Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jul 21, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,276 of 6,668
Geez just charge your DAP however way you like it and just listen and enjoy. You worry too much of little things that does not have much impact with enjoying your listening experience. I bet most of the guys here would have changed DAPs in 2 years.

Whatever you do, batteries degrade over time regardless of the manner you charge it. Just don't let it drain completely empty for a very long time (several days) nor keep it hook up on a charger at 100% for a long time (also for several days). Just use it throughout the day and plug it in for charging before going to bed. Then unplug it soon as you wake up the next day.

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #4,279 of 6,668
Anyone having this issue? I seem to have my unit change to Optical output when I put it in my pocket. Turns out if I apply pressure in this particular direction, then it does this pretty consistently. 

EDIT: I want to also note that if I turn the unit off, and then back on, it remains in optical mode. The only way to fix it so far that I found is to plug in and remove a 3.5mm TRS plug. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #4,280 of 6,668
  Anyone having this issue? I seem to have my unit change to Optical output when I put it in my pocket. Turns out if I apply pressure in this particular direction, then it does this pretty consistently. 

EDIT: I want to also note that if I turn the unit off, and then back on, it remains in optical mode. The only way to fix it so far that I found is to plug in and remove a 3.5mm TRS plug. 

Video says, it's private. However, my AK120II goes to optical mode, only when I plug the toslink cable. Once removed, it goes back to normal HO on both ports (2.5 and 3.5).

Jul 22, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #4,281 of 6,668
  Video says, it's private. However, my AK120II goes to optical mode, only when I plug the toslink cable. Once removed, it goes back to normal HO on both ports (2.5 and 3.5).

I changed it to unlisted, Can you see it now?

Jul 22, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #4,283 of 6,668
Jul 22, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #4,284 of 6,668
That is weird. I don't remember mine, ever cutting out HO and tripping Optical out, like that. I will check mine, when I get home.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #4,285 of 6,668
  That is weird. I don't remember mine, ever cutting out HO and tripping Optical out, like that. I will check mine, when I get home.

Can you check if it stays on optical if you turn it off with the optical in and then unplug the optical and turn it on?

Jul 22, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #4,286 of 6,668
 Can you check if it stays on optical if you turn it off with the optical in and then unplug the optical and turn it on?

Sure, I will.
Update: No, it doesn't stay optical. When I replug the optical, it stays in HO mode. I had to restart with the optical cable IN, to put in optical out mode.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #4,287 of 6,668
Time for a mini review, here we go!

Background;
My daily driver used to be a DX50 (Running custom firmware sound unlock 1.4.0) for a year plus. I used to own multiple iPod models, Sansa Clip+, & Hippo Biscuit. In my quest of searching for the perfect end game setup, I have been passionately stalking this thread (one of many in head fi) for a couple of months till my local dealer proposed me an offer I could not resist for the AK100II. The rest is history.

AK 100II 1st impression (Unboxing, Hardware & Software)
- Packaging was reasonably simple & functional, nothing too fancy. The feeling of unboxing the unit is roughly 80% of what you would experience of an Apple product - close enough

- Post unboxing, the first thing that came into my mind was "Lo & behold, there it is.... what a beautiful nymph you are!". You people weren't joking that it indeed does look much better in actual. I agree that no photos do actual justice to this piece of jewel. The weight was good as expected. it was neither too heavy... nor too light.. just feels right in my hands. Build quality is superb, and of very high quality, again as expected due to the hefty price tag. Kudos to AK for that!

- Moving on to the display, the screen is definitely an eye candy. Colors are vivid, & addictive... kind of make you wanna keep staring at it. The actual color of the body is close to brownish gun-metal, rather than silver/platinum in photos, which is great! Volume knob has a nice clicking feedback but somehow I wished it's slightly tighter as it does feels "light". On/Off/Play/Pause Forward & Backward buttons provide good feedback. Nothing fancy here & very straight to the point.

- On the software side, it is definitely much better than rival DAPs out in the current market imho. Definitely no where close to most higher end smartphones. Scrolling feedback & album loading time is feels slightly "heavy". Good news no lagging or framerate slowdown were detected. Music scanning time from SD card is actually above my expectation. It's fast & flies on the go. Meaning  that you would be able to see the album & tracks in real time during the file transferring process. Starting to feel impress. Definitely something FiiO & Ibasso could learn here.

