Bringing out the mids on the Denon D2000
May 24, 2008 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

arteom

1000+ Head-Fier
Those graphs on headroom have really been bugging me lately
redface.gif
. I have even started consideration of trading in my D2000 for a pair of D5000, but I before that I would really like to find out if anyone here has modded their D2000 in any way which has brought the mids out of recession. Whether it be markl modded or cable, or perhaps something else, I would like to hear about it. I really do love these cans and don't want to replace them, but would like to have my mids served to me well.

I use them with a X-canV8 btw, and have only applied the earpad mod to them. Have been considering doing the rest of the markl mod, but not sure how that would affect the mids.

May 24, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 11
According to the Headroom graphs the D5000s have more bass compared to the mids than the D2000.

But to answer your question, a full or partial markl mod will tame the bass and hence make their magic mids more prominent.

May 24, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #3 of 11
I didn't feel like spending any more money so I EQed Foobar (gasp!). I made a little hump trying to reverse the dip on the graphs a bit. Everything is -3, with a couple bumped up 1-2db. I also made a setting with everything -3 so I could flip back and forth to compare (without volume swings). I didn't realize notice a problem when I first got them, but after EQing a bit I think it breathes a little life into them. I don't know if I got it quite right yet, but I do have the EQ on more than not.

May 24, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 11
Graphs, Shmaphs. Although graphs are a fun novelty, and can be mildly helpful, the bottom line is that you need to just listen for yourself and trust your own ears.

I'm sorry to hear that your ears detect a midrange recession that is bugging you, because they really are a great pair of phones. It really is interesting how everyone's ears are so different. I have a pair of D5000s with markl mod applied, a pair of stock D2000s, and a pair of D1000s and my ears don't detect any sort of recessed midrange on any of them - as a matter of fact, I think the midrange is just right.

If you really love the D2000s, but the midrange is bugging you, I suppose that a full markl mod may be worth a shot - I will let markl himself comment on if he thinks the mod would help. But don't expect any miracles - it could be that you just aren't a Denon person, and the house sound isn't for you. Perhaps it is time to try another pair of phones that have a more pronounced midrange? For example, by the time you add up the cost of the D2000s, plus the cost of the full markl mod, you could of purchased a used pair of Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, which has plenty enough midrange to go around for everyone.

May 24, 2008 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh no, I don't see myself getting rid of the Denon sound, what I find lacking in the phones is really a lack of seperation between the mids and the bass, when you have a solo bass piece they sound pretty good but you have that bass going with other instruments the bass tends to get lost, you have to really try to focus if you want to hear the bass in the mix. Don't get me wrong, these phones lay the foundation and do it well, but that foundation gets mixed with the rest of the spectrum and kinda looses definition. Besides that I love the liquidy sound that these have. The audio technicas (AD-2000) do look tempting, but I really can't afford/justify spending 500$ on a set of cans right now. Plus I have large-ish head/ears and do like my cans to be comfortable, which the Denons do really well. I am unsure how the audio technicas would fit me.

May 24, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh no, I don't see myself getting rid of the Denon sound, what I find lacking in the phones is really a lack of seperation between the mids and the bass, when you have a solo bass piece they sound pretty good but you have that bass going with other instruments the bass tends to get lost, you have to really try to focus if you want to hear the bass in the mix. Don't get me wrong, these phones lay the foundation and do it well, but that foundation gets mixed with the rest of the spectrum and kinda looses definition. Besides that I love the liquidy sound that these have. The audio technicas (AD-2000) do look tempting, but I really can't afford/justify spending 500$ on a set of cans right now. Plus I have large-ish head/ears and do like my cans to be comfortable, which the Denons do really well. I am unsure how the audio technicas would fit me.

Ahh ok I see.

I really think that you should consult markl. I have a feeling that his full mod may indeed address your concerns. It is certainly worth a shot, since you seem to enjoy the Denons, tuning them to your liking may be worth the effort.

Good luck!

May 24, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 11
I've modified stock Denon D2000. Fitted wooden cups (custom made, hardwood, the same shape) and recabled it with D5000 cable (1.5m). While I couldn't do direct A/B, from memory the mids are just about the same.

And so in search of better mids I went for Audio Technica AD2000. As said earlier, there's mids aplenty for everyone. The vocals and guitars sound just incredible with these. Although, as you said these are double of price of stock Denons.

