Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Aug 18, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #4,441 of 6,668
sorry to ask what does the msq do anyway, sorry for this newbie question, or is it just a way to sort music based on bits

It's MQS - a streaming server. Basically, it performs the same functions as the library scan on your device, but on a (much larger) folder on your PC. The database created is much quicker to sort, scan and select as all the hard work is done server side  (on the PC) and the file is then streamed to your device.

AK Connect is an app designed to run on a separate Android device which will stream files from your PC or NAS to your AK device, with all the control coming from the Android device. That's the theory. It doesn't work for me as it won't recognise my AK100II as a player.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4,442 of 6,668
Please,
I call everybody to join me in one important request from AK and that can be done on their Facebook page ; 

We ask AK to bring the Bluetooth APTX Codex support on the AK120 II an AK120, exactly like what they did with AK380.

thx 

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #4,443 of 6,668

I'm waiting to find out as well, but I won't be home till in a few hours
I'm quite liking the new FW, only thing that bothers me a tiny bit is how much space the main menu now takes up.
I also love how the AK now shows pieapples, water, the moon, etc for tracks without album art
rolleyes.gif

More than half of my songs don't actually have any album art, so this is a welcome change. Now, if only we could transfer a host of random images to use as album art.

Aug 18, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #4,444 of 6,668

More than half of my songs don't actually have any album art, so this is a welcome change. Now, if only we could transfer a host of random images to use as album art.

I hadn't spotted that as all my albums now have a folder.jpg
I am hoping that the "stability inproved" means that it will no longer eat cover.jpgs
One thing that has certainly improved is the filehandling. From the folder menu it is now possible to intuitively delete, copy and move folders and files.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,445 of 6,668
Here's a very informal scratch report on the update.

First thing is, the OTA process was incredibly easy and smooth.  All told it took less than six minutes, and couldn't have been simpler.

The UI has significant changes.  Overall I think it's a small net improvement, but some of the changes are a step sideways or slightly backwards IMO.

(I'd already moved the buttons around when I took this snap so this isn't the original arrangement)

I don't like the bigger buttons on the home screen, since they now take up about 75% of the real estate, blocking album art.  Not a huge deal-breaker since that just means I'm not going to leave it on the home screen much anymore, but it's now a rather ugly screen on startup with those big blocky boxes and not much else.  It would have been really nice if they had made the home buttons slide in and out of view with a swipe-up like the control window does with a swipe down.  You can still drag them around to rearrange which button is where.

Another lost opportunity by NOT extending the functionality of those home buttons, eg letting us custom-define which tags the home buttons sort by.  The inability to sort and play music by "album artist" remains an annoying shortcoming.  Note to AK: this is a product targeted to audiophiles, so we are going to be serious about tagging and organizing our music--let us use our libraries to their fullest.

Another quibble is that as a previous poster mentioned, long-pressing the home button no longer takes you to the now playing screen, so moving off the home screen requires tapping on a different area.  It's a bit early to render final judgment, but my first impression is that this makes the UI a bit less intuitive and using the home button less convenient, since most of the time I want to be on the playback screen and now I have to awkwardly page through the home screen after doing something in settings etc.  I don't quite understand why they took the long-press function away, seems like there would have been no harm leaving that as it was.

A step sideways is that now the device remembers where you were in a particular menu structure, so for example, if you're browsing through Artists and play a particular album, then go back to home and browse Genres, then later go back to Artists, the AK takes you back to the same place where you were in the Artist menu structure.  That's a plus when I don't want to jump around so much, as the same artist's albums can be browsed more quickly.  But it's a significant minus when I do want to jump around, since there is no way to reset each menu tree to the root apart from tediously paging backwards through each branch, or doing a full device restart.

The main improvements seem to be in playlist and file management.  It's now a menu-based system instead of the earlier drag-and-drop, but with a lot more flexibility.  Seems like it's easier to add or remove items from the "now playing" list for one example.  I don't use playlists much but it seems a lot more powerful than it was.  File and folder management is a huge improvement too, as uzi2 just mentioned.  You can now copy, move, and delete files directly on the device.  Doesn't seem to be a way to rename music files but that's probably not a good idea to do that individually anyway.

I haven't played enough with it yet to see if the buffering problems are still present, that will likely take a few days since the problem only came up sporadically.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #4,446 of 6,668
To sum up, 
What I've lost:
1. I can't jump to a specific letter anymore
2. long press on the home "button" doesn't do anything anymore 

What I've gain.. 
Haven't found a new feature that is helpful 

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #4,450 of 6,668
  BTW, the huge "store" button which took the place of settings is a big waste of space, at least for those of us in the USA.  It lists groovers+ and qobuz, and neither one is available here.

qobuz was available in Europe with 1.12 - not sure about the target maket for groovers, but it isn't here either.

Aug 18, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,451 of 6,668
Here's another sideways improvement: there are now separate buttons on the playback screen to see track info and lyrics.  Previously the info button took you to lyrics first (which never made any sense) so you had to tap twice to see the other info eg. year, composer, file size, etc.  So separate buttons are a lot better.  On the other hand, now you have to press the same button to clear the information, instead of tapping anywhere, which IMO is a lot more intuitive.

Aug 18, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #4,452 of 6,668
Atleast, UI is in line with the AK380. But, yeah the older home screen menu buttons were already of adequate size. This is awfully huge.

Aug 18, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,455 of 6,668
Excellent this is what ive been waiting for and I was about to punt  my AK100ii,it sees my NAS and my pioneer network player,there is a few bugs but hopefully they will get resolved,never thought I would get internet radio on it,spotify and Tidal must be next!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back