Brand New : Tralucent Audio Ref.1 Too & original Ref.1
May 11, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #286 of 4,426

I guess I'm going to pass on the Ref 1.  As much as I would prefer a great universal IEM, I  would always wonder and feel that I'm missing out not having the uber cable. 

That's no reason! That's like saying, I'm not going to purchase the LaFerrari because I can't get it with diamond encrusted seats. 

Uber cable is nice, but we're talking about that 1 or 2%

A Ref. 1 connected to a weather transistor radio will rock your world : )

May 11, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #287 of 4,426

That's no reason! That's like saying, I'm not going to purchase the LaFerrari because I can't get it with diamond encrusted seats. 

Uber cable is nice, but we're talking about that 1 or 2%

A Ref. 1 connected to a weather transistor radio will rock your world : )

I would never buy a LaFerrari.  I'm a Porsche guy to the death as seen in the links in my sig.   I have always wanted one since my uncle drove me in his when I was six and it was a lifelong dream to finally own one.  I saved years and years for my first one.  Porsche's are my main hobby.  I track them semi professionally as I have one everyday carrera gts and a just recently a gt3 cup car in my garage at spring mountain raceway so I don't need a trailer.  This isn't even on the same level of obsession for me.  I listen to music an hour or so a day. It's not an obsession, but music from my phone and computer suck so bad, this is the reason why I started to get into this.  And 1 or 2% sure doesn't sound like a big deal, but others have stated its much bigger than that.  Maybe if I got a listen to them I would change my mind, but I would buy these blindly as well as other CIEM that I'm considering, but at least others have a lot more reviews.  The ref 1 will never have that many reviews.  The thing that got me interested in the ref 1 in the first place is that I like dynamic drivers for low end and BA for high end.  I also wish that these could have a customized look as well.

If I could listen to one that would be the only way to sway my opinion.  Right now I'm moving on to a k10 which I can turn into beautiful art while being in the top 3 CIEM (according to people) and HUGO in the future.  The hugo thread is filled with glorious praise for that combo.  I'm the type of person that finds it hard to settle so I would always want the uber cable.  If it were only a 1 to 2% difference then why is it that much more expensive.  I'm guessing the difference is a lot more than that.  I'll be reading this thread for reviews on that combo even if I won't go in that direction.  Just curious to see what I missed out on.

Now if there are reviews out there stating that the ref 1 with stock cable is better than the k10 then I would reconsider it.  But I highly doubt.  I predict the ref 1 will be the best universal IEM, but fall short of the k10 unless you have the ridiculously expensive uber cable.  $500 bucks is the max I would spend on an upgrade cable.  $1,350 is well past my limit for an audio cable.  

May 11, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #289 of 4,426
  If I could listen to one that would be the only way to sway my opinion.  Right now I'm moving on to a k10 which I can turn into beautiful art while being in the top 3 CIEM (according to people) and HUGO in the future.  The hugo thread is filled with glorious praise for that combo.  I'm the type of person that finds it hard to settle so I would always want the uber cable.  If it were only a 1 to 2% difference then why is it that much more expensive.  I'm guessing the difference is a lot more than that.  I'll be reading this thread for reviews on that combo even if I won't go in that direction.  Just curious to see what I missed out on.

Now if there are reviews out there stating that the ref 1 with stock cable is better than the k10 then I would reconsider it.  But I highly doubt.  I predict the ref 1 will be the best universal IEM, but fall short of the k10 unless you have the ridiculously expensive uber cable.  $500 bucks is the max I would spend on an upgrade cable.  $1,350 is well past my limit for an audio cable.  

I have heard the demo unit of Noble K10 at a local store here and I can guarantee you it doesn't even come close to my old hybrid 1plus2 with standard silver/gold cable. Let alone the new Ref. 1 with stock cable. In fact, I find that I prefer the Noble 8C's signature better than the K10 but then it's my personal preference so your mileage may differ. 8C has an exciting touch to its signature and also has the airy signature similar to 1plus2, but it sounded a bit too bright and sharp with a little unnatural digital nuance to it. The K10 sounded at the complete opposite spectrum to 8C. K10 has a very laid back signature with only a slight boost at the treble. It has the clarity and all, but the sound come across to me as very dull, lacking energy and the punch that usualy makes me want to tap my toes and dance to the music on my 1plus2. I felt pretty dismayed at the K10 after reading all the praises on its thread. I even tried to make sure I get the correct fit by taking it off and putting it back in my ears a few times to ensure I was not hearing wrongly due to fit issues. May be some people prefer the more flat laid back reference style of K10. It really depends on individual's taste and your music genre collection. It could probably also pair better on Hugo which has a more natural and colored signature compared to my AK240 which is pretty neutral.