- My Windows7 experience is ok for file transfer - no issues period. My experience with OSX is frustrating to say the least. The android file transfer software has to be the worst piece of crap when it comes to this task. The process is highly volatile & I kept losing my connection with the AK100II whenever a new folder is created in the SD card. Files would either stop copying halfway or the software decides to crash & give me a virtual middle finger (okay maybe not.. but you get the point). I would definitely recommend to get a USB card reader as a workaround for OSX users. Bluetooth & wifi update works as it should... nothing to scream or complain about. I have also tried the pre-set EQ, which frankly I did not find myself enjoying as much vs keeping it off. All in all - my overall user experience with the interface is actually very very good & pleasant. It's simple, beautiful, intuitive & smart - I couldn't be happier man. Great!

AK100II Sound Impression;
- A little background about myself.... I am your average skeptical audiophile, a non believer, or your slightly above average consumer in Asia. I don't buy into the idea of burn ins, special memory card that enhances sound quality & various highly debatable audio myth. My audio philosophy has always been "My ears - My judge". If I can't feel the difference, then it's just not working for me :wink:

- And thus I begun toying with it... loaded a couple of CD-rip FLACS, sat on my couch in a quite room with minimal ambient lights & closed my eyes with a notepad in front of me for taking notes.

- First impression: The soundstage is WIDE!. Listening to Freedom (The Cry of Love) was a much welcoming experience. The guitar opening immediately caught my attention & pulled my mind to look at the far left direction of the room. It is definitely on par with the DX50 + Cayin C5 combo which is a good amp in increasing soundstage albeit AK being sounding more refine. If the DX50 combo is giving an impression of Jimi standing next to my shoulder & being aggressively loud, the AK100II would make me feel Jimi is standing close to 2ft away on my left & being aggressively engaging. In Moon Run (Trapezoid), the instrument separation & positioning are precise, clear & accurate. Minuscule details are forward & present & I would be able to pin point the virtual location of the musicians in my mind.

- I do agree with the users who highlighted the AK player being a little less forgiving as bad recordings would sound really crapty, soft & veiled compared to my DX50 that appear to to be more forgiving & renders the same track in a more acceptable manner. I would really disagree on users claiming AK100II being sterile or boring as the lows are definitely present & plenty. It hits fast & goes deep & precise, real good quality low notes & bass there. The opening of Rasputin 12'' version (Bonney.M) demonstrated these points very well imo.

Bottom Line
- The player does qualify to be my end game setup at least for the next 5 years (hopefully). Definitely a great step up from DX50 combo I am currently using & a good investment. Hope this helps if you are on the fence or on the verge of pulling the trigger (you know who you are - those that have the AK players sitting in their checkout basket!)

Next Step(s);
- Upload photos
- Line Out with Cayin C5 amp Impression
- Try with 1964 V6stage (yet to arrive, should get it mid of August)
- Try balance out
- Stop wallet from bleeding (nah..)

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #4,288 of 6,668
Time for a mini review, here we go!

Background;
My daily driver used to be a DX50 (Running custom firmware sound unlock 1.4.0) for a year plus. I used to own multiple iPod models, Sansa Clip+, & Hippo Biscuit. In my quest of searching for the perfect end game setup, I have been passionately stalking this thread (one of many in head fi) for a couple of months till my local dealer proposed me an offer I could not resist for the AK100II. The rest is history.

AK 100II 1st impression (Unboxing, Hardware & Software)
- Packaging was reasonably simple & functional, nothing too fancy. The feeling of unboxing the unit is roughly 80% of what you would experience of an Apple product - close enough

- Post unboxing, the first thing that came into my mind was "Lo & behold, there it is.... what a beautiful nymph you are!". You people weren't joking that it indeed does look much better in actual. I agree that no photos do actual justice to this piece of jewel. The weight was good as expected. it was neither too heavy... nor too light.. just feels right in my hands. Build quality is superb, and of very high quality, again as expected due to the hefty price tag. Kudos to AK for that!

- Moving on to the display, the screen is definitely an eye candy. Colors are vivid, & addictive... kind of make you wanna keep staring at it. The actual color of the body is close to brownish gun-metal, rather than silver/platinum in photos, which is great! Volume knob has a nice clicking feedback but somehow I wished it's slightly tighter as it does feels "light". On/Off/Play/Pause Forward & Backward buttons provide good feedback. Nothing fancy here & very straight to the point.

