Bringing an amp/DAC through Customs
Oct 31, 2009 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi All,

After realising that I could buy the C2C for a very good price when I arrive in Thailand in December, my joy was tempered by the knowledge that I would have to take the thing through two sets of X-Ray machines : one in Bangkok and the second in Singapore for my connecting flight back to Oz. I dont know how many devices must look 'suspicious' to a Customs officer, but surely an amp of this size would have to be high on that list. Has anyone had any experience with this in the last six months or so, in Asia or elsewhere ? They seem to be more paranoid each time I get on a plane - having to explain what a headphone amp is to people who are inclined to see everyone as a potential terrorist isnt my idea of a happy time.

Tks,

estreeter

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 12
I was flying recently with a backpack which contained: h140, ibasso D10, Cavalli CTH + separate power supply, Phonitor, Ultrasones 900, a whole bunch of interconnects, separate pro DAC (TC electronics) and 3 laptops (all in one bagpack). They didn't care, they just asked me to take laptops out and put them all in x-ray machine separately (in different plastic trays). No questions about headphone stuff, they don't seem to care, and I was preparing a lecture on "audiophilia, importance of a good source, cables and various headphone amps". I even was ready to demonstrate the sound, but it was not required
smily_headphones1.gif
For them it was just a bunch of electronic junk, no different from any other. I have been frequently flying with a Ultrasone headphone bag containing h140, ibasso, interconnects, and IEMs, and never had ANY problems at all.

Oct 31, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks aby - my main concern is around the sheer size of the C2C compared to something like the iBasso, but given the amount of money I can save its worth the hassle.

Nov 2, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by abyrvalg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
< snip > I was preparing a lecture on "audiophilia, importance of a good source, cables and various headphone amps". <snip >

Heh, we could find that interesting
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly, it depends on how much of a power trip the customs offerers are. I've had vastly different experiences between different people. One has taken away my manicure set!

hey that happened to me too! it's very true - I've seen these customs officer give plenty of attitude. they make you get in the line to check your stuff just because they dont like the way you look at them...lol

Nov 3, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 12
I used to fly to Japan a lot. With a hand luggage, usually I have 1 bag (max size you are allowed), with 4-5 smaller bags (like plastic bags) to hold a number of related items (like 1 bag holding your portable audio set). When I get to the xray, I put those separate bags onto multiple trays directly and empty the main bag. I even take off my belt and put it on the tray. I've never been messed around doing this in the last 4 years, probably because it's so obvious that I'm not trying to bundle things in; a perceived transparency might be the key here. This preparation also prevents officers from stirring things up in a bag and saves you time to pack everything back in.

With something like a large amp, you wouldn't be able to carry much else anyway, so I'd just put it in a separate bag and even take it out and put it on a tray separately. You might get a funny look at first, but I can't see it develop into anything more. If it's inside your big suitcase (which gets checked in) then I suspect they won't even flinch. If they do, I'd tell them it's like a guitar amp as everybody knows that
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 12
Having seen the way baggage handlers 'handle' bags, I wont be leaving it in my cabin luggage !

Here in Oz, you go through Customs virtually naked. You have to take off any headwear, shoes, belt etc, remove any electronic devices and place them in a tray and you end up in an extremely vulnerable position with many of your valuables on trays somewhere in the 'queue' while you hold your pants ... They now have scanners which basically give them a reasonable rendition of what you look like naked, sending various media outlets into a spin, but I have to ask just how 'titillating' it would be to operate such a scanner with 90% of the travellers I've seen
evil_smiley.gif

Back OT, I expect that I will restrict my purchases to a pair of cans : Denon and Grado are both very expensive here.

Nov 3, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 12
A full size amp will look a bit odd but as long as it's not lead lined you should be fine.

Also about that 'nude scanner' it's all blown out of proportion by the media, it only shows a shadow of the person really, only hard objects really show up clearly.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #12 of 12
Security in Amsterdam did not like my M^3 attached to my Ipod. I was called out and the man made me step away from it and asked me a bunch of questions and all my stuff went through the machine 3 more times. I felt awkward holding up the line so much while I just had to stand there, with 2 security guards standing next to me. I was coming home from working on a ship for 4 months so I had a lot of wires and audio equipment with me. He also asked me about all my nice watches (I had 15 or so).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back