Breathing problem...?
Jun 27, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkHead
well it could be a hormonal problem but i doubt it given my (and his)symptoms are somewhat limited to the exhausteness(sp?!) and the breathing issue.
i tried forcing a constant breathing pattern for a few hours now, and although it pretty annoying i think its starting to help. i might even add a couple of yogic breathing exercises in the next few days.
CHEERS

What breathing exercises are you doing? Is there any online sites/links I can go to to read up on them?

Thanks,

Jun 28, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #32 of 47
you can choose any of the basic yogic exercises 2in-1hold-4out... 3in-2hold-8out.. just google it and youll easily find the info you'r seeking. oh and one more thing, try doing what im doing- force your breathing into patterns as much as you can throughout the day. it already began to help me after only two days.
CHEERS

Jun 28, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
Lately I noticed that (ok more like starting from last year after a "party") I don't quite feel "right." No matter how long I slept I always wake up tired. It seems to me that I'm always yawning and feel the need for air. This in term makes my head feel unclear/hazy. But I have no problem running a mile in 5:30, playing active sport for 3+ hours, or keeping my grades up... What's wrong with me? Is my breathing pattern somehow disturbed?

sounds like sleep apnea to me. just a thought though...

Jun 28, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #34 of 47
I could be anything. Have you installed new carpeting in your home or bedroom? It could be chemical fumes. It could be the workplace as industrial strength cleaners are often used along with new carpeting always being installed, artifical lights could be playing havoc with your body, ceiling tiles being constantly disturbed, etc. It could be as simple as MSG in your foods. Or as simple as your needing a new mattress and pillow. The fact that you wake up tired may indicate that you are always thinking in your sleep. A better bed may relax you enough to the point where your mind thinks less. A more thinking mind may indicate more stress in your life.

So while you are doing your medical tests, look around your whole environment and look for clues. Something as simple as changing your linen to smooth cotton and getting new blankets and a pillow may help. Try to become aware as to why you are having these reactions, contemplate backwards their roots; listen to your body's craving of foods and experiment slowly. Take a week's vacation elsewhere and see if the symptoms are still in evidence.

Do you have an ozone generator in your home? Do you regularly change the water in your humidifier? Is your air conditioner set too low? Do you drink very cold drinks on hot days? Do you use Air Wicks and perfumes? etc. etc. etc.

Jun 28, 2004 at 8:40 PM Post #35 of 47
Zuert, does your breathing slow down and you don`t notice it for a while? Does it slow down even while you`re doing something like cleaning the house or walking?

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #36 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkHead
you can choose any of the basic yogic exercises 2in-1hold-4out... 3in-2hold-8out.. just google it and youll easily find the info you'r seeking. oh and one more thing, try doing what im doing- force your breathing into patterns as much as you can throughout the day. it already began to help me after only two days.
CHEERS

Do you breath through your mouth most of the times? I notice I breath through my moth most since most of the times my nose are stuffy...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Zuert, does your breathing slow down and you don`t notice it for a while? Does it slow down even while you`re doing something like cleaning the house or walking?

I didn't notice/remember my breathing slowing down I just sometimes find myself not breathing... or maybe it because my head is so unclear/hazy that I feel like I'm not breathing...

Jun 29, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #37 of 47
I`ve also noticed lately that my nose is stuffy also, like all the time...

And it clears like once every 6 months and i feel more air and more engery...then it becomes stuffy again in a matter of secs..

Hey if you breathe through your mouth for a while, does your nose clear up a bit?

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #38 of 47
May want to see a doctor about sinus issues or a possible deviated septum if your nose feels constantly stuffy (possibly allergies too). Breathing through your nose is the way to go if you can. The little hairs in your nose act as a natural filter for the air you breathe and keep a lot of dangerous crap out of your lungs.

I second the yogic breathing exercises as potentially helpful. The idea is to make your breathing slow, deep, and controlled. When you get good, you can probably get down to 4 or 5 cycles of breath per minute. Belly breathing is the prescribed method. For a demonstration, put your left hand on your chest and your right hand on the lower part of your stomach. Now breathe, and notice which hand moves - it's probably the one on your chest. With practice, you should be able to draw deep breaths that fill up your belly and cause that hand to move and the chest hand to not move at all, or only move a little after your lungs are nearly full. This is similar to the breathing singers use (which someone else recommended). It's deeper than the shallow chest breathing most people use and should help get more oxygen in. Some people breathe very shallowly, using only the throat or very upper chest to draw in air, and that can cause some problems over time. They're also prone to sounding like Darth Vader
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #39 of 47
better get a cardiolite stress test to check out the heart. Sometimes the heart at rest may have difficulty supplying blood. also check out your ozygen llevel (lung efficiency) this should be between 93 & 100% a simple i minute check with a clamp sensor on your finger.
I just had bypass. so regardless of age get the heart test.

