Singlepower and teaming that with a HR Desktop with the Max Dac"

If you go for the SP MPX, be sure to get the version that supports the 6bl7 output tube. That set of tubes has the current that the Grado desire.

"Source first dude. The RS-1’s can do much better with a better quality source. $2000-$3000 for an amp to amplify your soundcard is a waste of money."

This advice makes a lot of sense. . . . . Driving a quality amp and headphones with a sound card is like outfitting your Porsche with re-treads tires.

- augustwest

Nov 2, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
"So... after browsing I have in mind a MPX3 - Singlepower and teaming that with a HR Desktop with the Max Dac"

If you go for the SP MPX, be sure to get the version that supports the 6bl7 output tube. That set of tubes has the current that the Grado desire.

- augustwest

I can confirm the synergy between the RS-1's and MPX3 SLAM with 6bl7GTAs as output tubes. I can also add, after a recommendation from SACD lover, the RCA clear glass or grey glass 6sn7GT as the gain tube. The RCA cuts the bright highs of the RS-1 and gives them a nice warm sound.

Nov 2, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #22 of 23
I think it's fairly obvious by the wording in the OP that he's looking for an amp AND a DAC for $2000. The Emu is just the transport and a good one at that.

For the RS1 I'd be looking for something rounded a bit. Monarchy M24 DAC and MPX SLAM fit the bill.

Nov 2, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
I think it's fairly obvious by the wording in the OP that he's looking for an amp AND a DAC for $2000. The Emu is just the transport and a good one at that.

For the RS1 I'd be looking for something rounded a bit. Monarchy M24 DAC and MPX SLAM fit the bill.

Agreed .... and this is an excellent recommendation for the RS-1. Singlepower is well known on this board but outside head-fi I have used Monarchy products for many years with complete satisfaction.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back