Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #571 of 6,668
Thanks a lot for the insight :ok_hand:
Now I'm really confused tho.
The 120 for 1250 will give me a lot more space but it doesn't have the new UI of the 100ii which is 1000.
The 120 was said also to have a warmer sound but I prefer a neutral sound though I didn't mind the 120 when I tried them.
So confused
frown.gif

Will AK continues to produce the original AK100Mk2 & AK120?  Or we are now seeing the "until it lasts" stocks?

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #572 of 6,668

Because I've heard the AK240, and I know how good it can be.  If the AK100II and AK120II both sounded exactly like the AK240, both would be instabuys in my book, and definitely be placed ahead of the AK120.  But each of them fail to meet that target in ways that are important to me.  The AK120II has a diminshed soundstage versus the AK240.  The AK100II has a diminished soundstage AND lesser clarity than the AK240.

So given the choice of two imperfect neutral players, I'd rather have a perfect sweet player.

Hugely helpful!! Thanks once again!!

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #573 of 6,668
Will AK continues to produce the original AK100Mk2 & AK120?  Or we are now seeing the "until it lasts" stocks?

Not sure to be honest if they'll still produce them or not.
I hope the price goes even more down if they stop producing them tho :p
Right now I can get the 120 for 1250(1400 here originally in Canada) cause my local store realized there's new ak products coming out.
If there's another price drop on the 120 it's gonna be quite hard to resist at that point, especially since I'm in dire need of a dap for my 846's.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #574 of 6,668
  If the 120 is better sounding than the 120 II, then why other than user interface would you purchase the 120 II? 

Most likely your sound signature preference will come into play. If you like warm-neutral then the AK120 will be better for you. If you like neutral-bright, then the AK120II will be more suitable. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #575 of 6,668
Has anyone tried any of the ak products with the Shure 846's?
Are they much better than a dx90 paired with the headset?

I haven't got a chance yet to demo the ak products with my 846's like I have with my 535's.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #576 of 6,668
  Most likely your sound signature preference will come into play. If you like warm-neutral then the AK120 will be better for you. If you like neutral-bright, then the AK120II will be more suitable. 

I think at the end of the day, this is likely correct.  This is far more like playing chess than I ever imagined!  Thx.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #577 of 6,668
Has anyone tried any of the ak products with the Shure 846's?
Are they much better than a dx90 paired with the headset?

I haven't got a chance yet to demo the ak products with my 846's like I have with my 535's.
Beatmaker, I have tested my SE846 with both dx90 and AK120. However testing was brief and there were different songs on each device making it difficult to judge objectively.

Initial impressions: dx90 - beautiful airy sound with very clear soundstage. User interface was simple and beautiful. Physically, device felt good for the price and elegantly designed. More neutral sound and good definition.

AK120 - strangely disappointed. Volume knob felt fragile and too loose. Is there a lock on the volume as it seemed unstable as if it could move easily or snap off. The shell's finish is more premium than dx90. UI was slightly ugly and less responsive. Might be because the buttons were so small that I found it hard to press. Sound was more artificial, like their was a veil covering the music (is this the warm sound ppl talk of?).

Preferred the dx90 which surprised me greatly as I am willing to spend more for better experience and sound quality.

I have limited experience with DAPs and not an audiophile so these are my personal findings only under less than ideal testing conditions.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #578 of 6,668
I doubt they'll prolong the production of AK100/AK120.
Here in Taiwan price just dropped to about $300 for a brand new AK100.
...Which seemed like the distributor is trying hard to get rid of their stock for the II's.

Jun 6, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #579 of 6,668
  Thanks guys for taking the time to compare. I wish I'd brought my UERM's to hear the various players at THE show. As an AK120 owner I'm relieved by your findings, but I would still love to upgrade to the AK240. Maybe soon!
Thanks!

Thanks Sam! 
smile.gif
  As a fellow AK120 owner, I too am pleased.  But I will admit that I was pretty shocked as well... especially given the ass kicking my AK120 received at the hands of the AK240.

BTW When is audio360 going to get around to the Hugo? Warren, do you want to borrow mine?

You know, there's an inside joke that we have at 360, where I'm trying as hard as possible to NOT hear it.  It's because every maternal fornicator I know - who has heard a Hugo - has ended up buying it.  And since I'm saving up for a Cavalli Liquid Glass at the moment, I don't need that kind of anguish if you know what I mean. 
tongue.gif

That said... Ethan, Kevin and Frank are working on a triple review of it now.  Amos is working on a review as well, but I think his will be for Positive Feedback.