- On the software side, it is definitely much better than rival DAPs out in the current market imho. Definitely no where close to most higher end smartphones. Scrolling feedback & album loading time is feels slightly "heavy". Good news no lagging or framerate slowdown were detected. Music scanning time from SD card is actually above my expectation. It's fast & flies on the go. Meaning  that you would be able to see the album & tracks in real time during the file transferring process. Starting to feel impress. Definitely something FiiO & Ibasso could learn here.

- My Windows7 experience is ok for file transfer - no issues period. My experience with OSX is frustrating to say the least. The android file transfer software has to be the worst piece of crap when it comes to this task. The process is highly volatile & I kept losing my connection with the AK100II whenever a new folder is created in the SD card. Files would either stop copying halfway or the software decides to crash & give me a virtual middle finger (okay maybe not.. but you get the point). I would definitely recommend to get a USB card reader as a workaround for OSX users. Bluetooth & wifi update works as it should... nothing to scream or complain about. I have also tried the pre-set EQ, which frankly I did not find myself enjoying as much vs keeping it off. All in all - my overall user experience with the interface is actually very very good & pleasant. It's simple, beautiful, intuitive & smart - I couldn't be happier man. Great!

AK100II Sound Impression;
- A little background about myself.... I am your average skeptical audiophile, a non believer, or your slightly above average consumer in Asia. I don't buy into the idea of burn ins, special memory card that enhances sound quality & various highly debatable audio myth. My audio philosophy has always been "My ears - My judge". If I can't feel the difference, then it's just not working for me :wink:

- And thus I begun toying with it... loaded a couple of CD-rip FLACS, sat on my couch in a quite room with minimal ambient lights & closed my eyes with a notepad in front of me for taking notes.

- First impression: The soundstage is WIDE!. Listening to Freedom (The Cry of Love) was a much welcoming experience. The guitar opening immediately caught my attention & pulled my mind to look at the far left direction of the room. It is definitely on par with the DX50 + Cayin C5 combo which is a good amp in increasing soundstage albeit AK being sounding more refine. If the DX50 combo is giving an impression of Jimi standing next to my shoulder & being aggressively loud, the AK100II would make me feel Jimi is standing close to 2ft away on my left & being aggressively engaging. In Moon Run (Trapezoid), the instrument separation & positioning are precise, clear & accurate. Minuscule details are forward & present & I would be able to pin point the virtual location of the musicians in my mind.

- I do agree with the users who highlighted the AK player being a little less forgiving as bad recordings would sound really crapty, soft & veiled compared to my DX50 that appear to to be more forgiving & renders the same track in a more acceptable manner. I would really disagree on users claiming AK100II being sterile or boring as the lows are definitely present & plenty. It hits fast & goes deep & precise, real good quality low notes & bass there. The opening of Rasputin 12'' version (Bonney.M) demonstrated these points very well imo.

Bottom Line
- The player does qualify to be my end game setup at least for the next 5 years (hopefully). Definitely a great step up from DX50 combo I am currently using & a good investment. Hope this helps if you are on the fence or on the verge of pulling the trigger (you know who you are - those that have the AK players sitting in their checkout basket!)

Next Step(s);
- Upload photos
- Try balance out
Great review, I love my Ak100II as well and agree with everything you said! It's a very great product. I use mines with my Oppo PM-1 and moon audio silver Dragon V3 cable is a perfect combo for me. It wows me every time I buy new new high rez music on Pono site or acoustics sounds.com Enjoy and welcome to the thread!
Mike

Jul 23, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #4,289 of 6,668

Next Step(s);
- Upload photos
- Try balance out

I have that setup, the AK100ii+Cayin C5 but with my LCD-X or JH13. I like it a lot :)

Jul 24, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #4,290 of 6,668
After doing a lot of reading and shopping for a new DAP, I couldn't help but to come back to the AK100II.  I think it ticks so many boxes for me that I didn't really appreciate until it was gone.

It sounds great, and non-fatiguing but still has enough detail and impact to keep you excited making it great for all genres of music.
The touchscreen and display are so well done.  Never any touchscreen hiccups and I love how the album art is displayed (not too large and not too small)
Build quality is immaculate.  The looks and finish are top notch.
And best of all, its easily pocketable.

I also wound up ordering a leather case from an eBay seller that looks very similar to the one included with the AK120II.  Have any of you guys bought one?  The pictures make them look nice but I was wondering how they felt in hand.

Overall, I am very satisfied and I think that DAP is going to be a keeper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back