Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 30, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,966 of 6,668
  I can only go on what my ears tell me.  I'm not generally taken to acts of flights of fancy.   :-

Saw your profile with turntable.

I still kept my old, very old set up and they are now sitting at my brother's home in Toronto.

Sorry for off topic...
Turntable : Heybrook TT2
Tunearm : SME 3010R
Cartridges : Ortofon MC20mk2, Surpex (forgot model), Dynavector (forgot model but with cantilever made with ruby)
Moving coil transformer : Surpex
Speakers : KEF 104.2
Pre-amp : McIntosh C27

Oct 30, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #1,967 of 6,668
  Saw your profile with turntable.

I still kept my old, very old set up and they are now sitting at my brother's home in Toronto.

Sorry for off topic...
Turntable : Heybrook TT2
Tunearm : SME 3010R
Cartridges : Ortofon MC20mk2, Surpex (forgot model), Dynavector (forgot model but with cantilever made with ruby)
Moving coil transformer : Surpex
Speakers : KEF 104.2
Pre-amp : McIntosh C27

I've heard good things about the Heybrook (nice speakers too!).  The SME arm is old, but not bad.  I've never used Ortofon, Suprex or Dynavector cartridges before.  I'm a Lyra fan (musical but detailed).  I use an ASR basis exclusive phono stage (Not cheap!!!) and it is very very good.  The Clearaudio is unlike a lot of turntables - it is far more like CD in presentation than the classical "warm" turntables of old.  I remember the Kef speakers - they got very good reviews in the 90s, but needed a big room to breathe.  I have no experience with McIntosh gear (it's very popular in North America, but not so in the rest of the world).  My preamp is my weak spot and I really want to update it, but no money.  I'm looking at maybe one of the Octave preamps, or the primaluna dialogue 3 preamp (leaning towards the latter to be honest).  I need to update my tonearm too - looking at a kuzma stogi reference on very good recommendation from a well trusted local dealer.  My SF speakers aren't well suited to SET amps sadly (too difficult a load imho).  The problem is that high efficiency/easy load speakers are usually bloody expensive horns.  I can't slap down 10-15k on a set of speakers...and that's the bottom end of the market.  The SFs though are beautiful, and very musical.  Sadly, my current room is absolutely crap, and I'm only getting 40% of the performance out of my gear.  It's very frustrating!!!

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #1,968 of 6,668

I've heard good things about the Heybrook (nice speakers too!).  The SME arm is old, but not bad.  I've never used Ortofon, Suprex or Dynavector cartridges before.  I'm a Lyra fan (musical but detailed).  I use an ASR basis exclusive phono stage (Not cheap!!!) and it is very very good.  The Clearaudio is unlike a lot of turntables - it is far more like CD in presentation than the classical "warm" turntables of old.  I remember the Kef speakers - they got very good reviews in the 90s, but needed a big room to breathe.  I have no experience with McIntosh gear (it's very popular in North America, but not so in the rest of the world).  My preamp is my weak spot and I really want to update it, but no money.  I'm looking at maybe one of the Octave preamps, or the primaluna dialogue 3 preamp (leaning towards the latter to be honest).  I need to update my tonearm too - looking at a kuzma stogi reference on very good recommendation from a well trusted local dealer.  My SF speakers aren't well suited to SET amps sadly (too difficult a load imho).  The problem is that high efficiency/easy load speakers are usually bloody expensive horns.  I can't slap down 10-15k on a set of speakers...and that's the bottom end of the market.  The SFs though are beautiful, and very musical.  Sadly, my current room is absolutely crap, and I'm only getting 40% of the performance out of my gear.  It's very frustrating!!!

To solve your listening room issue...headfi-ing is the way out LOL

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #1,969 of 6,668
  To solve your listening room issue...headfi-ing is the way out LOL

This is indeed true.  Truth be told, I do most of my listening at the kitchen table on my MacBook Pro these days.  I'ts not high fidelity by any means, but it allows me to keep a good eye on my mum (she had a stroke last April).  