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:11 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
better get a cardiolite stress test to check out the heart. Sometimes the heart at rest may have difficulty supplying blood. also check out your ozygen llevel (lung efficiency) this should be between 93 & 100% a simple i minute check with a clamp sensor on your finger.
I just had bypass. so regardless of age get the heart test.

I think I've heard it all in this thread!! As a qualified doctor it amazes me how a little information can be dangerous. What is more worrying that without even seeing the person in question that there are many unqualified people wading in with ridiculous suggestionson what the diagnosis is and what investigations need to be done.

I'm afraid that no sane doctor would request a cardiac stress test for a 19 year old who plays 3 hours of active sport a day and feels better afterwards. The stress test really isn't going to find anything in this case!! I note that you comment the heart at rest may have difficulty supplying blood, but then recommend a stress test which looks at the heart's response to exercise!!

Oxygen saturations won't be helpful as someone who can play that amount of sport isn't struggling with oxygen levels. Besides the normal range is 97-99% in a non-smoking 19 year old. Certainly anything less than 96% would concern me.

There is nothing in Zuerst's symptoms to believe there is a serious cardiac cause so please can we stop scaring him unnecessarily unless it is backed up with some evidence??

Jun 29, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
I think I've heard it all in this thread!! As a qualified doctor it amazes me how a little information can be dangerous. What is more worrying that without even seeing the person in question that there are many unqualified people wading in with ridiculous suggestionson what the diagnosis is and what investigations need to be done.

I'm afraid that no sane doctor would request a cardiac stress test for a 19 year old who plays 3 hours of active sport a day and feels better afterwards. The stress test really isn't going to find anything in this case!! I note that you comment the heart at rest may have difficulty supplying blood, but then recommend a stress test which looks at the heart's response to exercise!!

Oxygen saturations won't be helpful as someone who can play that amount of sport isn't struggling with oxygen levels. Besides the normal range is 97-99% in a non-smoking 19 year old. Certainly anything less than 96% would concern me.

There is nothing in Zuerst's symptoms to believe there is a serious cardiac cause so please can we stop scaring him unnecessarily unless it is backed up with some evidence??

I didnt intend to scare anyone. About 5 weeks ago a "normal" healthy man age 23 who ran miles per day without any obvious heart symptoms died from a heart attack. Maybe a stess test could have saved him.

Jun 29, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertR
I didnt intend to scare anyone. About 5 weeks ago a "normal" healthy man age 23 who ran miles per day without any obvious heart symptoms died from a heart attack. Maybe a stess test could have saved him.

It's difficult to say but is most certainly a stress test would have helped.

I have supervised maybe 100 exercise tolerance tests (treadmill) that I am sure you are refering to. It requires a number of factors to give a risk assessment on the test (age, sex, symtoms, ECG changes, etc). Almost everything would have to be positive in a young person to consitute a positive test because the overall risk is low. If someone runs miles a day then they are recreating what an exercise test does and without symptoms an exercise test will be negative.

It is actually difficult for pathogists to prove a myocardial infarction (heart attack) less than 24-48 hours old. Often it is recorded as a cause of death if no other obvious cause is found. Sudden cardiac death in young people is usually related to valve problems or dissecting coronary arteries which would have been unlikely to show up in an exercise test.

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big D
It's difficult to say but is most certainly a stress test would have helped.

I have supervised maybe 100 exercise tolerance tests (treadmill) that I am sure you are refering to. It requires a number of factors to give a risk assessment on the test (age, sex, symtoms, ECG changes, etc). Almost everything would have to be positive in a young person to consitute a positive test because the overall risk is low. If someone runs miles a day then they are recreating what an exercise test does and without symptoms an exercise test will be negative.

It is actually difficult for pathogists to prove a myocardial infarction (heart attack) less than 24-48 hours old. Often it is recorded as a cause of death if no other obvious cause is found. Sudden cardiac death in young people is usually related to valve problems or dissecting coronary arteries which would have been unlikely to show up in an exercise test.

part of the stress test is the examinations of arterial flow with radioactive dye.I Agree that a tradmill test may not show abnormalities but mine showed a few and it was not till I got the invasive cath procedure was blockage discovered that resulted in a 7way bypass the following day. If I had not had that last test i would not be enjoying music today.I never had any outstanding symptoms except shoulder pain which I thought was arthritis.

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 47
I was just watching this on a tv ad...

Is it really possible to be in shape but have high cholestoral? (sp?)

Jun 29, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
I was just watching this on a tv ad...

Is it really possible to be in shape but have high cholestoral? (sp?)

yes. especially if you have familial hypercholesterolemia. (genetic disorder, about 1:500 people has it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back