Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 30, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #4,324 of 6,668
Just got my ak100ii! Loving the audio, but I can't listen to all my music. I popped in my sd card and only some of it is showing up. I've done several rescans and updated. When I go to folder I can find the folders of missing music, but nothing there when I click on them. Believe me, it's there. Any ideas?

I experienced this same issue with my AK120 II. It wouldn't display some of my songs which were divided amongst several folders on my SD card. It only read them correctly when they were transferred to the internal memory directly. Thankfully, I have less than 128 GB of songs, so everything is happily saved in the AK's internal storage.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #4,326 of 6,668
  Also, does anyone know what the battery drain on these is like when you just leave them with the screen off and no music playing but don't fully turn them off? I'm just wondering because the boot time is killing me. I love the player and it's a small price to pay, but wondering if it doesn't drain much battery just idling. 

Please try it out and share the results with us.

Jul 31, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #4,327 of 6,668
So the AKJr is running Android, as is the 100II, 120II, 240 etc

On OSX, the AKJr shows up as a drive. All others need Android File Transfer, which as we all know is a disaster.

Who do we contact at AK to urge them to put this feature into he higher end AKs?

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #4,328 of 6,668
If they are all based on Android, they might be based on very different versions of the OS.
Changing a version of OS is a huge work. AK should have to entirely rebuild their OS and retest their software. I don't think that AK 100II and Jr will be based on the same version of OS considering the workload it implies and the fact that AK might already work on AK 100 III (3).

It doesn't mean a quick update does not exist and that you cannot ask for.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #4,333 of 6,668

But still is a different thing. develop a player on top Linux vs adopt Android, it's a different world

well let's be a bit more specific here - GNU/Linux for starters (which denotes the GNU tools/user land on top of the Linux kernel itself).  As a FSF and GNU guy, I hate seeing GNU/Linux incorrectly referred to as Linux!  Sorry to be pedantic!!!

As far as I understand, Android uses a custom Linux kernel, but I'm not sure about the user land side of things.  It probably uses QT for the windowing/desktop environment, at least judging by the look of things.  The kernel will probably be an embedded version, which would be atypical for this sort of purpose.  

I honestly think it'd probably be a lot more work to fork an embedded Linux kernel (with a custom windowing environment) than an off the shelf Android install, so I'm really surprised that AK would go that way to be honest.  It's pretty damn silly that OS X doesn't support USB drives properly though...

Dave

PS I'm an OS X user.  I've worked for Apple providing Tier 1 tech support years back.  I've used GNU/Linux since '97, well before most even knew about it.  I've even had the pleasure of meeting RMS, lovely guy, and spot on the money with the FSF principles.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,334 of 6,668
 Just got my AK100ii a couple of days ago. Very happy with it! My previous DAP is the Cowon J3, still going strong but will probably use that in the office and use the AK at home.

Sounds very good paired with the ESW9 Ltd, nice bass and treble extension and very good details, too. The EQ is quite interesting, allows one to draw the curve in approximation and then tweak from there.

Just one question : what is the latest version of the firmware now? I've got v1.12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back