Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
Jun 30, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #976 of 4,426
  Got my pair of Ref1 in today. My lord it's bassy.... I consider myself a bit of a basshead, and this is just about too much! It's crazy how much there is. It's like the Atrio, but with even more midbass- I think (going from memory of Atrio). I almost wish it had a bass adjustment like the ASG-2 so I could ratchet it back some (never thought I'd catch myself making that statement). I hope the lows tame down some with run-in time. Maybe a pure silver cable would add sparkle and tighten up the low end a little, I dunno. I certainly wouldn't want the earphone to sound warmer at all. Detailing is good, perhaps a touch laid back. Stage seems nice and wide.

Those are just first observations of my initial listening. More to come.  

I had the same 1st impression [on bass] too when first got the Ref.1.  

Now, after some 500 hours on it, or maybe my brain has been "burnt in", I do not find it's bassy or with excessive bass...it only delivers bass when recording has such and with less recording there is no such bias.  I'd say it's a pretty balanced IEM that covers the entire spectrum of music. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #977 of 4,426
  I bet Ref.1...probably you already have the answer!

since I am not an AK240 user, so I may experience a little different... I am pretty blown away by HM-901 + 1p2 (uber) combo and also getting some quality head time with the leben CX-300SX. Therefore, I need more time to go through a few more albums to confirm...

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #978 of 4,426
  Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but do any of the major shops in HK have these and/or the 1plus2 for walk-in audition? Or will I have to arrange to meet with Gavin?

Am interested in comparing against the 846, 334, W60, Roxanne etc. TOTL IEMs as I'm in HK for the next couple of weeks.

Have been getting hulk-green with envy, despite my trusty W4 being such excellent/versatile/durable performers for the past few years...

My own two cents for the above comparisons based on what I heard when Gavin was in town (Drinks again when you're back, Sir. =]); 

The 846 is only better than the Ref1 in bass quantity with the latter having much better quality along with eveything else. 

Compared to the TG334, it has a more natural sound with less colouration and of coz heavier but tight bass. TG334 still has better timbre and, if it's your preference, more forward and coloured mids.

Never heard the W60.

Ref1 is on the whole more coherent, though most things are, than the Roxanne. Not gonna go into why I think the Rox is nonsense to me, seeing how many people here swear by them.

Oh right, best staging amongst the above as well if you want a huge staging. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #980 of 4,426

HMV in TST (iSquare)/Central should have them for audition. Call in before to ensure

Thanks, will give this a shot later this week hopefully and post back.

Hope that you'd have a happy shopping journey in Hong Kong and pick up "all" of the above lol.

Cheers

Oh god no haha, I'm about to build a ludicrous (and my first) gaming PC...I don't even have money for these IEMs right now! The question is really whether they are worth saving up for in the near future – I've been eyeing an desktop system upgrade to the KEF LS50 instead, as those will likely get used much more than an IEM – so those may be the better investment, unless these TOTL IEMs are that spacetime-warpingly good.

My own two cents for the above comparisons based on what I heard when Gavin was in town (Drinks again when you're back, Sir. =]); 

The 846 is only better than the Ref1 in bass quantity with the latter having much better quality along with eveything else. 

Compared to the TG334, it has a more natural sound with less colouration and of coz heavier but tight bass. TG334 still has better timbre and, if it's your preference, more forward and coloured mids.

Never heard the W60.

Ref1 is on the whole more coherent, though most things are, than the Roxanne. Not gonna go into why I think the Rox is nonsense to me, seeing how many people here swear by them.

Oh right, best staging amongst the above as well if you want a huge staging. 

Thanks for this little write up – I've been lurking in this forum for aeons and all your comments seem to line up perfectly with my mental image of how these IEMs compare. I have only auditioned the 334, and whilst it was initially exciting, I did find it a bit of a mushy romanticist overall – especially with faster and more demanding tracks.

I would never drop this kind of money on an IEM without auditioning them first though, so I'll have to try and get them all in my ears over the next couple of weeks as I don't know when I'll be back next!

