Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jan 28, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #3,181 of 6,668

Well to be fair, we will have to know how the music was mastered.  If most of what you listen are classical mastered in low volume, then 40-50 maybe necessary.

Unquote

You are right. For my setup when I listen to classical like 1812 overtures, my vol is 42. so 40-47 is reasonable for classical recorded at low vol.

Jan 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #3,182 of 6,668
Ok, I am confused. I thought that USB 3.0 is backwards comparable so that even if your devices, the AK100, is usb 2, it will work out of a USB 3 socket.? Mine does but I must be misunderstanding something here. 

It is indeed backwards compatible BUT if someone don't completely adhere to the official standards, bugs may appear. Such as the first gen AK120 not playing ball with the USB 3.0 implementation on the a particular generation of the MBP. I work in IT and sometimes we see bugs that can only be attributed to gipsy curses and/or lunar phases.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #3,188 of 6,668
It is indeed backwards compatible BUT if someone don't completely adhere to the official standards, bugs may appear. Such as the first gen AK120 not playing ball with the USB 3.0 implementation on the a particular generation of the MBP. I work in IT and sometimes we see bugs that can only be attributed to gipsy curses and/or lunar phases.

So if I line my AK up just right with the lunar phase I can ensure perfect USB DAC functionality? :D

And also for the guy asking about the AK100 II being bassy, it is definitely not, it's supposed to be very neutral, but then again you do have it modded to the RWA specification, did you check with Vinnie if that's what the mod is supposed to do?

Jan 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #3,189 of 6,668
  For those running earphones directly from the AK, what is your volume typically set to? I know much depends on your phones, but I'm finding myself at 50ish, which seems high to me.

Just to add, I'm usually around 32 - 38 in a quiet to mild noise environment for both my Shure SE846 and Westone W40. 
  Ive just received my RWAK100 II and I loved the sound, but there is something that is annoying me, its too bassy! 
Is the original AK100 II bassy as well?

Regards! 

I don't find the AK100ii bassy, pretty refined on it 
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #3,191 of 6,668
  Ive just received my RWAK100 II and I loved the sound, but there is something that is annoying me, its too bassy! 
Is the original AK100 II bassy as well?

Regards! 

Boosting the lower frequencies is one of the very points of the RW mod:

[size=15.0799999237061px]Result: [/size] With this modification installed, the AK100II / AK120II delivers the bass weight and scale that is now on par with high-end portable headphone amplifiers.  It extends deeper, hits harder when called upon, and is tighter and more responsive throughout the entire volume range

Sauce: http://redwineaudio.com/mods/rwak100ii_rwak120ii

I don't find the AK120 II to be bass light at all - but the midbass boost that I had gotten used to on Ibasso DAPs is gone. This means that some tracks seem to have less bass (Fink - Perfect Darkness) while others hit deeper and harder than ever before (Deadmau5 - Maths). I suspect the same might be the case with the AK100 II, but it's a different DAC & AMP setup than the 120II, so I'm just making wild guesses here.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #3,193 of 6,668
Oh well that failed miserably!Bought a cheap TRRS adaptor from ebay to use with my IM70 and se215 in balanced with the 100ii and the sq is pretty poor.Will the balanced out be much better with better iems and a dedicated cable,will it be worth the extra cost.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #3,194 of 6,668
On the 100II, I think the single ended is better than the balanced they implemented, IMO. I made a connector using a trrs so I can use all of my phones with it. Of course it doesn't have a great deal of power in balanced, unlike most balanced outputs, which double the SE power. I would think it may be the balanced out and maybe the monitors you are using. Also make sure all the connections are correct for phase.

Jan 29, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,195 of 6,668
  Oh well that failed miserably!Bought a cheap TRRS adaptor from ebay to use with my IM70 and se215 in balanced with the 100ii and the sq is pretty poor.Will the balanced out be much better with better iems and a dedicated cable,will it be worth the extra cost.

You cannot make a single ended termination on earphones to run balanced. I believe the adapter you're using is enabling you to run balanced output in SE mode.
To run your AK balanced to earphones, the earphones should have balanced termination of any kind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back