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #1,970 of 6,668

This is indeed true.  Truth be told, I do most of my listening at the kitchen table on my MacBook Pro these days.  I'ts not high fidelity by any means, but it allows me to keep a good eye on my mum (she had a stroke last April).  

Hopeful she's alright and with my regards to her.

Oct 30, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #1,971 of 6,668
  Hopeful she's alright and with my regards to her.

well, it was damn scary.  I'd lost my dad to Cancer in September 2012, then in April 2013 mum has a bloody stroke at the kitchen table.  Here's me trying to support her head/neck, remove her false teeth, clear her tongue, assist with the seizures, unlock my iPhone and call an ambulance...she spent 3.5 months in hospital, 6 weeks for the stroke, and the rest for rehab.  Having just lost one parent, I was scared *hitless that I was about to lose my mum.  I'm quite close to my parents, which is unusual in this day and age for a fully grown adult I guess.  She's better now.  Her stroke was caused by her diabetes and uncontrolled sugar intake and not taking medication.  When she was admitted to the emergency ward post stroke, her blood sugar levels were fluctuating between 18 and 20 apparently.  There was evidence of a prior stroke too and some minor damage to her brain from that.  Thankfully, she's come out of both strokes mostly unscathed - no paralysis, no slurred speech.  Her vision has degraded badly, and her mobility too, and she can't walk as good as she used to, but she does alright.  She's made of pretty damn tough stuff!

Oct 30, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,972 of 6,668
Deal alert - 128GB MicroSD $99 on Amazon. Picked up 2 cards from BB after price matching.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,973 of 6,668
  I'm kinda curious about people using the SE846 with the AK100ii or AK120ii. The output impedance is 2ohms and the SE846 has an impedance of 9ohms. That seems like the dappening factor would only be 4.2 instead of the minimum 8. Shouldn't this effect the frequency response and make the SE846 sound a little different?

I can confirm that the SE535 / AK100II is an outstanding combination!

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,974 of 6,668
Wiith the SE846 and the AK120II, and a balanced cable, truly outstanding!

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,977 of 6,668
well, it was damn scary.  I'd lost my dad to Cancer in September 2012, then in April 2013 mum has a bloody stroke at the kitchen table.  Here's me trying to support her head/neck, remove her false teeth, clear her tongue, assist with the seizures, unlock my iPhone and call an ambulance...she spent 3.5 months in hospital, 6 weeks for the stroke, and the rest for rehab.  Having just lost one parent, I was scared *hitless that I was about to lose my mum.  I'm quite close to my parents, which is unusual in this day and age for a fully grown adult I guess.  She's better now.  Her stroke was caused by her diabetes and uncontrolled sugar intake and not taking medication.  When she was admitted to the emergency ward post stroke, her blood sugar levels were fluctuating between 18 and 20 apparently.  There was evidence of a prior stroke too and some minor damage to her brain from that.  Thankfully, she's come out of both strokes mostly unscathed - no paralysis, no slurred speech.  Her vision has degraded badly, and her mobility too, and she can't walk as good as she used to, but she does alright.  She's made of pretty damn tough stuff!

Good luck with everything man wish you nothing bu the best

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #1,978 of 6,668
Did a quick thread search and cannot find much firmware discussion. My AK100 II came with firmware v1.0 Installed. Since it is telling me that it is the most current version I am guessing that this is true. However, in the 240 thread, there is more discussion on firmware updates and I was assuming that the firmware is the same. Am I wrong? Is there newer firmware for the AK100 II. Is so, where do I get it and where do I find discussions on firmware changes such as SQ? 

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,979 of 6,668

Cool, thanks MH. Strange how the output impedance seems to not effect anything. Perhaps this 8 times dampening factor rule does not apply to IEMs?

Shure IEMs like orthos are purely resistive loads and damping factor doesn't really come into play. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back