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #982 of 4,426
  I've learnt in this hobby that "not trying" is the healthiest option sometimes. 

i made the mistake of trying Mass Kobo 385 using my C435.... (facepalm) dreaming about what 395 could do (facepalm) I dont even like pop music (facepalm X 10)

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #984 of 4,426
So after several days' worth of listening and trying to form opinions of what I think of the Ref1, I still don't really feel comfortable saying a whole lot about it... except that damned if this isn't the most chameleon-like, back flippin', 180 degree turning, most fickle thing during burn in. I've never heard an IEM change so much one way, turn back the other, then a left and then a right, and then finally (hopefully) down a more positive path. I'm trying to make sure it's not just brain burn in by marking it closely alongside the Dita Answer the whole time. I swear I'm hearing it change all over the place compared to the Dita. 

Now this evening it's sounding pretty freakin' good, and I decide to plug the DX90 into the ALO Rx mk3 again, and listen to Remurdered by Mogwai. Well... 
basshead.gif
  Good grief, I don't recall the mk3 having this massive a difference earlier on. There's that fickle nature again. The bass is absolutely subterranean, seismic. I've never heard anything near this deep in any headphone. Geez.  

At this point, the main cons I have with it are: slightly peaky highs (I know, I know, initially I said it was rather laid-back), the soundstage lacking some height, and slight vocal/mids recession. The Rx mk3 definitely helps here though. I'm hoping that time, and maybe some cable rolling, fleshes these issues out more. I'd also like to be able to try out some higher end sources, but that's not possible right now, especially after the hit from this IEM. 

Oh and I really want to order some of the Spinfit tips if anyone knows where to get them.

Jun 30, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #985 of 4,426
  So after several days' worth of listening and trying to form opinions of what I think of the Ref1, I still don't really feel comfortable saying a whole lot about it... except that damned if this isn't the most chameleon-like, back flippin', 180 degree turning, most fickle thing during burn in. I've never heard an IEM change so much one way, turn back the other, then a left and then a right, and then finally (hopefully) down a more positive path. I'm trying to make sure it's not just brain burn in by marking it closely alongside the Dita Answer the whole time. I swear I'm hearing it change all over the place compared to the Dita. 

Now this evening it's sounding pretty freakin' good, and I decide to plug the DX90 into the ALO Rx mk3 again, and listen to Remurdered by Mogwai. Well... 
basshead.gif
  Good grief, I don't recall the mk3 having this massive a difference earlier on. There's that fickle nature again. The bass is absolutely subterranean, seismic. I've never heard anything near this deep in any headphone. Geez.  

At this point, the main cons I have with it are: slightly peaky highs (I know, I know, initially I said it was rather laid-back), the soundstage lacking some height, and slight vocal/mids recession. The Rx mk3 definitely helps here though. I'm hoping that time, and maybe some cable rolling, fleshes these issues out more. I'd also like to be able to try out some higher end sources, but that's not possible right now, especially after the hit from this IEM. 

Oh and I really want to order some of the Spinfit tips if anyone knows where to get them.

I think you have quite a decent set up already.

How many hours you think the Ref.1 has since arrival?  

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #986 of 4,426
Thanks re- the setup... I'd estimate around 15 hours at this point. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #987 of 4,426
  Thanks re- the setup... I'd estimate around 15 hours at this point. 

15 hours is far too early to assess how Ref.1 can do for you.

You may consider to pick a song with good punches and set your DAP into repeat 1 song and let it runs overnight then you can have your Ref.1 burn in more quickly.  Do this for 2 weeks and by then your Ref.1 should get into its shape. 

Jun 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #989 of 4,426
fly, when you run the process of burning-in, do you let your DAP & IEM rest after a period of time? Like for every 10hrs you let them rest for 2hrs. Or do you let them run all the way?

I did let the DAP to run over night (around 7-8 hours), no break of course. 

At work, I have the luxury listening to music most of the day (if there is no meetings) and do the burn in that way.  So, over a day I could run the burn in for some 12-14 hours.

During weekend, I'd left the set up runs at home when I'm out.  

To your question, I don't think it is necessary to let the Ref.1 a rest.  I did the same process for whatever new headphones/IEM (even though not too many like other fellow head-fiers) and no problem to run continuously.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back