BTW, thanks man, I totally appreciate the offer.  But for the sake of my sanity, Ima have to decline. 
smile.gif

I assume you guys didn't have time to compare the AK's as transports in feeding an external DAC....

Oh, no, they're definitely doing that in the 360 review. 
smile.gif

Thanks a lot for the insight :ok_hand:
Now I'm really confused tho.
The 120 for 1250 will give me a lot more space but it doesn't have the new UI of the 100ii which is 1000.
The 120 was said also to have a warmer sound but I prefer a neutral sound though I didn't mind the 120 when I tried them.
So confused
frown.gif

beatmaker234, if you haven't heard the AK240 for any extended period of time, you might be perfectly happy with an AK120II.  I just happened to be one of the early reviewers on the AK240 and spent a bit of time with it... enough to fall in love with the thing... and once you go AK240, you don't go back.  Unless...

flymetothemoon, I heard a rumor that production of the AK120 has already halted.  I can't confirm this at the moment... but of it's true... well let's just say that I would pick up an AK120 asap if I didn't already have one here.

Because I've heard the AK240, and I know how good it can be.  If the AK100II and AK120II both sounded exactly like the AK240, both would be instabuys in my book, and definitely be placed ahead of the AK120.  But each of them fail to meet that target in ways that are important to me.  The AK120II has a diminshed soundstage versus the AK240.  The AK100II has a diminished soundstage AND lesser clarity than the AK240.

So given the choice of two imperfect neutral players, I'd rather have a perfect sweet player.

Hugely helpful!! Thanks once again!!

Awesome! 
smile.gif

I'm pretty sure you're right.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #580 of 6,668
  Wow, thanks guys for the intensive reviews. However, I guess I have to say that I am extremely disappointed with the results. The fact that you both feel that the old AK120 beats both the new AK100/120 II doesn't say a whole lot for either of them in terms of SQ. I know that you both are fans of the old AK120, so it may just be a signature thing, but the fact that the featherweight X5 and DX90 can both consistently beat or tie the expensive old AK120 in reviews doesn't say a whole lot about the newer AK II models. I might as well continue using my X5 and DX90 and be happy that we cannot beat the sound quality they provide without paying an additional $3K or lugging around a brick.

The AK240 is the first DAP in a long time to stand toe to toe with the undisputed SQ champion, the HM-901 balanced. Given that the 901 is an ugly, poor ergonomically designed brick, I was really hoping to get close to that level of SQ with a more useful and attractive design with the new AK100 II at a similar price point. However, it is clear that AK has gimped their AK100/120 II models - even though they sport the same hardware design - so that they could justify the extremely stupid AK240 pricetag. I guess we will have to wait to see what the X7 has to offer next year.

I should point out that you guys did miss one important review item - the SE vs. balanced out for the AK240, AK120 II, and the AK100 II. Was the balanced output providing significant SQ value or was it just a marketing ploy? This was significant for the HM-901 in terms of hitting maximum sound quality. Maybe the AK100 II balanced out would wipe the floor with the old AK120, who knows?

SO sorry I didn't have my Double Helix Cable balanced cables set-up specifically for the AK240 and others with me!
I didn't know we'd have this chance - BUT:

I am going to do a follow-up review on the AK240 to Warren and Michael's original  - as well as do a balanced performance review!
That will be me, Warren, and Ethan on Audio360.org!

But just got home after 9 hours of driving, so that's gonna have to wait for a bit!
I'm sleeping for the next 24 hours...
  Thanks guys for taking the time to compare. I wish I'd brought my UERM's to hear the various players at THE show. As an AK120 owner I'm relieved by your findings, but I would still love to upgrade to the AK240. Maybe soon!
Thanks!

Yeah! Me too! Being the first one of us to hear the AK240 at CES, but only for a limited time - and rockin' it RIGHT NOW:
I'm gonna sell some gear to get one of these for sure!

I assume you guys didn't have time to compare the AK's as transports in feeding an external DAC....

We didn't unfortunately - as I spent a lil' more money than I wanted for us to have a quiet hotel room near Warrens hood in order to do this after we produced T.H.E Headphonium at Newport!
But I'll be glad to do so and report my findings!

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #581 of 6,668
What I find REALLY disappointing and IMHO not good business conduct is that although it is absolutely clear that the new AK100 II and AK120 II will come into shops very soon - on the German homepage at least AK does not give one single hint that they will be offering the new players very soon. They still offer the old AK100, Ak120, Titan and 240 at the full price of course. They also still give all the reviews about the old 100 and 120 - now there are just the first german reviews to be found about the 240 ...

