Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Jun 3, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #466 of 6,668
Guess I was in Munich at the right time, took a German language class 2 weeks ago when High End 2014 was running, first thought it was "just-another-HIFI-show", really regretted for not bringing my camera along...

Tried both spankin' new AK players with my Fitear TG 334 and RSA Protector, both sounded sublime through SE input-output.
IMO, the AK120 II sounded just a tad better than his younger brother, in terms of instrumental separation and clearer highs.
Without the AMP, both players are able to drive my TG 334 perfectly.... do I even have to mention that... NVRMND.

Design and UI wise, they make Ver.1's look like cheap China made products. If you're an Android user, you're at home. Screen size is perfect for one thumb navigation. Touch screens on both players are responsive and of high resolution, really wish that they're able to play videos :)

Both players feels nice and snuggy on the hand, slim, solid, and nicely weighted. Volume knob on both players feel premium compared to the previous models.

Although there were no Ver.1 AK players on display to do side-by-side comparison, I still think that they've made notable improvements on the new players, in every single aspect, SQ, UI and design wise.

The difference btw AK100II and AK120II is just the separation and the highs? And just a tad? Quite disappointing if that's so :frowning2:
How about the soundstage?

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #467 of 6,668
The difference btw AK100II and AK120II is just the separation and the highs? And just a tad? Quite disappointing if that's so :frowning2:

With the original ak100 and ak120, the separation and sound stage differences between a single and dual DAC seemed fairly significant to my untrained ear. I would be quite surprised if that was not the case here.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #468 of 6,668
The difference btw AK100II and AK120II is just the separation and the highs? And just a tad? Quite disappointing if that's so
frown.gif

being a "old" ak120 owner, would you recommend me to replace it with ak100ii? (sound quality wise. too bad the ak120ii is out of my budget so it's out of the question for me)

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #469 of 6,668
being a "old" ak120 owner, would you recommend me to replace it with ak100ii? (sound quality wise. too bad the ak120ii is out of my budget so it's out of the question for me)

I think the main difference will be the features and navigation wise. I expect the SQ shouldn' be that different, maybe signature wise.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #470 of 6,668

I think this would make for a good comparison. For me it will need to be a noticeable SQ improvement to warrant an upgrade.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #471 of 6,668
The difference btw AK100II and AK120II is just the separation and the highs? And just a tad? Quite disappointing if that's so
frown.gif

Sorry, some correction here... I'm using the RSA Intruder, not the RSA Protector. Pfft....

So, everything I've posted is just my brief opinion from 20 minutes of listening time.
The soundstage is well represented in both players, pretty wide even with my TG 334, with AK120 II performing better.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to test it balanced (neither input nor output) which will probably reveal the true capability of the dual-DAC AK120 II.

Audio preference is something very subjective,
Levanter, I really suggest you test them yourself when they're available, and not be turned down by my brief opinion.

Cheers!

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #472 of 6,668
I am sorry, but the different audio presentation, different this n' that between regular incramental model upgrades and even firmware updates has worn my patience down to the point where any interest is now extinguished.

To my mind a solid business plan is not at all being employed by A&K. Business plans are of course wholy secondary to my own satisfaction however in A&K's book the inverted arrangement should be of some importance.

I am simply no longer convinced. We are talking high end audio gear with questionable consistency and indeed quality control. Trawling through these forums has raised more questions than answers (within my own mind); far too much disambiguation is now needed and I feel now that further auditioning of their products is no longer required.

Forgive me for such a seething rant however I am doing this in thanks to those who have helped me, a fellow with limited means (I rely on half yearly advances to make such large purchases), make a wise consumer decision.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #473 of 6,668
[COLOR=FF00AA][/COLOR]

Two things on 100ll

1. Higher output voltage
2. Balanced out

These might be the key aspects for your considerations

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #474 of 6,668
I think AK100II should not be better than AK120(old) in sound.

Maybe AK120II. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #475 of 6,668
Warrenpchi was kind enough to give a brief pre review of the new units :)

I'm almost done gathering the impressions. I got A&K to loan me the AK100II and AK120II for a couple of days. The difference between the AK100II and AK120II is consistently noticeable but not like wow/big or anything like that. With a bunch of test tracks spanning multiple genres and file types from 320 mp3 to DSD, I am hearing better clarity and coherency in the mids, better separation throughout, and a more holographic soundstage with the AK120II (vs the AK100II). But the basic signature - in terms of frequency response - is the same.

To answer your question... personally, I would be perfectly happy with an AK100II. The SQ difference between the new models (AK100II/AK120II/AK240) and old models (AK100/AK120) is HUGE. The difference between specific new models versus each other... not nearly as big.

I'll be posting more about all five units we have (AK100, AK120, AK100II, AK120II and AK240) real soon.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #477 of 6,668
Jun 3, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #478 of 6,668
  So - can anybody contribute their listening experiences fropm T.H.E Show last weekend?
I understand that there were some Head-Fiers who wanted to do thorough A/B listening.
Thx.

I thought I shared this a few pages back...
I was at THE show and I compared the AK240 and AK120II to the AK120, which I own. Unfortunately I didn't have my own headphones, so I was a bit thrown off. Also the show was loud and so some of the nuance was lost on me. 
I thought the newer players were clearly better than the old. The AK120II playing DSD didn't sound THAT different from the AK240 with the same file. It's hard to say a lot more without more time, familiar cans, and a controlled environment. I would say the difference is greater than the difference between the original AK100 and AK120.
The important takeaway for me was that I mostly use my AK120 out walking around, in airplanes, and riding my bike. Under inideal conditions the differences between the players is greatly diminished.
Sorry I can't be more help. I highly recommend listening for yourself. I'm glad I went.

Jun 3, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #479 of 6,668
Yes. Levanter is damn rich. You should see his Lego collection.

Yes, my house itself is built out of Lego bricks :D

It's incredible that you own all of iRiver's five units! I think you can get a decent car for that money

Lol they are Warren's units. And the 2 new gen are loaned by iriver...

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #480 of 6,668
another question about the AK120II. Does it have a line out? Meaning that I can use it as a usb DAC and hook it up via, lets say, mini to rca to my WA7?
I've read something about the line out being influenced by the volume pot. Does this mean that I cant do the thing I described?

thnx in advance guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back