May 11, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #290 of 4,426
I have heard the demo unit of Noble K10 at a local store here and I can guarantee you it doesn't even come close to my old hybrid 1plus2 with standard silver/gold cable. Let alone the new Ref. 1 with stock cable. In fact, I find that I prefer the Noble 8C's signature better than the K10 but then it's my personal preference so your mileage may differ. 8C has an exciting touch to its signature and also has the airy signature similar to 1plus2, but it sounded a bit too bright and sharp with a little unnatural digital nuance to it. The K10 sounded at the complete opposite spectrum to 8C. K10 has a very laid back signature with only a slight boost at the treble. It has the clarity and all, but the sound come across to me as very dull, lacking energy and the punch that usualy makes me want to tap my toes and dance to the music on my 1plus2. I felt pretty dismayed at the K10 after reading all the praises on its thread. I even tried to make sure I get the correct fit by taking it off and putting it back in my ears a few times to ensure I was not hearing wrongly due to fit issues. May be some people prefer the more flat laid back reference style of K10. It really depends on individual's taste and your music genre collection. It could probably also pair better on Hugo which has a more natural and colored signature compared to my AK240 which is pretty neutral.

You shared the same impression as me regarding the k10 and 8c! I was initially tempted by the k10 due to all the raving reviews but realised they were quite hyped up after my audition session with it. It has 10 drivers with a huge price tag and pretty design and that's about it. It doesn't really make me want to listen to my music.

May 11, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #292 of 4,426
  Wow! Well, that's a pretty strong endorsement. I promised myself that I'd never purchase another set of headphones without a demo, but these impressions are pretty hard to ignore. The nice thing is that these universals are rare enough that I can probably resell them for not too much of a loss if I find they're not to my taste.

Any idea what the lag time on delivery after ordering them is at this point?

Thanks for your impressions, btw!

I just conveyed the comments that my friend gave [to 1Plus2].

I think you have to check with Gavin on delivery timing.

Here's his name on Headfi...

spkrs01

May 11, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #294 of 4,426

Then I'd have to have to listen to either one and if I liked either one, I'd pull the trigger.   If it were not for the uber cable, I'd probably get one.  I'm just the type of person that would always wonder how much I'm missing out by not having it.  And those that say I wouldn't be missing out much with the regular cable all own the the uber cable so it must be great or you wouldn't own it yourselves.  If the uber cable was $500 I would have no issues getting it.   But $1,350 is way too much for a cable especially for a cable and earphones that I cannot listen too.  Will be it be at ces next year?  That would be the only place that I could demo it.  With my neck issues, I doubt I would drive out of state to a meet just to listen to it.   I have no issues buying the HUGO unseen due the gazillion reviews.  The ref 1 reviews are all glowing, but there's just a small handful of them out there and there isn't a money back guarantee on it either if I'm not mistaken.  This isn't a 500 dollar IEM that I don't mind losing money on. This is 3k and track season and I always burn through 2 or 3 sets of race tires in the summer.  This is a huge luxury for me for something I cannot demo and to be honest.  I have a hard time trusting head fi reviewers.  Many get items for free or pay so much for them they don't want to say that they wasted money on them.  

If any of you are ever in vegas I'd love to demo them for ten minutes.  I'm sure that's all I would need to blown away if they are that good.  And bring both cables so I can see if the uber cables are needed.   

I really, really wanted these until the uber cable topic came up.  Most top of the line IEM cables are in the 500 buck range.  I am still blown away that the uber cables are just that expensive. 

May 11, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #295 of 4,426

Then I'd have to have to listen to either one and if I liked either one, I'd pull the trigger.   If it were not for the uber cable, I'd probably get one.  I'm just the type of person that would always wonder how much I'm missing out by not having it.  And those that say I wouldn't be missing out much with the regular cable all own the the uber cable so it must be great or you wouldn't own it yourselves.  If the uber cable was $500 I would have no issues getting it.   But $1,350 is way too much for a cable especially for a cable and earphones that I cannot listen too.  Will be it be at ces next year?  That would be the only place that I could demo it.  With my neck issues, I doubt I would drive out of state to a meet just to listen to it.   I have no issues buying the HUGO unseen due the gazillion reviews.  The ref 1 reviews are all glowing, but there's just a small handful of them out there and there isn't a money back guarantee on it either if I'm not mistaken.  This isn't a 500 dollar IEM that I don't mind losing money on. This is 3k and track season and I always burn through 2 or 3 sets of race tires in the summer.  This is a huge luxury for me for something I cannot demo and to be honest.  I have a hard time trusting head fi reviewers.  Many get items for free or pay so much for them they don't want to say that they wasted money on them.  

If any of you are ever in vegas I'd love to demo them for ten minutes.  I'm sure that's all I would need to blown away if they are that good.  And bring both cables so I can see if the uber cables are needed.   

I really, really wanted these until the uber cable topic came up.  Most top of the line IEM cables are in the 500 buck range.  I am still blown away that the uber cables are just that expensive. 

