Breaking-in headphones, the final verdict!
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #481 of 685
pads couldn't have changed since I didn't listen to them much at that state and just listened for seconds at a time until it sounded listenable. It was really bad. It was just left on with music playing.

I switched to hd600s and px100s everytime to refresh my ears before going back to them to prevent brain burn in. It was thin and really bright... Way brighter than the hd600, more like a dt990 plus the worst part was that it was ringing like crazy like I was listening to karaoke echo before burn in. Most cans that I have owned settle down either in minutes or 8 hours or so tops unlike these which took about 50 hours to be listenable and 150 plus hours to sound consistent.

EDIT: and most cans sound 95% there out of the box and those could be attributed to brain and pad burn in unlike these 555s. I think they were Ireland ones.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #482 of 685
Is brain burn in real?

How does a transducer malfunctioning result in karaoke echo?

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #483 of 685
Is brain burn in real?

How does a transducer malfunctioning result in karaoke echo?

Science has no explanation for some things yet but last time I checked, I was stil 100% sane :D All I know is that those cans sounded really echoey as though something wasn't screwed on tight then after some time they just fixed themselves. It's sort of like having weird hearing for a few days after swimming in deep water, then slowly getting better after all the water has come out of one's ears. I would have said it was me if I didn't have other headphones to alternate them with at the time but the hd600s and px100s I had at the same time were fine so there. I have no other explanations for these ghosts and aliens hehehe

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #484 of 685
While most headphone's I have tried either didn't change with burn in or maybe changed very little, those old hd555s sounded more like they would measure somewhere like this...

Untitled.png

Apr 8, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #485 of 685
Mod comment: Let's keep things civil please :)

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #486 of 685
[1] You're looking pretty blind the way you've been scurrying around ignoring those speaker=headphone=microphone links I've been posting. I swear, the main character of this forum seems to be LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.
[2] Just so you know I notice, BS. :)

1. Then why do you keep saying "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"? We're not ignoring speaker=headphone=mic, you are the one ignoring the fact that there isn't burn-in with mics (when it should be particularly noticeable!) and therefore, following YOUR logic of speaker=headphone=mic, then there shouldn't be any burn-in with speakers or headphones either!

2. Not just "notice" but apparently actively invent and post it as well!

G

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #487 of 685
1. Then why do you keep saying "LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU"? We're not ignoring speaker=headphone=mic, you are the one ignoring the fact that there isn't burn-in with mics (when it should be particularly noticeable!) and therefore, following YOUR logic of speaker=headphone=mic, then there shouldn't be any burn-in with speakers or headphones either!

G

Where are the papers, DBL tests and proof that mics do not get affected by burn in?

I admit it is difficult, as they may start burning in by laying around the lab/studio if they are not in a sound proof box.

But nevertheless, you cannot make statements of fact based on your own opinon or experience without proof, and deny the other side of the argument the same.

Apr 9, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #488 of 685
[1] Where are the papers, DBL tests and proof that mics do not get affected by burn in?
2. But nevertheless, you cannot make statements of fact based on your own opinon or experience without proof, and deny the other side of the argument the same.

1. EXACTLY! You have claimed mics burn-in, where's the evidence to support your claim?
2. I've given you the professional consensus, what evidence have you supplied? Supply some or be a hypocrite!

G

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #489 of 685
1. EXACTLY! You have claimed mics burn-in, where's the evidence to support your claim?
2. I've given you the professional consensus, what evidence have you supplied? Supply some or be a hypocrite!

G

You are mixing me up with the other people you are talking at. I have not claimed evidence for mic burn in. I think it is a reasonable cadidate for consideration, but not my claim.

You professional consensus of one, i.e. you is not enough for me, considering how narrow your opinions have been in the past. They are just your opinions in most cases, as you extrapolate from puplished papers to the subject as you see it. Unless your opinion is the only one that matters, and then you are Quincey Jones, and I claim my 5 pounds!

Hey here's an idea: the engine noise of the ship/aircraft taking the product is contributing to the burn in, depending on the transducer size and length of journey. A microphone made in China takes 4 weeks to get to Europe. So buy you AKG mics in Europe if you want to measure burn in as they are made in Hungary.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #490 of 685
if we go with that, it would also count for headphones. and even more so for speakers with heavier diaphragms more susceptible to vibrations while delivered. it answers nothing but brings a all lot of new questions. ^_^

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #491 of 685
if we go with that, it would also count for headphones. and even more so for speakers with heavier diaphragms more susceptible to vibrations while delivered. it answers nothing but brings a all lot of new questions. ^_^

Yes...

