Breaking news! Chinese company acquires Stax..
Dec 16, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #301 of 330

Quote:
I imagine that whatever happens we still have a month or two at least for ordering the 009 as they are now, wouldn't you think so?

Production hasn't stopped and isn't going to according to Stax. Nor is production moving.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #304 of 330
Hopefully it won't impact the quailty of the products. I don't have doubt that China can have great quailty if needed, but the company that acquired STAX is not giving me any confidence seeing the poor products they produce.

I have seen quite a few Edifier 2.1 computer speaker sets, and the workmanship is not what I call great.

Dec 16, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #305 of 330
I wrote one of the senior execs at Edifier and received a polite and well-worded reply.  He told me that Stax and the team at Stax in Japan will remain, and that Edifier will be putting additional investment into the Stax technology and products.

He can't go into more detail at the moment, but from how I interpreted it, the correspondence I received seemed to indicate that they will be conscientious about how to manage and grow Stax.

Dec 16, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #306 of 330
If quality remains the same, I say build build build in China!  I've been wanting to get more Stax gear, but the very weak dollar against the yen keeps me from doing it.  Building in China where the currency is no longer pegged, but certainly not down as much as the yen/dollar rate, is a financial boon for me.  Every time I head to Japan I cringe at the exchange rate knowing how just 5-6 years ago I was getting rates of 110-120 yen/dollar instead of today's abysmal 75-80.  That's a 40-50% increase in Stax gear over a relatively short time.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #307 of 330

Quote:
If quality remains the same, I say build build build in China!  I've been wanting to get more Stax gear, but the very weak dollar against the yen keeps me from doing it.  Building in China where the currency is no longer pegged, but certainly not down as much as the yen/dollar rate, is a financial boon for me.  Every time I head to Japan I cringe at the exchange rate knowing how just 5-6 years ago I was getting rates of 110-120 yen/dollar instead of today's abysmal 75-80.  That's a 40-50% increase in Stax gear over a relatively short time.

That's nothing, try the US Dollar against the UK Pound. At one time there were two Dollars to the Pound, now it's about a Dollar and Half. On top of that most things are quite a bit more expensive in the UK than most other countries.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #308 of 330
STAX have spoken. The nexy gen STAX will still be made in Japan.

http://www.stax.co.jp/Pdf/KAKUI_20111212.pdf

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #309 of 330
Great news.  Now I can wait for the US dollar to recover before I buy my 009.

Good thing the 009s came out after it used to be 1 USD = 110-120 yen, or a lot of people would be kicking themselves about now.

Dec 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #310 of 330
Next year I'm auditioning the JRDG Corus, in the US I believe the retail price is $12,000 but may be got at some places for $9,000. In the UK the Corus is £12,000 which is around $18,650.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #311 of 330

Quote:
Next year I'm auditioning the JRDG Corus, in the US I believe the retail price is $12,000 but may be got at some places for $9,000. In the UK the Corus is £12,000 which is around $18,650.

While I bought my Stax 404 setup used on ebay, my 252 amp and SR-003 cans were bought on a trip to Japan (and a follow-up trip to get another SR-003).  The SR-003 is cheap enough to not get heartburn over the exchange rate.  I was tempted to get a 307, 407, or 507 when I was there again this this year, but cooler heads prevailed.  "The exchange rate dude, just think of the exchange rate...."

For you, at a US $9k difference, sounds like a great reason to have a weekend trip to NYC, get the Corus, find a power converter, pay for the trip and hotel, and still come out several $k ahead.  I've got a Japanese friend who has made a few clothes buying trips to the US - she's a bit larger than the typical J-gal, and getting one custom suit at Takashimaya will pay for her airfare and half a dozen suits here.

BTW, not weeping over the dollar/pound rate.  For one, it's not as bad as dollar/yen, but fortunately for me, it's in my favor!  Will be there next month for a long weekend, taking advantage of my stronger dollar.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #312 of 330
I have a BHSE on order and Justin is doing it 220v to be used in the UK, it would be nice if I could order an item directly from JRDG and have them convert it to 220v then sent straight to me. I'm not tight but I'm also not wealthy, the money I'll be using to buy the BHSE is from a long term savings plan, same if I decided to go for a Corus. I could and should go for something less expensive but listening to music is a very big part of my life.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #313 of 330
Well the thing that many of the bloggers in this forum have fogotten is that the Stax Corporation that you are sad to see being sold off was sold once before.  Many Stax collectors of OLD STAX CORPORATION AND THEIR HEADPHONES/AMPLIFIERS would swear that this was the time of the companies greatest products and accomplishments.  As an OLD STAX collector of headphones and amps; I sometimes think this was the companies hayday and that MIDDLE STAX was a step down as well.  Have you head a pair of Sigma non pros or others from that era on a Stax sra 12s???  I suppose that the same comments were being made at the second Stax sale as they are also being made now. I do think we will all need to wait and see what transpires.  These are just my thoughts at this moment.

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #314 of 330

Quote:

Yep....and attitudes like that is the reason why so many working people in the industrialized world are no longer working. Personally I'm not fond of buying products from a country that's known for human/worker rights violations no matter what the savings might be. I'm going to get off this thread before I get myself banned. See you in the funny papers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back