Bricasti M1 DAC impressions.
Jul 6, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #121 of 220
@preproman - Congrats. What an amazing system you've got there.

I'm looking at the following DAC's re: my next DAC purchase:

- Bricasti M1
- Totaldac D1 Dual
- Metrum Pavane

I've already got an MSB Analog + Analog Powerbase which I love, but after something a touch different by way of tonality, and if possible resolution.

Of the 3 listed the pricing and user feedback suggest that the Totaldac should come out ahead, comfortably. However I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the Bricast and Totaldac contrast against one another.

I have a chance to source one for a touch under $AU10K or $US7K including both the USB and DSD upgrades.

Cheers,
GS

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #122 of 220
  Congrats on your M1! Let us know what do you think about it.
Is funny how we all have different taste. I really like the combination of natural aluminum and black. Same ting happens with sound that is why this hobby is so much fun and nobody can really speak in absolute terms.

How s that KGST with the SR-009?

The KGST is a pretty darn good amp for the 009s.  I like it a lot and I can live it if I had to.  However, I think the 007s can sound a lot better.  In fact, I've heard them sound better many times on different BHSEs..

Yeah, If this DAC came is all Stealth Black - that would been killer.  I know,different strokes for different folks.

beerchug.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #123 of 220
  @preproman - Congrats. What an amazing system you've got there.

I'm looking at the following DAC's re: my next DAC purchase:

- Bricasti M1
- Totaldac D1 Dual
- Metrum Pavane

I've already got an MSB Analog + Analog Powerbase which I love, but after something a touch different by way of tonality, and if possible resolution.

Of the 3 listed the pricing and user feedback suggest that the Totaldac should come out ahead, comfortably. However I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the Bricast and Totaldac contrast against one another.

I have a chance to source one for a touch under $AU10K or $US7K including both the USB and DSD upgrades.

Cheers,
GS

If you already got the MSB the TotalDac may sound similar, I'm not sure (I haven't heard any of the MSB DACs).  The M1 will have a different sound.  That's why I went with M1.  One reason I went with the M1 is for DSD.  I don't have DSD on the TotalDac. 

The Pavane is a mystery right now.  I hope to see more user impressions and some comparisons to other DAC soon.

Then there's the Yggdrasil.  A very good DAC regardless of price, it just wasn't the sound I was looking for at the time.

beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #124 of 220

If you already got the MSB the TotalDac may sound similar, I'm not sure (I haven't heard any of the MSB DACs).  The M1 will have a different sound.  That's why I went with M1.  One reason I went with the M1 is for DSD.  I don't have DSD on the TotalDac. 

The Pavane is a mystery right now.  I hope to see more user impressions and some comparisons to other DAC soon.

Then there's the Yggdrasil.  A very good DAC regardless of price, it just wasn't the sound I was looking for at the time.

beerchug.gif

I think if you got M1 for DSD you might be missing a lot. TotalDac just wiped the floor with M1, and that coming from M1 owner. M1 filer was set in minimum0 and D1 treble fir was on. 

beerchug.gif

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #125 of 220
Mind you, I haven't tried with DSD but isn't the totaldac compensation filter only operating with 44.1k material? I.e., where the reconstruction filter has most influence in the audio band.

I certainly heard the effect of the compensation filter with 44.1k material (and actually listen filter off, even 44.1k material), but I would be much more hard pressed for my HD (88.2k/96k) material. Hence the question...

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #126 of 220
Mind you, I haven't tried with DSD but isn't the totaldac compensation filter only operating with 44.1k material? I.e., where the reconstruction filter has most influence in the audio band.

I certainly heard the effect of the compensation filter with 44.1k material (and actually listen filter off, even 44.1k material), but I would be much more hard pressed for my HD (88.2k/96k) material. Hence the question...

No, that filter will do nothing for DSD. I was listening to some redbook and hi-res material also last night. The filer is only be effective up to 96K PCM. 