It may explain why designers of speakers almost entirely (I say almost because I haven't discussed it with ALL designers) agree that burn in exists. Because they are working with fresh off the production line units. I've been in the listening room in the factory more often than the sales room in annother country.

I suspect if my frivolous comment that microphones run in all the time there is a noise turns into a relavant discussion (of course it won't, burn in doesn't exist!) then things get even more convoluted. Also more interesting?

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #492 of 685
[1] You are mixing me up with the other people you are talking at.
[2] I think it is a reasonable cadidate for consideration, but not my claim. ... You professional consensus of one, i.e. you is not enough for me ...
[3] It may explain why designers of speakers almost entirely (I say almost because I haven't discussed it with ALL designers) agree that burn in exists.

1. Yes, that's possible.

2. Err no, it is not a consensus of one, you can't have a consensus of one. I'm reporting the consensus of the profession regarding mics, the many top class professionals I've met and worked with, plus the online professional community, plus my own personal experience of buying and extensively testing the numerous mics I've owned or have seriously considered owning. I agree though that none of this is enough to constitute scientific proof, no more than maybe somewhat reliable evidence. However, it is of course for those making the claim to provide evidence, not for me to provide evidence to disprove it.

3. That's strange because none of the designers of speakers I've discussed the issue with say that burn-in is a real "thing". However, I've only discussed it with a few designers of pro audio speakers (Genelec for example), maybe there's a fundamental difference though between pro audio and audiophile speakers??

G

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #493 of 685
1. Yes, that's possible.

2. Err no, it is not a consensus of one, you can't have a consensus of one. I'm reporting the consensus of the profession regarding mics, the many top class professionals I've met and worked with, plus the online professional community, plus my own personal experience of buying and extensively testing the numerous mics I've owned or have seriously considered owning. I agree though that none of this is enough to constitute scientific proof, no more than maybe somewhat reliable evidence. However, it is of course for those making the claim to provide evidence, not for me to provide evidence to disprove it.

3. That's strange because none of the designers of speakers I've discussed the issue with say that burn-in is a real "thing". However, I've only discussed it with a few designers of pro audio speakers (Genelec for example), maybe there's a fundamental difference though between pro audio and audiophile speakers??

G

Interesting. I know the people who supply Genelec with their drive units. At this point I will have to leave it, but let you guess what they think given I mention it, as reputations and opinion affect sales.

Pro audio knows speaker burn in happens too. The people I know laugh at the idea that people believe it doesn't.

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #494 of 685
[1] Interesting. I know the people who supply Genelec with their drive units. At this point I will have to leave it, but let you guess what they think given I mention it, as reputations and opinion affect sales.
[2] The people I know laugh at the idea that people believe it doesn't.

1. I have no idea who supply Genelec with their drive units but I did have several lengthy discussions with the chief engineer at Genelec several years ago about flush-mounting some of their larger pro speaker in my studio. He laughed at the idea of any run-in period. Once installed, I carefully measured and tested them over the course of several days. They were within the expected specifications and there was no change at all in their performance. In addition, my half yearly calibration checks since, also show no evidence of change.

2. And the people I know laugh at those who believe it does. I would tend to put belief in what I've personally measured and in all the professional engineers who use them everyday, you obviously have some other belief from some other group of people. Until I see some solid evidence which contradicts my measurements and professional sound engineers' consensus, I have no rational/justifiable reason to change my belief.

G

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #495 of 685
I think we need to stop using "laugh" as a synonym of "deny". It sounds unnecessarily "gloat-y". At this point this thread as devolved to "The chief engineers of so-and-so I talked to said burn-in is a fallacy" and "No way, the chief engineers of so-and-so I talk to said burn-in is reeeealllll!"

How about showing the data. Please. I haven't measured it personally nor have I seen any real study so I can't say. Certainly someone has a measurement device we can use to measure the changes over time of frequency response on a speaker. One better would be someone with an Aachen head we can use for headphones, possibly creating a jig to use to ensure headphone placement is identical each test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back