Brick Wall Rackmount Audio Surge Protector PWRM15AUD ?
Oct 30, 2005 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
http://www2.catalognavigator.com/bri...=spec&filter=0

Does anyone have any opinions about this unit for audio/studio recording?

They also make a 20A version of this unit; what's the difference? Does that depend on your power input to your household?

http://www2.catalognavigator.com/bri...=spec&filter=0

^ they also make that unit, it looks to be the same but it says it's "modular"?

Is there a difference?

any help would be great! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 16
I think it would be fine. I use the PW8R15AUD personally, and have been very pleased with its filtering (even tho it isn't touted as a line filter). The 20amp units should have heavier power cords / 20 amp AC connectors and possibly beefier parts internally. They are intended for someone who has say a dedicated 20 amp audio line run in their home (popular) etc. and wants to run high power amps from the unit.

Mine does just fine with a 150W/ch Odyssey (haven't noticed any loss of dynamics, etc. when compared to plugging it straight into the wall).

Oct 31, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Thanks for the AA links, will def. check them out!

About the 20 Amp line ...... is this expensive to do? What benefits would one get to run a 20A line into the house versus 15A? [is 15A what currently runs thru most households?]

Any word on what the "modular" version is?

Oct 31, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by badtz
Thanks for the AA links, will def. check them out!

About the 20 Amp line ...... is this expensive to do? What benefits would one get to run a 20A line into the house versus 15A? [is 15A what currently runs thru most households?]

Any word on what the "modular" version is?

You would need to check with an electrician on how expensive that would be, but do a search over on AA for "dedicated" lines, etc. Most houses anymore have at least 200 amp breaker boxes (main). 15A is commonly used for most lights/outlets etc. Kitchens (some) may get 20A. The benefits are more power (assuming you have equipment that needs it) and cleaner power because nothing else is on the circuit.

Nov 1, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 16
Pars, when you say "more power" does that mean the power that the protector is passing on to the equipment is cleaner? Or do you mean the protector can have more outlets on them because of the 20A ?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #7 of 16
it just means you can draw more current... bigger amps, more stuff or whatnot... if your pulling more than 15a then you can afford a 20a circuit more than likely
wink.gif

it has nothing to do with how clean the power is, its all coming from the same panel anyway

most household circuits are 15a and if that surge protector can actually handle 20a then it will have a 20a 120v plug which wont fit in a regular outlet

Nov 3, 2005 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 16
flecom: do you happen to know what "modular" [in the link above] indicates?

also, by putting other studio equipment above or below this surge protector, would it cause any type of intereference [thus, affecting the audio] (interfaces, midi interface,etc.]

Do you happento know of any other rackmount surge units I should look at?

thanks!

Nov 30, 2005 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 16
A lot of people seem to feel that any sort of line filtering "chokes" the power for an amp. Personally, I'd rather live with that, knowing that my stuff is protected from power surges, but I'm kinda strange that way
tongue.gif

The BrickWall stuff is the best I've seen as far as surge protection is concerned. I use it for all my computer and other gear, including my audio setup. I never did any detailed listening tests to see if it really "choked" the sound, so ignorance is bliss, in this case...

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 16
As far as I can tell, the Modular version looks like the Rackmount, except it doesn't have the mounting ears and comes with rubber feet.

Dec 7, 2005 at 9:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Is there a difference between a surge protector and a line filter?

They seem like they would do the same thing.

Also, in the case of this Brickwall unit (or any surge protector), since it mainly prevents the spikes in your power, how about when the power becomes slightly too low?

Should I be concerned in how to protect the system when this occurs? Is there something else I should look into?

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by badtz
Is there a difference between a surge protector and a line filter?

They seem like they would do the same thing.

Also, in the case of this Brickwall unit (or any surge protector), since it mainly prevents the spikes in your power, how about when the power becomes slightly too low?

Should I be concerned in how to protect the system when this occurs? Is there something else I should look into?

smily_headphones1.gif

Properly designed, a PSU will not be damaged by too low an input voltage. The better ones sense the fault and simply switch off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back