For redbook, both DAC's are performing very good. Slight edge for M1 for details. D1 is a bit more laid back.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #127 of 220
I finally joined the ranks and purchased a Bricasti M1.  I thought I was done with delta-sigma DACs and had my sights set on a TotalDAC d1 but comments made by preproman and others convinced me to give this DAC a try and I can't be happier.  Very resolving and stunning transients, hard to imagine it gets better although I haven't heard any of the uber DACs >$15k.  A good match for my SR-009/BHSE and a truly good match for my upcoming Eddie Current Studio and HE-1000.  At this point, I am not wanting for anything more but I remain curious about this DAC compared to my original target, the TotalDAC d1-dual so all impressions provided are much appreciated.  

I have communicated with Vincent Brient and he believes I would be able to notice obvious further improvements between his d1-dual and his d1-monobloc/d1-twelve with a pair of SR-009s but this might just be salesmanship talking although the thought of it is intriguing.  Almost worth it to take a side trip to Mont Saint-Michel the next time I'm in Europe.

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #129 of 220

Slight edge for M1 for details. D1 is a bit more laid back.

Do you have an overall preference for the d1 vs the M1 and why?

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #130 of 220
Aug 10, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #131 of 220
Don't try this with your Bricasti...or maybe you should.  HEK connected directly to the balanced outputs of M1.

Based on what others have done with their TotalDac d1-dual, I thought I would try connecting my headphones sans amplifier directly to the balanced outputs of my M1.  The TotalDac's balanced ouputs put out a healthy 6.2v rms (the standard output is 2v rms) which translates to about 1 watt of a pure unadulterated signal per Vincent Brient.  After speaking with Brian Zolner, the balanced outputs of the M1 with its adjustable gain puts out an even more robust 14v rms or about 2 watts, more than enough to very robustly drive the HEK.  Brian encouraged me to give it a go and so I had Drew Baird at Moon Audio create a Silver Dragon cable for me terminated with dual FEMALE 3-pin XLRs (most headphones come with dual MALE 3-pin XLRs so you need to make sure you note this difference).  The cable needs to be broken in but WOW, possibly as good as any amp.  I am detecting no distortion.  Transparent?  Talk about removing all veils.  Ultra low noise floor as you only hear the DAC.  Also UNLIMITED bandwidth, something that can't be said with even with most resolving tube amp.  

And yes, this is an M1 but with a powder coated top (thanks, Darryl).

Aug 11, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #133 of 220
  Don't try this with your Bricasti...or maybe you should.  HEK connected directly to the balanced outputs of M1.

Based on what others have done with their TotalDac d1-dual, I thought I would try connecting my headphones sans amplifier directly to the balanced outputs of my M1.  The TotalDac's balanced ouputs put out a healthy 6.2v rms (the standard output is 2v rms) which translates to about 1 watt of a pure unadulterated signal per Vincent Brient.  After speaking with Brian Zolner, the balanced outputs of the M1 with its adjustable gain puts out an even more robust 14v rms or about 2 watts, more than enough to very robustly drive the HEK.  Brian encouraged me to give it a go and so I had Drew Baird at Moon Audio create a Silver Dragon cable for me terminated with dual FEMALE 3-pin XLRs (most headphones come with dual MALE 3-pin XLRs so you need to make sure you note this difference).  The cable needs to be broken in but WOW, possibly as good as any amp.  I am detecting no distortion.  Transparent?  Talk about removing all veils.  Ultra low noise floor as you only hear the DAC.  Also UNLIMITED bandwidth, something that can't be said with even with most resolving tube amp.  

Yup. I had a similar experience with my TotalDAC. I only tried to single-ended output (3.1 Vrms) and it was more than enough to drive my HD800. But more importantly, the sound was significantly better than when putting an amplifier (LAu) in the chain. Doesn't apply to all amplifiers though. The GS-X really makes the TotalDAC shine.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #134 of 220

All I read was "Try this"...

I'm just experimenting with this - M1 directly to HD800's - it's actually VERY impressive.  Surprisingly so...

Aug 30, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #135 of 220

All I read was "Try this"...

I'm just experimenting with this - M1 directly to HD800's - it's actually VERY impressive.  Surprisingly so...

All that's missing is the tonal richness that only tubes can provide.  Otherwise, as good a presentation as I've heard from any solid state amp (maybe even better).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back