Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jan 7, 2016 at 5:09 AM Post #5,431 of 6,668

I don't think an unamped AK100ii has enough power to make a planar sound its best.

But I guess the EL 8´s where meant to be driven by almost any portable dap. They are supposed to be driven from your iPad or iPhone. They are 30 ohms.
The LCD series, then yes, without an amp there is not enough power.

I see you have both as100ii and mojo... how do you compare them in terms of dac and amp sections? Do you prefer your ak paired with your mojo?

Thank´s

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #5,432 of 6,668

I don't think an unamped AK100ii has enough power to make a planar sound its best.

That is true as a generalisation, but planars are being developed to be far more efficient.
Whilst you will need a super powerful amp to get the best out of HE6, I think the HEX could be driven well by AK100ii.
Take this with a pinch of salt as I have not even tried my HE560 direct from the AK100ii...

Jan 7, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #5,433 of 6,668

That is true as a generalisation, but planars are being developed to be far more efficient.
Whilst you will need a super powerful amp to get the best out of HE6, I think the HEX could be driven well by AK100ii.
Take this with a pinch of salt as I have not even tried my HE560 direct from the AK100ii...

I made a 4 pin XLR to 2.5mm trrs adapter for my Ether C's and ran them out of my Ak120ii just to see what it would be like.  I had to run the volume up about to about 55/75 instead of my normal 35/75, but it sounded pretty good.  Unlike the time I tried the same thing with a set of T1's.

It didn't sound as good as using my Liquid Carbon, but it was very listenable.

Jan 7, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #5,435 of 6,668
Getting a cable made, is balanced the way to go? I thought I read some bad things about SQ and AK running balanced, but I could be wrong.

There have been a few aberrant reports by individuals who felt that way. Generally, Astell&Kern does balanced brilliantly. Especially on the 120ii and above.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #5,436 of 6,668
  Getting a cable made, is balanced the way to go? I thought I read some bad things about SQ and AK running balanced, but I could be wrong.

If nothing, you get to go from 2 Ohm (SE) to 1 Ohm (Balanced) Output Impedance. If you're getting a new custom cable made, get it balanced and an pigtail adapter for using is single ended. 

AK100 II outputs lower voltage via balanced port, but that shouldn't be a problem for K10's.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #5,437 of 6,668
  If nothing, you get to go from 2 Ohm (SE) to 1 Ohm (Balanced) Output Impedance. If you're getting a new custom cable made, get it balanced and an pigtail adapter for using is single ended. 

AK100 II outputs lower voltage via balanced port, but that shouldn't be a problem for K10's.

Ted is making my cable, sent an email that I decided to go 2.5mm balanced, just waiting for his reply. I told him when I ordered I was using the 3.5mm.

Jan 7, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #5,438 of 6,668

Ted is making my cable, sent an email that I decided to go 2.5mm balanced, just waiting for his reply. I told him when I ordered I was using the 3.5mm.

Ted will take care of you. I changed my order just before he was about to ship. He re-did the termination and made the  pig tail adapter, just before he was about to leave for Post office. Ted's great to do business with.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #5,439 of 6,668

Ted is awesome in his responsiveness!  A 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter is also a great idea.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #5,440 of 6,668
  I have a problem on my AK120II.

Some of my files are not tagged in the AK, but they are...

For exemple for one Artist I have 3 albums, but just one appear. I laso have some artists who does not appear.

Did you have this trouble? If yes someone could help me to solve it?

Thanks guys!

Finally I found the problem, and it is so stupid... My transferts were bad. Some folders were there but without the files :)

Last question about one of my problem: The volume knob seems not working. When I want to turn up the volume, if I am doing this to fast, it turn down... I need to do it step by step.
Do you have the same trruble? 

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #5,442 of 6,668

There have been a few aberrant reports by individuals who felt that way. Generally, Astell&Kern does balanced brilliantly. Especially on the 120ii and above.

As one of the people who contributed to the confusion. I must say that the 2.5mm Balanced for the AK100ii is superior to the 3.5mm SE. By a fair margin

I think I may be losing my mind.. the AK Jr to me sounds better than the AK100ii
devil_face.gif
 (creates new controversy while settling another one)

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #5,443 of 6,668
lol You devil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back