Bricasti M1S2 D/A Converter (DAC) - Now Available and in Stock
Mar 15, 2023 at 10:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8
22436_source_1678739145.jpg

M1S2 D/A Converter (DAC)
Bricasti
$12,000.00​

Model 1 Series II D/A Converter​

The M1 Series II introduces a new look and feel to the M1 series of products and encompasses many elements of Bricasti Design’s vast wealth of experience engineering precision D/A’s to transform the M1 with the audio purist in mind. The M1S2 is focused on simplicity of design and includes a host of new performance milestones including our latest MDx processor, new higher current twin linear power supplies with larger performance capacitors, all fit into a handcrafted chassis milled from solid aluminum that stands taller in size fitted with the same M1SE feet as standard.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Here we go again, let’s spent 200000 on a dac… or maybe 300000 why not
It’s all relative… a $400 HD650 is a starter headphone to one person and beyond rational thinking to another. This entire hobby is built on diminishing returns.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Here we go again, let’s spent 200000 on a dac… or maybe 300000 why not
It is $12,000. @thehutch is right. Buy what you can afford and don’t besmirch those who can afford something different. I will never afford this DAC, but somebody else will and I am sure it will be worth every penny to them.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 8
It is $12,000. @thehutch is right. Buy what you can afford and don’t besmirch those who can afford something different. I will never afford this DAC, but somebody else will and I am sure it will be worth every penny to them.
I worked in Hifi, the margins on these devices are crazy, sometimes a 20000 or 10000 euro device, we bought for half of that price and forced by the manufacturer to sell it for that price. Otherwise we had issues with them.

How crazy is that,
In that way it is only available for the rich, and that is the reason I lost respect for these kind of companies. I hated that I sometimes had people in the shop loving a device, knowning d*mn well that they easily could have affort it, if I wasn’t forced to charge the full price (yes okay I was allowed 10% sometimes)

They actually made me quit selling equipment altogether, because it was disgusting in my opionion.

So yes I have issues with companies charging this kind of crazy prices. I have more respect for companies like Burson, Schiit, ifi, topping, Chord, hifiman etc… which aren’t cheap, but have real real good equipment for a more normal price.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 8
I worked in Hifi, the margins on these devices are crazy, sometimes a 20000 or 10000 euro device, we bought for half of that price and forced by the manufacturer to sell it for that price. Otherwise we had issues with them.

How crazy is that,
In that way it is only available for the rich, and that is the reason I lost respect for these kind of companies. I hated that I sometimes had people in the shop loving a device, knowning d*mn well that they easily could have affort it, if I wasn’t forced to charge the full price (yes okay I was allowed 10% sometimes)

So yes I have issues with companies charging this kind of crazy prices. I have more respect for companies like Burson, Schiit, ifi, topping, Chord, hifiman etc…
I understand your point. Margins in this industry tend to be pretty high. But, it is a niche market. Topping is stood up by the Chinese Gov't and it isn't a fair comparison to the companies who have to scrape and claw to compete. Burson, Schiit, and Hifiman all have products that range in upwards of 10x from bottom to top. Chord's equivalent product to the Bricasti M1S2 is actually more than the Bricasti. I get it, I can't afford most of the stuff I read about, or want, but I also don't begrudge those who can. If you want summit fi sound from Hifiman you are paying top dollar. Same from Burson whose top tier products eclipse $3k now. The cost of audio has gotten out of control, but I don't know if that is because of companies like Bricasti who have been around a long time and make products that are considered to be extremely well built. Whether or not any of it is worth the money is an argument or discussion we could have for days. TOTL headphones used to be $2k. Now they eclipse $7500 and are heading towards the $10k mark. It has become harder and harder to be a consumer as I am sure it is even harder to be a manufacturer. Fighting for every customer, charging prices that ensure they can make it to their next product and continue to develop and ideate. I don't feel sorry for them, just as I don't feel sorry for those who can't afford the M1S2. And I am one of those who cannot afford the M1S2.

Mar 16, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 8
I understand your point. Margins in this industry tend to be pretty high. But, it is a niche market. Topping is stood up by the Chinese Gov't and it isn't a fair comparison to the companies who have to scrape and claw to compete. Burson, Schiit, and Hifiman all have products that range in upwards of 10x from bottom to top. Chord's equivalent product to the Bricasti M1S2 is actually more than the Bricasti. I get it, I can't afford most of the stuff I read about, or want, but I also don't begrudge those who can. If you want summit fi sound from Hifiman you are paying top dollar. Same from Burson whose top tier products eclipse $3k now. The cost of audio has gotten out of control, but I don't know if that is because of companies like Bricasti who have been around a long time and make products that are considered to be extremely well built. Whether or not any of it is worth the money is an argument or discussion we could have for days. TOTL headphones used to be $2k. Now they eclipse $7500 and are heading towards the $10k mark. It has become harder and harder to be a consumer as I am sure it is even harder to be a manufacturer. Fighting for every customer, charging prices that ensure they can make it to their next product and continue to develop and ideate. I don't feel sorry for them, just as I don't feel sorry for those who can't afford the M1S2. And I am one of those who cannot afford the M1S2.
I am talking about margins forces upon the manufacturor. I hated it, not beeing able to sell a device to someone who loved it but couldn’t effort it(because of that forced margin!) We would have fine been as a shop fine by selling the device for a lower price, but wasn’t allowed to, margins the shop I worked had to charge was around 80 to 90%.

protecting the market was always the excuse, the real excuse was keeping it a niche market on purpose. I always hates that approach. It’s disgusting. I agree you need a amount of money to keep investing in new inventions.

BUT that has nothing to do with forced margins to keep it niche.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back