Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Sep 17, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,831 of 4,426
I'm truly enjoying the Ref 1. For me, it was worth every cent I paid. Everytime I put them on, huge smile. I really couldn't be happier. The sound signature to me, is damn near perfect. Again, great job Gavin!! Sorry to repeat myself, I just don't feel Ref 1 gets enough praise or attention.

Ok, gave North Jones song another shot. I checked my EQ settings, which I normally don't hear much difference, had the bass full blast, lowered it and it sounds much better. Happy again!!! So far everything I've thrown at Ref has sounded simply amazing.

Heheh!! Glad to hear you've got to the bottom of why the bass in that song was overbearing. Yes, the Ref1 is extraordinary! Very happy here too! Kudos to Gavin! :)

Sep 18, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #1,834 of 4,426
A lot of people recommend SE. What type of sound signature does it have? How does it compare to Ref 1?

Hard to really compare right now as my Ref 1 is defective. I've given up listening to it for now. It's no better than even my Flat 4 Suis....

But the SE5 has a forward presentation with lots of depth. Not as spacious as 1Plus2 or Ref 1. SE5 has a way of having the sound very compacted/close together while having excellent separation. I find it does rock very well. The sound is warm, with smooth highs, very detailed mids, powerful and controlled bass (reminds me more of dynamic bass but not quite). The resolution is very good on them. I think the slightly slower note decay and the thicker note weight adds to it. Overall a natural/organic sound to it.

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #1,836 of 4,426

That's true, however, I cant help but feel I'm losing out on perfect seal without going custom. In any event whether I would sell the ref 1's or not if I do go custom i'm not sure at this point. But there is a London show happening in november which I'll most likely attend and try out different IEM's there.

http://www.custom-inearmonitors.co.uk/events/visit-us-at-the-london-drum-show-2014.html

Thanks for posting up the link about us and the London drum show - As an audiophile you're best contacting us direct and grabbing a demo at our office. The drum show being aimed at musicians and drums has an average volume across the 2 days of around 92-93dB. Although we'll have demo IEMs there, we won't have all of them and also we'll never know if they are in properly or not seal wise given the volume...

Sep 18, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,837 of 4,426

Go for SE5 (Spiral Ears).

Awesome!! just been on their website and looks great, very promising. The only thing is will 5 BA drivers compete with the dynamic drivers in the Ref 1? As i understand dynamic drivers excites the bottom end

Hard to really compare right now as my Ref 1 is defective. I've given up listening to it for now. It's no better than even my Flat 4 Suis....

But the SE5 has a forward presentation with lots of depth. Not as spacious as 1Plus2 or Ref 1. SE5 has a way of having the sound very compacted/close together while having excellent separation. I find it does rock very well. The sound is warm, with smooth highs, very detailed mids, powerful and controlled bass (reminds me more of dynamic bass but not quite). The resolution is very good on them. I think the slightly slower note decay and the thicker note weight adds to it. Overall a natural/organic sound to it.

Just seen your post and thx for the info...its on my list for sure...however i have recently learned about the UM Maestro iem which may be good aswell....

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,843 of 4,426
Apparently it will be sold only in Japan. Anyway it goes offtopic here so let's go back to Ref1 guys
beerchug.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #1,844 of 4,426
Pete I want that bass POT!!!

haha :) It'll be a good thing if third party cable makers can implement that? Quote below was lifted off UM's facebook page

"As second announcement for the show, Unique Melody will announce new product "Maestro". The Maestro is 12 Driver IEM, and driver system is 4WAY/12Driver, the driver system is Low x 4, Mid x 4, High x 2, SuperHigh x 2, so the sound design is so different from THE SIRENS SERIES - Roxanne. The sound of the Maestro is also not fix yet, it is doing tuning at this time yet, so please let us know your impression for the Maestro at the show. Thank you."

Apparently it will be sold only in Japan. Anyway it goes offtopic here so let's go back to Ref1 guys
beerchug.gif

true :) i must admit i get so lost in the music when traveling around, Ref 1 is indeed special

Users who are viewing this thread

Back