Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II
May 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #107 of 6,668
Question:  I need a new source for my HUGO.  Since I will be using it only as a transport with Optical>HUGO, should the AK100-II or AK120-II provide the same SQ level than a AK240 ??

May 16, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #109 of 6,668

so the price is roughly the same for a 120ii with less memory capacity and the current 240 with better memory capacity?

True.

May 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #111 of 6,668
Wow I just had a chance to look at the AK home page and compared the specs between the new AK120 II and the existing flagship AK240 and other then the memory size difference (128 vs. 256 respectfully) its the exact same screen technology including screen size, specs and the internal Amp and DAC section.  I'm going to be bold and guess the software is exactly the same too!  

So AK figured they "wouldn't make a replacement any time soon for the existing flagship AK240".  This comment came from a very high level person I spoke to working for AK not too long ago... They simply decided to obsolete the AK 240 unit by repackaging it with a different chassis!!!

I have been debating between the AK240 and Cord Hugo and had I already purchased the AK240 I would be really pissed off right now. Yes they were not planning on replacing the AK240.. lol (Not Funny)

May 16, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #112 of 6,668
I don't have the 240.  It is still at the top of my list thought because it still stands alone for what I need unless I go to a stack.

May 16, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #113 of 6,668
Wow I just had a chance to look at the AK home page and compared the specs between the new AK120 II and the existing flagship AK240 and other then the memory size difference (128 vs. 256 respectfully) its the exact same screen technology including screen size, specs and the internal Amp and DAC section.  I'm going to be bold and guess the software is exactly the same too!  

So AK figured they "wouldn't make a replacement any time soon for the existing flagship AK240".  This comment came from a very high level person I spoke to working for AK not too long ago... They simply decided to obsolete the AK 240 unit by repackaging it with a different chassis!!!

I have been debating between the AK240 and Cord Hugo and had I already purchased the AK240 I would be really pissed off right now. Yes they were not planning on replacing the AK240.. lol (Not Funny)

If the ak240ii has a better battery which it doesn't seem like it or doesn't take a toll on the battery it would be okay. With half the storage capacity of a stock 240 I think it's not worth it IMO.

May 17, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #114 of 6,668

See the problem with this choice, is the Cord Hugo cannot play a single note unless some kind of player is attached to it. So while you can compare the sound sig of both the AK's and the Hugo, they are not the same type of product therefore it is not really an either or choice.

May 17, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #115 of 6,668

Someone said earlier in this thread that AK is given its models a slightly different software so they does not sound as good as the more expensive ones.

May 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #116 of 6,668

Someone said earlier in this thread that AK is given its models a slightly different software so they does not sound as good as the more expensive ones.

That only makes me think that Astell and Kern is even worse, purposely making something worse through software imho is shameful. 
frown.gif

May 17, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #120 of 6,668
They really are on a roll.

If you read to the end of the article, they've even released an Astell & Kern bike! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back