Breaking in M50s?
Feb 16, 2013 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

k0mrade

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just got my M50s in yesterday and I read a review about them and the writer was saying he had to break them in a lot (emphasis on a lot). I'm not experienced with all this stuff, so I'm just wondering how I should go about breaking them in. I have a PC with a Realtek onboard sound card, I also could use my father's receiver that he has speakers hooked up to. If someone could help me out a little bit that would much appreciated, I want to get the best out of my new headphones! Also if it matters, I listen to EDM mostly, some rap and some metal. So I guess that means I like my highs and bass the most? Haha I'm pretty new to all this audiophile stuff. Thanks.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #2 of 3
They change over time, mostly the mid-bass gets a bit cleaner, as I recall.  

Some people hook them up to e.g. a cd player on repeat or connected to a receiver with radio signal -- and play continuously.  Nothing wrong with that so far as I know, but I just put them on and use them.  And then, over time, they break in without having to do anything special.

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 3
What you're thinking of is referred to as burn-in, and you can go about this a few different ways. Some say to play pink noise through your cans, while others say to just simply play your music collection through them. From what I've found it really doesn't matter, just pick a method and burn them in for like 50 hours, or longer if you feel they need it. The sound will improve over time, but at a point it will peak, so I guess do it for as long as you want, it won't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back