Brightest, coldest, dryest solid state amp?
Jun 12, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #2 of 14
You want a LM386 chip amp with severely undersized coupling capacitors? Or a Cmoy using a TL072?
wink.gif

(I thought I'd start with the cheap variants.)

Jun 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 14
I've heard that the nuforce icon mobile is very bright, but that's a portable amp.  

Jun 14, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 14
It's not bright, but very neutral. The Dynalo/Gilmore Lite would fit the bill nicely. About as clean and crisp as you can get. A wonderful circuit, too.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 14
The headphone amp of the Benchmark DAC1 fits these criteria
- 0.11 ohm output impedance means straight frequency response from 0 to 20kHz for all headphones.
- very low THD + high power -106 dB, 0.0005% into 30 Ohms at +18 dBu (1.26W), as "dry" as you can possibly want with plenty of power.
- high current capacity 250 mA.

If you want brighter, you'll have to invest into an EQ and boost high frequencies.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 14
The brightest I ever heard was my old PPA that had an opamp in it whose name I can't remember, but someone who knows that amp could fill in here.  It sounded similar to the Gilmore lite, but dryer, colder and brighter, just as the OP is asking for.  I know it's one of the brightest amps around because it was the ONLY amp I could find that worked with my Headphile HP3000, which were exceedingly warm.  I walked around during a large meet once and they sounded best out of my little PPA simply because they were too warm on everything else.  I had the amp with an HD650 at that meet and everyone agreed it made the HD650 w/stock cable sound bright, cold and analytical. 
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
The brightest I ever heard was my old PPA that had an opamp in it whose name I can't remember, but someone who knows that amp could fill in here...

Was it an AD8** something? Was it a PPA v1 or v2?

Quote:
I had the amp with an HD650 at that meet and everyone agreed it made the HD650 w/stock cable sound bright, cold and analytical.  
wink.gif

LOL, that's just not possible, and if it were, then it would just be plain wrong.

Jun 21, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 14
AD861 maybe?  I'm not a DIY'er so I never paid much attention to the opamp numbers. 

I guess compared to all the crazily bright headphones out there, it wasn't all that bright.  But they were bright for HD650's and they did have a cold and analytical sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back