Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
Sep 14, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #1,441 of 6,668

$200 for 3 years warranty as opposed to $2000 going to the bin after 1 year when your device kaput... yes i see your logic..

LOL, you're obviously not reading my posts are you...infant mortality failures, 17 years in electronics manufacturing, etc...

You do realize that these extended warranties are their highest profit items don't you? 

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,443 of 6,668
  LOL, you're obviously not reading my posts are you...infant mortality failures, 17 years in electronics manufacturing, etc...

You do realize that these extended warranties are their highest profit items don't you? 

Computers in general last longer than mobile devices which tends to have some hiccups after 1-2 years.
e.g. for AK240's balanced port is unlike the standard SE which is more fragile to wear and tear. Unlike the 3.5mm port, the 2.5mm uses a spring mechanism which after much use over a short duration will likely lose it's hold. 

But you're missing the point.
You said big companies like Apple do not offer more than 1 year warranty, but the fact is that they do even if you have to pay the extra bit. They at least give you the option. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #1,444 of 6,668

Computers in general last longer than mobile devices which tends to have some hiccups after 1-2 years.
e.g. for AK240's balanced port is unlike the standard SE which is more fragile to wear and tear. Unlike the 3.5mm port, the 2.5mm uses a spring mechanism which after much use over a short duration will likely lose it's hold. 

But you're missing the point.
You said big companies like Apple do not offer more than 1 year warranty, but the fact is that they do even if you have to pay the extra bit. They at least give you the option. 

I think you're missing it...Apple only offers a 1 year warranty on an iPhone (as much all-in as the AK100 II) and they are a multi-billion $ company who makes a fortune selling these extended warranties to people who don't need them!

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,445 of 6,668
  I think you're missing it...Apple only offers a 1 year warranty on an iPhone (as much all-in as the AK100 II) and they are a multi-billion $ company who makes a fortune selling these extended warranties to people who don't need them!

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

They offer extra 1 year, making it 2 years even for the iPhone.
You seem hard up on sticking to your belief that paying a bit extra for a longer warranty period is a waste of money, so i'll leave it at that. The fact is Apple offers longer warranty option, and i'm sure many would like that option on AK even if you don't...

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,446 of 6,668

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

They offer extra 1 year, making it 2 years even for the iPhone.
You seem hard up on sticking to your belief that paying a bit extra for a longer warranty period is a waste of money, so i'll leave it at that. The fact is Apple offers longer warranty option, and i'm sure many would like that option on AK even if you don't...

That's if you buy Apple Care. That's extra $ that you're flushing down the drain. I've owned the iPhone 3S, 4, and 5 and have never needed that and the statistics back me up. If you want the option of an extended warranty, why not ask the manufacturer for an option?

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,447 of 6,668
  That's if you buy Apple Care. That's extra $ that you're flushing down the drain. I've owned the iPhone 3S, 4, and 5 and have never needed that and the statistics back me up. If you want the option of an extended warranty, why not ask the manufacturer for an option?

Not sure what statistics you are looking at, but many of my friends/acquaintances have problems with their mobile phones after 1/2 years. This includes both apple and non apple phones.
Btw, Are you telling me your iPhone 4 had no problems with the home button? I find that hard to believe since the statistics proved otherwise.

Requesting AK for extended warranty option is like asking the moon to send you a unicorn for your birthday

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,448 of 6,668

Not sure what statistics you are looking at, but many of my friends/acquaintances have problems with their mobile phones after 1/2 years. This includes both apple and non apple phones.
Btw, Are you telling me your iPhone 4 had no problems with the home button? I find that hard to believe since the statistics proved otherwise.

Requesting AK for extended warranty option is like asking the moon to send you a unicorn for your birthday

My son is now using my iPhone 4 as an iPod and I've never had any issues.

You're asking to pay for an extended warranty, there's a difference. They might. BTW, Hifiman's top players...also 1 year, iBasso's top player...also 1 year, FiiO's top players...also 1 year; if you're not, just don't buy it (it's that simple). The statistics come from over 17 years in electronics manufacturing engineering experience building everything from server systems for Sun Microelectronics to medical/military/aerospace industries on my part. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,449 of 6,668

You're asking to pay for an extended warranty, there's a difference. They might. BTW, Hifiman's top players...also 1 year, iBasso's top player...also 1 year, FiiO's top players...also 1 year; if you're not, just don't buy it (it's that simple). The statistics come from over 17 years in electronics manufacturing engineering experience building everything from server systems for Sun Microelectronics to medical/military/aerospace industries on my part. 

The difference is that Hifiman/iBasso/Fiio are not charging 2400usd for a mp3 player but iRivier is. The very least they can provide is a premium product and that should include long warranty, responsive customer services, etc, etc.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,450 of 6,668

The difference is that Hifiman/iBasso/Fiio are not charging 2400usd for a mp3 player but iRivier is. The very least they can provide is a premium product and that should include long warranty, responsive customer services, etc, etc.

I was comparing the AK100 vs. the Hifiman players and they are similar. You will notice that the AK240 is not part of this thread's discussion. 

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #1,451 of 6,668

Your iPhone 4 must be one of the few lucky products then. Literally everyone I knew had problems with the home button.
Like I said, the difference is having the option to pay for an extended warranty.
You must not really know AK well...
So your statistics are based on your own personal/companies statistics. Doesn't mean a hoot to me when consumers are proving otherwise.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,452 of 6,668
Your iPhone 4 must be one of the few lucky products then. Literally everyone I knew had problems with the home button.
Like I said, the difference is having the option to pay for an extended warranty.
You must not really know AK well...
So your statistics are based on your own personal/companies statistics. Doesn't mean a hoot to me when consumers are proving otherwise.

Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree. If you're spending $$$ on extended warranties, in the end, you're paying much more than any benefits you're getting. Extended warranties are the biggest money makers electronics companies have.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,453 of 6,668
Yeah, we're going to have to agree to disagree. If you're spending $$$ on extended warranties, in the end, you're paying much more than any benefits you're getting. Extended warranties are the biggest money makers electronics companies have.

Do you even buy your own insurance? The concept is quite similar. You may as well not buy any insurance for your house since statistically the chance for a house to catch fire/tornado/etc is very low.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,454 of 6,668
Do you even buy your own insurance? The concept is quite similar. You may as well not buy any insurance for your house since statistically the chance for a house to catch fire/tornado/etc is very low.

I never buy extended warranties...you NEVER win in the long run. The cards are always stacked against you. Home, health and car insurance are totally different and it's plain silly to compare them.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #1,455 of 6,668
I never buy extended warranties...you NEVER win in the long run. The cards are always stacked against you. Home, health and car insurance are totally different and it's plain silly to compare them.

The concept is the same. You pay premium every year for that period of coverage.
And whether the extended warranty benefits or not depends on each person and situation. If your $2000 device spoils and you have that warranty, I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back