Breaking-in headphones, the final verdict!
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #166 of 685
I read your comments but I have no clue what you're talking about. Sorry! Try to be clear, don't try to be erudite about it*. You don't have to impress me with anything but the strength of your argument. If you do that, I'll change my mind and agree with you. Clarity is the best way to convince people.

* we have too much of that around here already!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #167 of 685
I read your comments but I have no clue what you're talking about. Sorry! Try to be clear, don't try to be erudite about it. You don't have to impress me with anything but the strength of your argument. If you do that, I'll change my mind and agree with you. Clarity is the best way to convince people.

Google: driver break-in klippel

You will find some papers including references to break-in

Jan 9, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #168 of 685
Read my post again. It isn't good enough to just post scans of bits from books with yellow highlighter. You have to make your own point clearly. It's not my job to do your research for you.

No one should be here in this forum for the purpose of trying to impress other people. The purpose is to share information with people who have similar interests. Keep that in mind always.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #169 of 685
Read my post again. It isn't good enough to just post scans of bits from books with yellow highlighter. You have to make your own point clearly. It's not my job to do your research for you.

No one should be here in this forum for the purpose of trying to impress other people. The purpose is to share information with people who have similar interests. Keep that in mind always.

Oh shush. I am sharing information: published data from reputable sources and my own experiences from multiple places.

I am not an accoustic engineer but I have worked with and around some of the best in the industry, and I use their information. Klippel is the top measurement company available.

So I'm not here to impress you or anyone else. I am just agreeing and backing up another forum member's anecdotal findings.

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #170 of 685
When you feel the urge to actually explain your points, I'm all ears!

Jan 9, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #171 of 685
I'm confused. Sure I get that any mechanical device that involves movement can over time settle down to very slightly different to when it came out of the box, that may or may not affect the sound heard but couldn't that go either way?. What I don't get is that (after having read most of this thread and various articles on the same or similar subjects) the vast majority of listening after the burn-in seem to be a positive experience. How come 50% don't think it sounds worse after 100 hours?

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #172 of 685
I'm confused. Sure I get that any mechanical device that involves movement can over time settle down to very slightly different to when it came out of the box, that may or may not affect the sound heard but couldn't that go either way?. What I don't get is that (after having read most of this thread and various articles on the same or similar subjects) the vast majority of listening after the burn-in seem to be a positive experience. How come 50% don't think it sounds worse after 100 hours?

Consider it this way: Well if the change is relatively predicalble, and all the tuning is done after break-in, then the all headphones should head towards the designers preference, which given they know what they are doing should be an improvement.

Jan 9, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #173 of 685
What if the designers design it to be perfect right out of the box and make it solid so it doesn't change? I'll take that over a crap shoot to see if it settles down properly.

What I don't get is that (after having read most of this thread and various articles on the same or similar subjects) the vast majority of listening after the burn-in seem to be a positive experience. How come 50% don't think it sounds worse after 100 hours?

I like the way you think!

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #175 of 685
It adds the spice of randomness!

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #178 of 685
Butting in....
I think people underestimate the ability of humans ears to get used to sound. It's part of our biology otherwise we would go crazy at every little noise.
I'm in the firm belief that if break in does occur (and I do think it's logical that it does on a mechanical level), the effect is negligible. What we hear is our ears getting used to the sound of new headphones.
When I first got my ATH-M40X, I came from a really bassy pair of IEMs, and they sounded really bright. After while, they sounded perfect! I then got the ATH-LS70is and they sounded bassy and dark. After a while, they sounded perfect!
I put on my M40X again and they sounded really bright. After a while, they sounded perfect! I put on my ATH-LS70is again and they sounded bassy and dark.... and so on ad nauseam.

Jan 11, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #179 of 685
Our auditory system is not reliable or consistent, it can be moody. Some moments you may need greater volume than other times. Sometimes the sound may sound a bit punchy or too forward, other times not. You may hit a point when music sounds euphoric listening all night, and other times mediocre with the same setup.

When you switch headphone sigs, there is an interface point when contrast in headphone sig is felt the most. If you give it time, you get used to the sound since you are giving your ears consistency over a prolonged duration.

If you think about it, burn-in is often pointed out after you get new stuff, and that's when you've switched over from something else.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #180 of 685
...and they want you to get used to it so you won't realize it really isn't what you want and return it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back