Brief Impressions: PFEv1 vs. UE TPF10
Dec 9, 2009 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

schneller

1000+ Head-Fier
INITIAL BUILD QUALITY

Now, with the cable modifications that Phonak made with the PFEv1, I would say build quality between the two is equal. No complaints. The UEs do have a thicker cable but materials seem the same.

At first I thought I saw a big kink in the UE cable about 2 inches from the monitor, but then I realized that they feature "built-in" ear guides with a sort of thicker memory wire.

COMFORT

This hands down goes to the PFEs. They are not called the "Perfect Fit Earphones" for nothing. After some time, you simply forget they are there.

In contrast the UEs get downright uncomfortable for me after a half hour or so of listening. Not to mention they are also quite bulky and look less appealing when worn in public.

ISOLATION

Using the Shure Olives on the PFEs versus the small UE tips (the only ones I can use to get a proper fit) the PFEs isolate a good bit better. Sound leakage is also not as much an issue with the PFEs as compared with the UEs.

SOUND STAGE

The PFEs have a wider sound stage, less "in your head" when compared to the UEs.

EFFICIENCY

The UEs require a good bit LESS power to drive. They are louder at lower volumes. The UEs are the clear winner here.

SOUND QUALITY

I am using the black tips on the PFEs.
Source: SanDisk Sansa (no amp)
Music: MGMT, Richie Havens, ATB, Paul Van Dyk, Sigur Ros, etc.

The UEs definitely bring the bass that the PFEs lack. It is about as strong as I would like it. More extension and simply more of it. The UEs are the clear winner here.

The PFEs swing the pendulum back in their direction when it comes to mid-range. The UEs seem to have a real gap here, whereas with the PFEs the mids+highs are so smooth and clear.

As for the highs, this is where I have most trouble comparing the two. The UE highs may be a little brighter but are also more on the too bright/harsh/fatiguing side perhaps. While the PFEs have this ever so slight sparkle to them that gives them an edge in clarity.

SQ SUMMATION

Smoothness, Clarity, and Comfort are the adjectives that keep coming to mind when I consider the PFEs. A uniformity of sound perhaps.

As for what adjectives describe the UEs to me? Bass, bright, and border line uncomfortable.

VALUE

At $140, the PFEs are a no-brainer compared to the normally-priced $400 UEs. The PFEs are still "value kings" in my opinion. Perhaps the $150-$200 is a better price range for the UEs, no more.

As for paying $99 for the UEs, one can't really go wrong. At that price, the question becomes more like, "Why not?"

WHAT WILL I DO NEXT?

I will continue to allow the UEs to burn in/settle down and update this post if I find any big differences down the road.

I think I will lean towards using the PFEs more than the UEs.

But most importantly, I am more curious than ever to attach a decent portable amp to my PFEs. Along with more volume and more refined and extended bass, I can only imagine how even more great they would be.

Once again, kudos to Phonak!

Cable comparison: (PFEv0 bottom, PFEv1 middle, UE top)
cables.jpg

pfe_ue.jpg

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 31
try different tips on the TF10. i put the biflanges that come with the RE0 on them and it made a world of difference in comfort. SQwise, it didn't change much, maybe a bit more soundstage and more bass.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #3 of 31
If you want to buy amp for PFEs, consider the amp with warm sound signature or bass boost feature. You 'may' amazed with the improvement.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 31
As I said, in my opinion the PFEs have a slightly wider soundstage. Not be a huge margin but slightly wider nonetheless.

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 31
I have a pair of these on their way...I guess I'll be selling them off as I have the PFEs. A bit dissapointing as I thought three drivers would have been a serious step up from single drivers to custom mold. Phonak really made a winner I guess!

Dec 9, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by loopsider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of these on their way...I guess I'll be selling them off as I have the PFEs. A bit dissapointing as I thought three drivers would have been a serious step up from single drivers to custom mold. Phonak really made a winner I guess!

I recommend you burn them in and come to your own conclusion.

I would personally like to read it.

Dec 9, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
try different tips on the TF10. i put the biflanges that come with the RE0 on them and it made a world of difference in comfort. SQwise, it didn't change much, maybe a bit more soundstage and more bass.

Hey EraserXIV, I notice that you also have the re0, just out of curiosity, how much difference in sound is it between re0 and the triplefi? I am still thinking about getting the triplefi or not.

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 31
Good to know. UE tf10 was my dream IEM and I kind of settled for phonak based on reviews and my budget. I was pretty upset about the recent tf10 sale but this and my new V1s are helping me get over it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 31
It is more toward the "mental burn-in" or familiarization and adaptation to the IEM's sound signature.

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by bakhtiar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is more toward the "mental burn-in" or familiarization and adaptation to the IEM's sound signature.

But I would say at least give it 100 hrs.

As far as I know, my um3x got significant change within 100 hrs and some minor changes for 200-300hrs.......

Believe it or not. I came out this conclusion by a/b testing with other earphone I owned
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #14 of 31
The PFE is an outstanding earphone. It has been one of the most immediately impressive earphones I've used, and they just do a lot of things really well. For the $140 price tag, they're one heck of a product.

Some small notes to add to your original post. I do agree with a good bit of it. I did find the PFE sound stage lacking in ability to create a sense of space and put sounds in "place." Compared to something like the ER4S, the ER4S does significantly better in terms of creating a full dimensionalized sound space and really shows what the PFE is lacking. The Triple.Fi is an improvement on the PFE in terms of giving placement and separation. I agree it does sound closed in like all information exists within a virtual room, but it's just better putting sounds where they should be and create good layering and dimension. The PFE just doesn't do this.

It's tough to call the midrange on the Triple.Fi lacking. It's simply that the PFE accents the midrange more, so it stands out more. I really do like the driver used in the PFE. It's quite enjoyable to listen to. The Triple.Fi simply isn't lacking though. Try running a pink noise test and EQ each earphone. Winamp with some EQ software is a free route, although, it's annoying to use with the several second delay when adjusting.

The Triple.Fi spanks the PFE on the treble end. There are two main reasons for this. First, the high end on the PFE is a bit ragged. It's not "this sounds like crap" ragged, but it's significant enough. If you ever EQ it smooth, the PFE actually sounds quite a bit better. Second, the PFE rolls off earlier then the Triple.Fi. The PFE is well extended and rolls off late enough not to care, but the Triple.Fi simply doesn't roll off at all before it becomes inaudible. Basically there is no limit on the top end.

I'm surprised by the comments on the bottom end. I always thought the PFE did with on the low end and was decently extended. Unfortunately, I haven't owned a PFE for a while now, so I can only go by memory. The Triple.Fi may extend more before rolling off, but usability is similar for both. If you EQ each, both will give you a 30Hz tone if you want it. There are of course other earphones that just do bass better though, like the Westone UM3X or Sennheiser IE8. Both will give you 30Hz without rolling off and needing EQing to do it.

Agreed on efficiency. I'll just make a note that the PFE does benefit a little bit from an amp. It cleans up the bottom end a little bit and retains the dynamic breadth better in the lower notes. The Triple.Fi couldn't care less what's driving it.

I would love to see Phonak come out with a multi-driver IEM. Heck, I'd love to see Etymotic do that too for that matter. You're just more able to get a smoother and broader response from the multi-driver setups. The hard part is driver choice and blending those drivers well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back