Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Dec 5, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #2,536 of 6,668
Hey,

I have an ak100ii and I was wondering if anyone knew of an alternate usb dac/amp that has a similar audio quality?
Something I might be able to use with an android phone, or even just my work laptop.

I am after the same level of quality sound and doesn't have to be able to run planars, just iems.

Scott

You can use your AK 100 II, as USB DAC/amp. With android use the OTG cable, for laptop just the micro usb cable.
Once connected, select 'DAC' from usb function in settings.

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,538 of 6,668

I have problem with new FW, AK100 II does not auto power off.

Power setting is set to Auto Power off after 30 mins, even when headphone is not plugged and it is not playing anything, auto power off does not happen 
frown.gif

Yes, I can confirm this problem with the AK 120 II and the new firmware.

Hmm, this makes me to want to go back to old FW. 

danelmix, my fingers are also crossed

Dec 5, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #2,539 of 6,668
Hey guys, was looking into getting an AK100ii or AK120, what is the general consensus on the two? I can kinda get the impression that the AK100ii is similar to the 240 (which I've heard a few times) in that it's airy and neutral, but the AK120 (old one) is apparently smoother? Do they differ in soundstage or technicality? Any recommendations for me, I have very wide tastes in music, from pop and jazz to jrock and acoustic, what's the best all-rounder?

Would really like to get my info straight before I drop a bomb wallet.... I've got the chance to get either player at a pretty good price, so thanks in advance!

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #2,544 of 6,668
Just recieved my AK100II today in the mail and have been loading it up and messing around with it. Incredible little device. Had a fun time comparing flac via AK100ii and 320mp3's via iPod classic. Headphones used were HD600s. Can't wait for the HiFi M8 to arrive to stack them 
basshead.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #2,545 of 6,668
Here's something fun for the holiday !

Connect yours AK player as DAC to you laptop and go to :

http://test.tidalhifi.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAzIWkBRDO5LDEn8G1nAUSJADnHq_5C_xfbYD_Qo-en6-uVoDpd58bj5UXCVX_fFXvHvYDCRoCbw_w_wcB

It is a Fidelity test to see if you can hear the difference in SQ and if you pass you'll get 14 days free trial. You can cancel at any time before trial period is over.

There are five sample tracks A/B and you can take a deep listening and determine which one is better SQ than the other. Its fun !

Here's my result :

I got the two weeks free...

Good luck guys and sorry for those having glitches with their AK

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #2,546 of 6,668
  Here's something fun for the holiday !

Connect yours AK player as DAC to you laptop and go to :

http://test.tidalhifi.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAzIWkBRDO5LDEn8G1nAUSJADnHq_5C_xfbYD_Qo-en6-uVoDpd58bj5UXCVX_fFXvHvYDCRoCbw_w_wcB

It is a Fidelity test to see if you can hear the difference in SQ and if you pass you'll get 14 days free trial. You can cancel at any time before trial period is over.

There are five sample tracks A/B and you can take a deep listening and determine which one is better SQ than the other. Its fun !

Here's my result :

I got the two weeks free...

Good luck guys and sorry for those having glitches with their AK

thanks for the link, looks interesting!

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #2,547 of 6,668
  Update: AK Support responded and I should expect an answer or solution by Monday. They are sending info to Korea. They said another user is having the same problem. 

That must be a record for AK responding!!!

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2,548 of 6,668
Hey guys, was looking into getting an AK100ii or AK120, what is the general consensus on the two? I can kinda get the impression that the AK100ii is similar to the 240 (which I've heard a few times) in that it's airy and neutral, but the AK120 (old one) is apparently smoother? Do they differ in soundstage or technicality? Any recommendations for me, I have very wide tastes in music, from pop and jazz to jrock and acoustic, what's the best all-rounder?

Would really like to get my info straight before I drop a bomb wallet.... I've got the chance to get either player at a pretty good price, so thanks in advance!

check this out, review says AK120 has better SQ, but others over here prefer AK100ii 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718321/brand-spanking-new-a-k-ak120ii-and-ak100ii/540#post_10609437

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2,549 of 6,668
I believe it's not better or worse...more like personal preference.

Original AK120 has warmer, sweeter sound and the new one is more neutral a bit bright but cleaner and higher in resolution and transparency.
Best to listen to both but if you unable to do that than pick the latest ones. Logically, the newer ones has better of everything, looks, good UI, faster, snappier and maintain it's value than the old ones.

Oh ..not to mention more powerful amp on the newer ones. It drives my LCD Great !
wink_face.gif

Dec 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #2,550 of 6,668
  I believe it's not better or worse...more like personal preference.

Original AK120 has warmer, sweeter sound and the new one is more neutral a bit bright but cleaner and higher in resolution and transparency.
Best to listen to both but if you unable to do that than pick the latest ones. Logically, the newer ones has better of everything, looks, good UI, faster, snappier and maintain it's value than the old ones.

Oh ..not to mention more powerful amp on the newer ones. It drives my LCD Great !
wink_face.gif

100% agreed.  Well said.

check this out, review says AK120 has better SQ, but others over here prefer AK100ii 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/718321/brand-spanking-new-a-k-ak120ii-and-ak100ii/540#post_10609437

See above ^^^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back