Bringing RS-1's to life
Oct 27, 2006 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

San Raal

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Im new to these forums, Ive been browsing as a guest for a few weeks and have enjoyed reading user comments here.

Ive recently bought some RS-1 phones as an upgrade from SR-125's and have enjoyed them thus far - detailed alongside that lovley Grado sound.

But they are missing something being driven direct from a soundcard..

Im additcted to MMO's (World of Warcraft/EVE Online) etc etc so i rarely leave my desktop - I have bought an EMU 0404 with intention of using the digital output with a DAC and Amp to bring Hifi to my world.

I have around $2000-$3000 to spend on a good DAC and Amp that is convenient enough to use around a PC workstation... i considered the Headroom Millet hybrid and Pimped out desktop as a combo but have read a reports of poor performance with Grados
blink.gif

So... after browsing I have in mind a MPX3 - Singlepower and teaming that with a HR Desktop with the Max Dac

If anyone has any suggestions using the Grados with a computer or digital source i would like to hear about your rig...

Thanks

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 23
With your budget I would recomend a DAC1 and Mapletree Ear+ purist HD. The dac is outstanding and the Mapletree synergizes with the Grado's as better than anything else I have heard.
Fellow headfiers can I get an AMEN on the mapletree!

Oct 27, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 23
The Zana Deux (2000ish) with a Monarchy dac 24 (currently for 980 on audiogon) would blow away anything else in that area.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 23
IMO the best amp I have heard with Grados is the Mapletree Ear Purist + HD. As far as DACs there are a lot of options out there for you to choose from, my recomendation would be to listen before you purchase. See if you can go to meets of fellow Head-Fiers in your area, one decission you will have to make is if you prefer Non-Over-Sampling or Over-Sampling DACs. Good luck.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 23
“an EMU 0404 with intention of using the digital output with a DAC and Amp to bring Hifi to my world. I have around $2000-$3000”

Source first dude. The RS-1’s can do much better with a better quality source. $2000-$3000 for an amp to amplify your soundcard is a waste of money.

$2K for a nice Source then $1K for a nice amp and you’ll be in heaven. Otherwise just get the Grado RA-1 save $2500 and be happy.

Mitch

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
The Zana Deux (2000ish) with a Monarchy dac 24 (currently for 980 on audiogon) would blow away anything else in that area.

x2 on the Eddie Current Zana Deux. I'm not a big fan of the RS-1s generally, but they never have sounded better to my ears than out of the ZD. Maybe not quite convenient enough for a PC setup, but that part is up to you. The Mapletree is a great suggestion for a smaller tube amp that rocks the Grados, and the EC/SS by also by Eddie Current is a much smaller and cheaper solid state option.

Oct 28, 2006 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
“an EMU 0404 with intention of using the digital output with a DAC and Amp to bring Hifi to my world. I have around $2000-$3000”

Source first dude. The RS-1’s can do much better with a better quality source. $2000-$3000 for an amp to amplify your soundcard is a waste of money.

$2K for a nice Source then $1K for a nice amp and you’ll be in heaven. Otherwise just get the Grado RA-1 save $2500 and be happy.

Mitch

with a decent DAC and bit perfect output a really good soundcard is worthless, even an 0404 is overkill compared to cheaper cards that can do bit perfect.

Clearly he is focusing more on a good external DAC and amp

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm referring to a real source not a sound card.

You'll Never know what the RS-1's are capable of if you're using a sound card. End of story.

If you’ve read the posting here when people finally move up to a real source they are amazed at what their headphones are capable of.

Mitch

Oct 28, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 23
The MPX3 Slam really does bring the RS-1s to life. There are certainly other tube amps that work well with them, but I've been real happy with the Singlepower.

Oct 28, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
I'm referring to a real source not a sound card.

You'll Never know what the RS-1's are capable of if you're using a sound card. End of story.

If you’ve read the posting here when people finally move up to a real source they are amazed at what their headphones are capable of.

Mitch

i could be wrong but as far as i know when a bit perfect source is used with a, external DAC all performance differences are based purely on the DAC. I don't see how this differ's from a 'real source' (whatever that is) but i'm sure it could quite easily compete with whatever you had in mind for the same price.

Oct 29, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #14 of 23
If I understand correctly, when using a bit perfect digital output (optical or coaxial) to a DAC, the DAC becomes the source and the sound card becomes the transport. In which case getting a good quality DAC would be the equivalent of getting a good quality source.

Of course, this disregards jitter issues that aren't present when you get a very high quality CD player with good internal DAC, but that's another topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back