Brickwall Surge Protector
Jul 31, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #17 of 29
well. that's the point. no sense in buying expensive gear if you are not going to protect it. if it provides any kind of line filtering/conditioning as well, that's a bonus, but not as important.

Jul 31, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #18 of 29
my brickwall arrived. super fast shipping from this place. only took a few days. hooked it up. i now know what people mean by "black background." this was noticeable right away. whether there are any other sonic benefits, it is hard to say.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 29
I have had mine for about 6 months, and I love it. It is built like a tank. I really have peace of mind knowing that there are no MOVs that can fail over time. I have not noticed any lack of dynamics due to it being used to protect my audio stuff.

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #20 of 29
with blacker background, little details not heard before come out. everything is definitely a bit crisper. a nice tweak. very happy with this purchase.

Aug 1, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #21 of 29
I asked Zero Surge if they make European models. Apparently they make 240V compatible units, but with US sockets. Could get one with some kettle leads but...

I'm just not that convinced. If these things really were that good, surely someone would be selling them in Europe or Japan by now.

Aug 1, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #22 of 29
When you buy a brickwall you're really buying peace of mind. I think that's worth $200 for most of our audio setups, especially considering that it will literally last a lifetime.

Oh, and the fact it acts as a line conditioner is a good bonus
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is true, but some better quality MOV based protectors have a light to let you know when that happens...

Be careful with this. I've read on different sites that this light really doesn't mean anything. It apparently only tells you if there's been a catastrophic failure (like from a gigantic surge), whereas if the MOV fails by slow degradation (from repeated small surges), the light will not change.

Sep 17, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #24 of 29
Dunno about europe, but I hear that the reason they don't sell them in japan is because they don't bond neutral to ground at the house/service panel.
The brickwall/zerosurge/etc units work by soaking up most of the surge energy in a large inductor, then bleeding the rest through a filter circuit into the neutral where it eventually hits the panel and gets sent to earth ground.
Without that bond at the panel all you have is the inductor in line with the hot wire(which probably does most of the work) which defeats the purpose of the rest of the unit.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #25 of 29
I've used a Brickwall for 3 or 4 years now and like it. I previously had a Monster HTS2000 (IIRC). The noise from the dimmer in our dining room was not affected at all by the Monster... the Brickwall completely eliminated it. I run my whole system into it, including the Stratos pwr amp, and don't notice any ill effects, compared to plugging the amp straight into the wall. YMMV on this however, as some people do claim they constrict larger amps.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #26 of 29
Can anyone with a Brickwall tell me how much power it uses when on, with nothing plugged into it? 

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #27 of 29
  Can anyone with a Brickwall tell me how much power it uses when on, with nothing plugged into it? 

I answered my own question by buying one. It draws 1 watt itself when plugged in, whether it's on or off.  To me that's negligible. Quite happy with it so far. 

Jan 15, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #28 of 29
I answered my own question by buying one. It draws 1 watt itself when plugged in, whether it's on or off. To me that's negligible. Quite happy with it so far.
Do you still use the brick wall?just got 2 zero surge units for my house. Did you notice any slight sonic benefits?

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 29
Do you still use the brick wall?just got 2 zero surge units for my house. Did you notice any slight sonic benefits?
No, I ended up trading it away as I did not notice any improvement over just using one of these:

https://amzn.to/3qtj7WL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back