Brick & mortar record store database
May 23, 2006 at 11:44 AM Post #31 of 85
Yeah Great Escape seems pretty picked over being so close to the universities. Mostly I found some really good Jazz there but for rock they were lacking. Oh yeah and thousands of backissues of Playboy makes a place cool too. Stay away from Grimey's if you have any love for indie rock. New indie rock albums do have the benefit though of coming in around $12-20, still better than audiophile repressings and whatnot. I've gotten very few indie rock new pressings that sounded bad, usually just a bit more surface noise due to recycled vinyl.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #35 of 85
I really have to get behind House of Records on Pico in LA (mentioend above) and the Hollywood Amoeba.

I have a friend up in Berkeley who makes me take him to House of Records every time he is down here. Great deals, great atmosphere.

The Amoeba in Hollywood is amazing. And, in my experience, the salespeople have amazingly good taste. I have picked up some of the cornerstones of my Hip hop and reggae collection from them. I can't recommend them enough.

Nov 26, 2006 at 6:51 AM Post #36 of 85
Here is more for the texas area

Dallas
Good Records ...an adventure in listening.
1808 Lower Greenville Ave.
Dallas, TX 75206
(214)752-4663
Physical Store Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 10am - 11pm
Friday - Saturday: 10am - 12am
Sunday: 11am - 9pm
Shop online 24 hours a day 7 days a week 365 days a year.

Dallas
C D Source 1/2 Price C D's (best deals)
5500 Greenville Ave # 201
Dallas, TX 75206
(214) 890-7614

Dallas
CD World
5706 E Mockingbird at Greenville
(under 24 Hour Fitness)
(214) 826-1885

Addison
CD World
5000 Beltline at North Dallas Tollway
(across from Hooters)
(972) 386-6565

Austin
Waterloo Records
600 N Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78703-5400, US

Dec 20, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MASSACHUSETTS:

The Record Exchange

256 Washington St, Salem, MA 01970

lots of nice, new cds, records, and movies, also a great used collection for much less money. used cds are always either in perfect condition, or are labeled as having "surface marks," which brings the price way way down and normally means that there's a very small and insignificant scratch that eac will barely notice.

you can also trade cds in, and they give pretty good prices for them (you can get cash for them, as well as trading for other albums, though why you'd do that I don't know)

x2 to this. i love the record exchange. just got three vinyls there for $9, all in excellent condition.

also...
NEW HAMPSHIRE

Bull Moose Records
356-366 So. Broadway
Salem, NH 03079
603-898-6254
Hours: 10am - midnight every day

This place doesn't have too big of a used vinyl selection, although the whole setup or whatever you call it facing the storefront is all used vinyl. They have a TON of used CD's as well as new ones, as well as a somewhat small but nice used game section. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they carried Atari, NES, and SNES games. But this isn't a game board, so they also have a bit of audio equipment (some sony headphones and some other company i forget), and your usual indie record store gimmicks (little fun things and a ton of incense).

a lot of different places across new england

Newbury comics
http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_...=103&deptnr=60

I love Newbury Comics. They always have a good size section for new vinyls. I haven't ever seen used vinyls at one. An amazing selection of new and used CD's. It's my favorite record store to go to if i'm looking for CD's. Wicked good prices, too. $8-12 for most new CD's, and less than that for used ones. The ones in The Garage at Harvard Square and Newbury Street (the original one) in Boston are the best.

Jan 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #38 of 85
Spin Records
Carlsbad, CA
On the corner of Grand Ave and Pacific Coast Highway

I went there today for the first time. It's a small hole in the wall store, but it's completely stuffed with music. I was able to find lots of shoegaze. I found Ride's Nowhere used, The Wonder Stuff's 8 Legged Groove Machine used, Swervedriver new, and Pale Saints' Slow Buildings new. They have too much to list.

Mar 1, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #39 of 85
Gotta represent my hometown.

Cincinnati
Everybody's Records
By far the best place to get music in the Ohio Valley. It's not going to match up to somethig from Chicago, but it's the place to go if you happen to stumble into Cincinnati. Located in the beautiful neighborhood of Pleasant Ridge.
www.everbodysrecords.net

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #40 of 85
Ann Arbor, MICHIGAN

Encore Recordings

All used records and CDs and some reels. Have great experiences there. They really know their music and are very down to earth. They have a website too
http://www.encorerecordings.com/

Mar 30, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #42 of 85
Phonoluxe: YES!

I LOVE this store. I'm bad though; I can't walk out of there with at LEAST 5 cds in my posession. The owner rocks also. He's very helpful in finding what you are looking for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by utarch00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found this little gem.

Phonoluxe Records
2609 Nolensville Pike
Nashville, TN 37211-2216
(615) 259-3500

Apr 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #43 of 85
GREAT Indie Music/Art store called Relative Theory here in Norfolk, Va. They also opened a new local restaurant called The Boot nearby.

Also Volume CD's in Virginia Beach for plastic, and Birdland Records in Virginia Beach for Wax.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #45 of 85
Honolulu (Aiea), HI

[size=x-small]Jelly's Music[/size]
Harbor Center Shopping Plaza
98-023 Hekaha St. Suite B1-9
Aiea, Hawaii 96701
(808) 484-4413

A used vinyl, CD, and book store with a guitar shop thrown in for good measure. The only good used record store I know of in Hawaii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back