Has it occurred to you that the uber cable would likely have a positive effect on the K10 as well? Not buying something because there's an expensive option that might increase performance seems kind of ridiculous to me. An upgrade cable is just one factor in audio the chain, there's plenty of other things you could add to increase the performance, like an ultra high-end DAC or amp. Would you give up on audio altogether because you can't afford a Light Harmonic DaVinci?

I'd suggest you base your decision on which one, in it's stock form, you think will best suit your preferences with your current setup. Look at anything else as a potential upgrade path down the road, if it's more than you're willing to spend put it out of your mind.

Something else to consider is overall cost and resale values. With a custom you're going to have to pay for impressions and if there's fit issues you then have to pay for shipping back and forth. With my JH13Pro's I went back and forth for refits for more than six months with shipping costs into the hundreds before I finally gave up and sold them for less than half of what I had invested. With a universal you can tailor the fit and sound to some degree with tip selection and if you decide to sell them you'll get a much better return.

May 11, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #296 of 4,426
This is the first I'm reading of anything bad of K10. I can't say I'm surprised at all though. I was really interested in CIEMS as I only have Universals at the moment. There is a tremendous difference in sound when I am not able to get a proper seal. I was ready to pull the trigger on K10, now I'm not so sure again. I also, don't want to drop $1350 on a cable, especially one that wont fit my Lifestyle. I will also always "wonder" about Uber as well, to the point of going insane!! These IEMS do sound so nice though from what I'm reading

May 11, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #297 of 4,426

Has it occurred to you that the uber cable would likely have a positive effect on the K10 as well? Not buying something because there's an expensive option that might increase performance seems kind of ridiculous to me. An upgrade cable is just one factor in audio the chain, there's plenty of other things you could add to increase the performance, like an ultra high-end DAC or amp. Would you give up on audio altogether because you can't afford a Light Harmonic DaVinci?

I'd suggest you base your decision on which one, in it's stock form, you think will best suit your preferences with your current setup. Look at anything else as a potential upgrade path down the road, if it's more than you're willing to spend put it out of your mind.

Something else to consider is overall cost and resale values. With a custom you're going to have to pay for impressions and if there's fit issues you then have to pay for shipping back and forth. With my JH13Pro's I went back and forth for refits for more than six months with shipping costs into the hundreds before I finally gave up and sold them for less than half of what I had invested. With a universal you can tailor the fit and sound to some degree with tip selection and if you decide to sell them you'll get a much better return.

I'm not going to buy a $1,300 cable without listening to it first.  Or is there a money back guarantee on it?  If there is one with a one week return period, then that's something I would consider.  But to buy 3k  worth of earphones/cable having to trust Tralucent fanboys is a huge risk.  $1,000 is one thing, but 3x times that I need guarantees.  So I'll have to demo it first with and without the uber cable.  By then I'll probably pick up the k10.  I rather risk nearly 2k than 3k and they have outstanding customer service.  I haven't heard either way on Tralucent, but I'm sure it can't be bad like JH.  I have already demo'd the universal roxxanne and I thought for the money, it should have been better especially when it was paired with an ak240 and hugo.   I really want to try the ref 1 because I like dynamic drivers and I believe hybrids are the way to go for at least my ears, but I'm not going to gamble buying it without listening to it.  Even if people say that it has more value because it's not a CIEM, out of that 3k, how much could one realistically get back?  I am pretty sure I would lose at least 300 to 500 owning it for just a week or two.  

Will it be available to demo at CES?  I can wait til next CES.   

May 11, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #298 of 4,426
This is the first I'm reading of anything bad of K10. I can't say I'm surprised at all though. I was really interested in CIEMS as I only have Universals at the moment. There is a tremendous difference in sound when I am not able to get a proper seal. I was ready to pull the trigger on K10, now I'm not so sure again. I also, don't want to drop $1350 on a cable, especially one that wont fit my Lifestyle. I will also always "wonder" about Uber as well, to the point of going insane!! These IEMS do sound so nice though from what I'm reading

i honestly dont see anything bad written about the k10 in this thread

May 11, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #299 of 4,426

There is absolutely no reason why you need to get the uber expensive uber cable together with the Ref 1 :)

May 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #300 of 4,426
i honestly dont see anything bad written about the k10 in this thread

Maybe bad is the wrong word but 2 posters posted things I haven't heard. One said the k10 didn't want to make them listen to music, the other called it dull and said it lacked punch or energy. Those are the first negatives I've heard of it.

There is absolutely no reason why you need to get the uber expensive uber cable together with the Ref 1 :)

Cause it sounds better? It will be one of those things that will bother me. I'm certainly not ruling this out due to cable, that's for sure. It seems like it sounds amazing without it. That being said I know myself and I will be bothered by the fact that it could sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back