But with Audio Technicas I've lost the amount of bass I like with my music (even though the bass is really punchy and well textured).

Edition 9 solved that dilemma, but again we are looking at rather expensive purchase here.

So maybe looking at Ultrasone 780 would be good idea, there's couple of guys around having Denons and 780. Maybe they'll chime in.

Another possible contender could be AT ESW9. Haven't heard them personally, but I'm eying them as my next portables. Being Audio Technicas, I assume they have some sort AT signature mids and I'm hearing good reports on bass and highs on these.

May 25, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #8 of 11
Yeah have seen the pics of the woodied D2000's you've done and they do look quite good. I have never re-cabled any headphones before but might see If I can track down some D5000 cables and try to recable these with em. I wouldn't know otherwise how to assemble a cable. I might go ahead with the markl mod, but might use this instead of dynamat Parts Express:Lightweight Vinyl Sound Damping Sheet 10" x 13" which someone else reported good results with. From my reading I've done it seems that the ultrasones you mentioned might have somewhat of a edgy sound, and I really don't think I would like that. Please do correct me if I am wrong here.

The AT ESW9 seem like they would make great portable cans but from what I've read I am not sure they would be much competition to the full size Denons. Besides, I have my HD-25's for portable use. But then again I have not heard any Audio Technica cans.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 11
I went ahead and markl modded my D2000's. I had done only the earpad mod with cotton and without plastic cup. I first just added dynamat inside the cups, and also the 4 squares of dynamat onto the frame. I was really pleased with what I heard; the housing is not vibrating, as I just realized it was. In doing just that I noticed cleaner bass, I never thought the difference would be so much! But now the vibration was identified, and I could still hear some resonance that needed to be corrected. So I went with the full markl mod. Also did change the cotton in the earpads with the fiberfill, and used a plastic cup. The resonance is now almost completely gone. If I had not modded these I would have thought I had a hi-fi phone in my hands. There is better seperation between the lows and mid lows, the bass is better defined, tone is definitely improved. The bass presence is taken down, but I think markl said it best when saying that you still get all the musical information, just none of the shaking of the housing. The sound that results is better balanced.

The modded Denons are vastly superior to the stock version. I would highly recommend doing the markl mods. It took me perhaps about 4 hours total. The hardest part was the getting all the holes in the correct place for the driver assembly, a screwdriver can go a long way in helping align them. I would say the mods take the D2000 to the hi-fi level.

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by arteom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The modded Denons are vastly superior to the stock version. I would highly recommend doing the markl mods.

Thanks for sharing your experiences... I may end up down this path myself.

Apr 3, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #11 of 11
lol sorry to necro this page but I've got myself a D2000 recently (yes very very late to the party).  Long story short, I've found out a bit them through a co-worker and later got one myself through a 2nd hand sale forum (kijiji).

While I really like this headphone I do however noticed the recessed mid RIGHT AWAY.

I own a Philips L2 and have sampled my coworker's Grado SR125i numerous time and I do quite like the mid-forward sound signature.  I also pulled the trigger on B&O H6 which has very good mids but somehow fate brought me together with the Denon.  :p

That being said, the mid bugged me a while and I finally found a way to fix it.

First I bought the Lawton mod (www.lawtonaudio.com and refer to the tune up kit) hoping it will fix everything.  It did improve in some area however I find the bass overdamped and some area just aren't as good as stock.

I had to "mod the mod" so to speak a few time until I get it right.

What I notice is that the foam he put in the earcups change the relationship the most.  That foam is very good at reducing bass and maintain the same treble / mid.  But the problem is that it's too good at reducing bass and the bass end up sounding muffled.

So I took it out, and cut a hole in the middle (like a donut shape) and put it back then it's all good.  This is very surprising because it is enough to make my Denon mid-forward (yes you heard it right, not neutral, but mid forward).

What you can do is to keep all the Lawton mod intact, but play with the foam.

Stock Lawton Mod Foam = muffled bass but very emphasized treble and mid.

Donut Shape of The Same Foam = Mid forward with same treble and slightly reduced bass (this is what I end up going with).

You can also gradually reduce the foam slowly until no foam then you got back to the original slightly V-shaped sound signature.

I'd upload the picture but I think my account is too new so it doesn't allow me to do this, I will update it once I can.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back