brand new rio carbon pearl 6gb
Jul 11, 2005 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
Playing with it today and liking it a lot. Very good looking and fits well in the hand. I like the case as well.

Sound wise it is excellent (very tight and detailed) but that may be due as well to upgraded phones i bought at the same time, Shure E4Cs.

One unexpected bonus was that it supports the Windows subscription content including Napster to Go. I was using a Zen Micro for that but the carbon works much better; no long pauses when loading or switching tracks, loads from computer over twice as fast.

I may dump my micro now

BTW. The firmware version for those that have older Carbons is 1.9 which does not seem to be available yet for someone wanting to update their older carbon

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 9
This is good news (the new firmware
biggrin.gif
).

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chriscu1
sno1man can you please comment on the power of the amp in the pearl?

thanks.

Sure especially now that I have had some time with it. The output would be my only minor complaint about it. I don't know the specs, but it does not get anywhere near as loud as my ipods and it is the quietest of the players i have.

Even with the volume set at 30 (max), it feels like it should go higher. It does not distort at that volume either. Real world example from right after i got it was using the buds that came with it on an airplane sitting right behind the wing, i had the volume at max to hear the music well and it would have been nice for a bit more

That being said, most of my listening is at lower levels normally and the sound quality is in my opinion the best of the players i have which to me compensates for the lack of volume. Plus using the Shure's gives enough isolation so i don't have to crank it.

Jul 27, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
..BTW. The firmware version for those that have older Carbons is 1.9 which does not seem to be available yet for someone wanting to update their older carbon

Whats different in the newer firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back