Brand new to real headphones, looking for one 100$ tops for EVERYTHING
Sep 17, 2008 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sumtime19

New Head-Fier
Well I've decided to set my limit to 100$, hopefully that will be enough. Pretty much I've never experienced something better than the crappy apple stock earbuds.

I would like to buy (I think closed would be the best) headphones for pretty much everything.

All kinds of music.. rock, metal, techno, rap, ect ect

And the computer which would consist of games, movies, and music.

What should I go for?

Thanks for any contribution.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 19
welcome to headfi!

while 100 isn't much insofar as headphones go (in this new world you are delving into...), you can get some decent stuff...

i would suggest open if you could because i think the cost-benefit ratio at sub-100 is better for open cans...(i personally suggest grado sr-80s for open and sennheiser hd280pros for closed)

for a quick over-view of what's out there... check out

Headphone Recommendations grouped by price range!

$80-$150 - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears

other members here will give you a lot more feedback than me. this is just to get you started...

Also consider IEMs (in-ear monitors), my favs are etymotic er-6is and the denon c-551ks with shure olive tips at this price range. (note: have not heard the westone um1s
frown.gif
)

Last note: Check out the For Sale forums here... and buying used is not a bad idea... keeps your wallet a little fatter for a little longer...

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sumtime19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I've decided to set my limit to 100$, hopefully that will be enough.

I'd advise caution around here
tongue.gif
I came here and set my limits at $100 for one pair of headphones to replace my old ones, ...and now I plan on spending $200 for my first pair, and I can easily see myself purchasing a few more pairs and an amp, etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are there any other requirements like no sound leakage in or out, do you prefer your headphones to rest on your ears or go around your ears? Do they need to be portable?

Check out Grados for rock and metal. While I've never heard them myself, they seem to be rated #1 by the majority around here when it comes to those genres of music.

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry for your wallet!

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 19
I think either the MS1 or D1001 will be a good choice. The Denon has been getting a lot of praise lately, so look into that.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #6 of 19
Thanks everyone. So I guess open earphones are actually better quality for the lower ended ones.. the grados sh80's look very nice, I think I'm partial to them right now.

The D1000 and D1001 is priced $150 on their website, is there some alternative site that everyone goes to to purchase things?

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Thanks everyone. So I guess open earphones are actually better quality for the lower ended ones.. the grados sh80's look very nice, I think I'm partial to them right now.

grados are wonderful for rock and metal- they don't do well on things like jazz, classical etc. and if you're planning to travel with them, they let outside noise in quite a bit, and leak sound out as well.

The D1000 and D1001 is priced $150 on their website, is there some alternative site that everyone goes to to purchase things?[/QUOTE]

I didn't know their price went up that high.
tongue.gif
It was around 110$ last time I checked

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 19
the denons on amazon are around 80 dollars. dont buy headphones from the official website because those will always have the original retail price. word of advice, u should always check multiple sites for prices on products to save the most money. from what i hear, the denon 1000's have very nice comfort to them

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #11 of 19
Sep 17, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 19
Well it looks like I've met my match.. I'll research it more tomorrow but now that the 1000's are in my price limitations it looks the most promising for an everything-use. Thanks everyone on head-fi for being so friendly and helpful, I'll definitely use this forum for anything concerning headphones now.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

What's the difference between the 1000's and the 1001's?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe there's no difference.

See above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back