Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Oct 23, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #1,877 of 6,668
Not forgetting the price difference between the original AK100 and AK100II and the difference in size.
All boils down to your budget and requirement.

I will read the spec about those, And please do you have any thread about DAP To learn the new member for this field

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #1,878 of 6,668
I have red some comparisons.And it tells,AK120 (old) is better than new series.I mean AK100II and AK120II.

I have used AK120 (old) before this one (RWAK240).And it is a really big upgrade after AK120.

Everything is better with RWAK240. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #1,879 of 6,668
I totally agree. I have both in my possession and they sound identical to my ears. I've spent some time and I couldn't pick out one from the other. Put it this way, I had my Ref 1 plugged in, listening, I'm in bed in the dark, and I grabbed the wrong player and tried changing tracks... only to realize I was plugged into the other player. That's how close they are!! I was missing the Rwak120b, but these are definitely worthy replacements. The UI alone makes it worth it. I also think these have a slightly blacker background. The Rwak120b definitely would get louder, but I can easily fix that by stacking my intruder to one of these... Not needed at all though.
I honestly couldn't tell someone to get the 120ii over the 100. I'm a novice, but have a few hours with both and they are one and the same. That being said, I'm probably still keeping the 120ii. Lol... I like the storage better, size, and weight.
I answered you earlier. 100 has a single dac, 64gb of storage internally, and is a little, very little less powerful.
120ii is stronger, 128gb internal memory, and dual dac. Sonically, to me, they are the same.

I'll tell you what I heard when I was A/Bing them -- I thought I could hear the soundstage narrow just a touch as I went from the 120II to the 100II. I thought that the separation and placement of the instruments was just a little less distinct. Just a hint less "wow" factor overall.  I won't discount it as being a placebo effect, as I didn't do a blind comparison. I did feel that I might be a be able to pick them out if I was comparing them blind in a head-on test, but I didn't get to test this. I'll certainly reiterate what I've said previously about the difference probably not being worth $1000 to most sane people.

Part of my rationale in opting for the 120II goes like this... the difference between an iPod & 100II might be marginal. The difference between the 100II and 120II might be marginal. The difference between a 320kb MP3 file and a 16/44 FLAC file file might be marginal. The difference between a 16/44 file and a 24/96 FLAC file might be marginal. The difference between the Shure E500 (which I had previously) and the SE846 might be marginal. The difference between a normal and a balanced cable might be marginal. (I do still need to get a balanced cable...)

BUT -- go from a iPod/E500 combo playing 320k mp3s to an SE846/120II combo with a balanced cable playing 24/96 FLACs & DSDs, and OMG what an unbelievable difference!! :wink:

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #1,880 of 6,668

BUT -- go from a iPod/E500 combo playing 320k mp3s to an SE846/120II combo with a balanced cable playing 24/96 FLACs & DSDs, and OMG what an unbelievable difference!! :wink:

Indeed... makes me *almost* want to get universal Roxannes so I can shove them winsomeness ears when they ask "whats the difference". Unfortunately, I have my customs, my cables, my player. If I plug someone else into the AK, they'll go "Meh" a lot of the time

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #1,881 of 6,668
I have red some comparisons.And it tells,AK120 (old) is better than new series.I mean AK100II and AK120II.

I have used AK120 (old) before this one (RWAK240).And it is a really big upgrade after AK120.

Everything is better with RWAK240. 

I had an Rwak120b and I have to be honest, from memory, I don't think the SQ was too much better. I'd say it was definitely louder. all of them sound great to my ears. Really difficult to say, the differences between them.

MRT-Man Funny how you wonder that as I was going to ab between my girls ipod touch 5g and the 120ii last night because I surmised the same thing. Add all of those a little bit better up, and it's almost a lot!! The only thing is, I'd say compare at least alac on the ipod vs flac on the AK.
I'd really love to hear an AK240, as I'm so very curious as to see if I can hear a difference. From what I hear between these I doubt I will. I can't imagine the SQ being any better than it is, as I find it quite amazing.

For those curious, I am going to keep the 120ii. I prefer the larger memory, size and weight, and mentally I want the "better" device. Maybe one day I'll learn to listen better.
It will go to Vinnie for his mod as well...

I think I'm going to sell my Intruder amp as I don't see the need for it any longer. Not sure though, I should. Probably stack it with the 120ii first, but I seriously doubt it will get much use anymore.

is anyone stacking their Ak1X0ii?

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,882 of 6,668
Soon the be the proud owner of a the AK120II  ( just ordered today )   I do have a question about the UI.   I have a Large collection of full albums, I would like to start to eliminate the stuff I just have no interest in.  Of course each album may have a song or two that I love and want to keep.   If there a way to flag, like or start a song in the system? 

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #1,886 of 6,668
I totally agree. I have both in my possession and they sound identical to my ears. I've spent some time and I couldn't pick out one from the other. Put it this way, I had my Ref 1 plugged in, listening, I'm in bed in the dark, and I grabbed the wrong player and tried changing tracks... only to realize I was plugged into the other player. That's how close they are!! I was missing the Rwak120b, but these are definitely worthy replacements. The UI alone makes it worth it. I also think these have a slightly blacker background. The Rwak120b definitely would get louder, but I can easily fix that by stacking my intruder to one of these... Not needed at all though.
I honestly couldn't tell someone to get the 120ii over the 100. I'm a novice, but have a few hours with both and they are one and the same. That being said, I'm probably still keeping the 120ii. Lol... I like the storage better, size, and weight.
I answered you earlier. 100 has a single dac, 64gb of storage internally, and is a little, very little less powerful.
120ii is stronger, 128gb internal memory, and dual dac. Sonically, to me, they are the same.

Will you update your impression after a little more more burn in with both units

Oct 23, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,888 of 6,668
I loved the UI of new series.Fast and handsome.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,889 of 6,668
Hey guys, what are my options for a balanced cable to use with my SE846? I know there's the ALO SXC24 and Coper 22 cables, though I read a review saying they've got bad microphonics; there's Ted at headphone lounge... anything else I'm missing? Does Moon Audio make a cable with the right type of balanced connector for the AK DAPs? Any other options I'm overlooking, and any pros/cons to be aware of with the ones I've mentioned?

Also, once I get a balanced cable, what if I want to sometimes use my SE846 on a non-balanced input, like a standard headphone jack -- will I be forced to keep changing the cable, or is it just a question of plugging the balanced cable into an adapter of some sort?

(maybe the wrong forum, but thought I'd ask it here because I don't know whether there's many devices that use the AK-type balanced input)

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,890 of 6,668
  Hey guys, what are my options for a balanced cable to use with my SE846? I know there's the ALO SXC24 and Coper 22 cables, though I read a review saying they've got bad microphonics; there's Ted at headphone lounge... anything else I'm missing? Does Moon Audio make a cable with the right type of balanced connector for the AK DAPs? Any other options I'm overlooking, and any pros/cons to be aware of with the ones I've mentioned?

Also, once I get a balanced cable, what if I want to sometimes use my SE846 on a non-balanced input, like a standard headphone jack -- will I be forced to keep changing the cable, or is it just a question of plugging the balanced cable into an adapter of some sort?

(maybe the wrong forum, but thought I'd ask it here because I don't know whether there's many devices that use the AK-type balanced input)

Best not to keep changing cables on the 8s as the connection can become loose or damaged over time. I had Ted make me a 2.5 mm silver balanced cable + a very short 2.5mm balanced-to-3.5mm_single_ended adapter cable. Now i just use my 8s with my AK120II (balanced) or with my iphone 6 (balanced + adapter).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back