Breaking news! Chinese company acquires Stax..
Dec 9, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #46 of 330

No, but they can change management and move production offshores for cheaper labor and/or export/import fees and stronger currency of the said country and make a profit while still giving lower prices.

And it is that kind of thinking that has got the world into the state it is in!

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #47 of 330
lets keep the politics and preferences for certain nationalities out of this thread - I think we all understand your point of view on Chinese products

Quote:
And it is that kind of thinking that has got the world into the state it is in!

Dec 9, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #48 of 330

Gasp.png

Edit: Just read through this document from this link

http://bbs.headphoneclub.com/viewthread.php?tid=173763&page=1&fromuid=39054#pid2358501

There is a document on that thread and I believe it is from Edifier itself. There is a very interesting part at the end.

(2)市场风险
    虽然STAX的相关产品技术领先,且在市场上已经具有较大的影响力,但STAX
生产的高端静电耳机,如不能贴近市场的价格需求,就可能出现不被大众市场接受的风险。

Roughly translated, it means

(2) Marketing risks (?)

Even though STAX's products have a technical advantage and has a large influence on the market. The high end electrostats made by STAX might not be close enough to the market's needs in terms of price, which could mean that there is risks of the mass market not accepting it (?)

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #51 of 330
Talking to Chinese and Japanese audiophiles over the summer, I have been hinted that Stax has not been doing well domestically for a long time. One member summarized that among the high-end listening brands, Stax is not the go-to choice for many Eastern communities. They prefer more musical and warmer signatures such as Grado and Westone as opposed to analytical and transparent signatures. Also, they mentioned the current trend is towards IEM (very popular), portable amps, and closed headphones such as Denon. I was surprised when I brought up the ATH-AD2000 that it was heavily unfavored and very difficult to move on the market because it was completely open. I mentioned that Grados and Sennheisers were also open headphones but they replied the Grado has a high degree of enthusiasm because many Chinese makers have tried to clone the drivers albeit their efforts were unsuccessful. The HD650 moves very slowly in stores as well. This news has refreshed what I learned over in Asia and has taught me the audiophiles in the East and West have very different tastes and preferences.  

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #54 of 330
My goodness, say this isn't true!

Now I regret not getting the SR009 early.  Screw this vacation abroad, should have put this money into a nice pair of headphones.

I know we shouldn't talk about foreign policies, but you can't help thinking it.  Any change, particular a big change to a beloved brand is going to illict some strong feelings.

I mean there's a lot of good things that could be possible, cheaper labor, getting their hands on less expensive material from China and that could mean a lower price label and an increase in purchasers due to the price.  Which could mean more money for development and less years to wait for a successor to the amazing SR009s.

At another part of me dreads that they're going to make cheap clones, that there's going to be a flood of imitation Stax (I don't want to see some imitation SR009 that turn out to be dynamics) and a possible attempt to make Stax into a company like Beats.

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm gonna have to prepare for the worst.  Either way, now I'm motivated to get me a pair of SR009 as soon as possible.

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #55 of 330
lets keep the politics and preferences for certain nationalities out of this thread - I think we all understand your point of view on Chinese products

I have nothing against Chinese products and why is it political to state a fact? I a trying to say that if part of a products appeal is it' originating country of manufactured or ownership change of that affects the integrity of the product, I would be sayingt the same thing if a British or US company had taken them over!

Again, watch the video I posted!

Dec 9, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #56 of 330

Quote:
At another part of me dreads that they're going to make cheap clones, that there's going to be a flood of imitation Stax (I don't want to see some imitation SR009 that turn out to be dynamics) and a possible attempt to make Stax into a company like Beats.

I'm hoping for the best, but I'm gonna have to prepare for the worst.  Either way, now I'm motivated to get me a pair of SR009 as soon as possible.

I seriously doubt we're going to see Stax Omega by Jay-Z anytime soon, My biggest concern is that they will try to "refocus" the company to be more profitable - meaning the 009 goes away, and we get new $200 headphones and amps instead.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #58 of 330
If they alter production and the newly built stuff is cheaply made, now would be the best time to start looking for some Stax if you're on the fence.

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #60 of 330

Quote:

(2) Marketing risks (?)

Even though STAX's products have a technical advantage and has a large influence on the market. The high end electrostats made by STAX might not be close enough to the market's needs in terms of price, which could mean that there is risks of the mass market not accepting it (?)

does that mean that stax is going to manufacture beats styled headphones? after all, that's what the "mass market" is after.

I'm very afraid for the future of high end headphones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back