If someone bought an old one now because of simple lack of knowledge about the new players they probably would be pretty upset.

And please - I am aware that some of You think that everybody has to be 150% totally informed about everything that is going on in the market and therefore it is his own fault if he bought an outdated DAP now for the full price. I do not think so because there are people (customers) who do NOT speak english (thus not being able to read in head-fi.org) or do NOT have the opportunity to go to trade shows. Considering that a large part of the AK-sales is being done via Internet this means that there is just no information about the new players / product change.

BTW - the same pattern applied a year ago when the AK00 MKII was being offered (at the beginnging) first additionally to the AK100.

So I would expect from AK to provide this bit of information on their homepage - something like "New AK100 and AK120 to be sold soon" or something similar.

I would like to compare this with a different market: When BMW or  Mercedes or any other car company plan to introduce a new model or to give the old model a face-lift they develop the model and then go touring all trade shows while providing the public and all the dealers with the information that  in x months time the new model will be sold. From this day on the old model will of course still be sold - but customers can choose if they want to go with the old model, have it earlier and save some money on it or if the want to wait for the new model.
This would be business conduct that is acceptable to me when introducing model changes.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #582 of 6,668

As Warren indicated - and I have a feeling about it: I think they're going to drop the OG AK100 & AK120,
but since there are plenty of us out there with the units - 

I can't WAIT to spend more time with the CEntrance / Glove Audio A1 DAC/Amp for the AK100/120!

W/ my Audeze LCD-X and Double Helix Cable (Molecule Elite) using my own AK100 as the transport
(I actually have more music in that unit than my AK120 - only because a friend of mine did a lil' trick with some memory cards - hoping he'll do the same w/ the AK120) - 

I thought the Glove Audio A1 (again, by CEntrance) w/ my AK100 was striking! Dynamic, airy, and highly engaging musically!
I was pleased with the timbre especially - which Michael Goodman is especially talented when it comes to his engineering on tonality - I suspect because of his long pro-audio
and studio experience. I wish I got more time with the Glove - but hey, just getting to spend time with it before the show started was a BLAST!

It also felt so stout and well-built in my hand it took me back to when Sony used heavier metals in their CD walkmans! They used to make terrific transport!
So thus far - for my its the AK240 on TOP - and you saw my order, 

but I THINK the Glove is going to have a serious effect on our findings - in terms of what people can get for less money when it comes to enhancing the sonic integrity
of their existing A&K DAPs!!!!

Beatmaker, I have tested my SE846 with both dx90 and AK120. However testing was brief and there were different songs on each device making it difficult to judge objectively.

Initial impressions: dx90 - beautiful airy sound with very clear soundstage. User interface was simple and beautiful. Physically, device felt good for the price and elegantly designed. More neutral sound and good definition.

AK120 - strangely disappointed. Volume knob felt fragile and too loose. Is there a lock on the volume as it seemed unstable as if it could move easily or snap off. The shell's finish is more premium than dx90. UI was slightly ugly and less responsive. Might be because the buttons were so small that I found it hard to press. Sound was more artificial, like their was a veil covering the music (is this the warm sound ppl talk of?).

Preferred the dx90 which surprised me greatly as I am willing to spend more for better experience and sound quality.

I have limited experience with DAPs and not an audiophile so these are my personal findings only under less than ideal testing conditions.

Perhaps you had a faulty unit! We never know - it happens!
As I've beaten down my AK120 (and with OCD - it would drive me NUTS if things like the volume pot felt like it was going to bust too).

But, to me, testing my AK120 with records I've tracked, mixed, and mastered - it's actually pretty spot-on tonally as well as it's dynamics and micro and macro-dynamic detail.

Also:
We ALL have to remember: No matter what anybody may say - in the end we're reacting to the playback of music, an art-form - so we will interpret things differently,
and that doesn't make ANYBODY more right or wrong than the other!

Jun 6, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #583 of 6,668
Not sure to be honest if they'll still produce them or not.
I hope the price goes even more down if they stop producing them tho :p
Right now I can get the 120 for 1250(1400 here originally in Canada) cause my local store realized there's new ak products coming out.
If there's another price drop on the 120 it's gonna be quite hard to resist at that point, especially since I'm in dire need of a dap for my 846's.

I think you should wait a bit more and I bet 120's price will come down further.  If you could live with a smaller screen (but a more handy size), the 120 could be an attractive deal.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #584 of 6,668
Here in Taiwan price just dropped to about $300 for a brand new AK100.
...Which seemed like the distributor is trying hard to get rid of their stock for the II's.

Original AK100's output impedance is inferior to most IEMs and you have to be aware of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back