Brand new IEMs falling apart
Jan 5, 2021 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Toyo

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I'm starting this tread in look for some help and advice regarding a pair of earphones I just got.
I'm new to this forum, this is actually my first post ever on a forum :laughing:, my knowledge about audio is quite limited and it's my first time "getting in touch" with the hifi world.

I recently started searching for a new pair of earphoens to use as a daily driver, after reading some reviews I decided on the Zhiyin Z5000, found them on aliexpress (here) and bought them.
After 3 weeks of waiting, yesterday I got the package, I opened it up and immediately started trying these earphones, eager to try this "HiFi" experience (I wasn't that impressed, but that may be due to me being used to a more v-shaped sound profile).

I noticed the metal casing on the L-shaped 3.5mm connector wasn't glued in properly, so it could slide in and out, no big deal, just some glue that went bad, or lack of it.
Same applies to a little ring that should be at the top of the wire splitter, no glue at all, flying up and down the wire. But again, no big deal I thought, although I expected something better for the price of almost 60$.

So it was all going okay(ish) when yesterday night, while pulling the right earpiece out of my ear and noticed it wasn't one piece, it did split in half with just a couple wires keeping it together.
I was a bit shocked by that, that was not what I expected from a pair of earphones described as a "little tank" in the review I red (here). Also, the most part of the inside was just...empty? Is this how it is supposed to be? Is this some kind of clone? I also briefly tried listening to it when it was split in 2 pieces and I didn't notice any meaningful difference, so again, is that how it is supposed to work?
Still a bit confused I rushed on head-fi, registered an account.. and discovered had to wait before posting, but one day later here I am.
I also contacted the seller which after seeing a video of it offered a partial refund of 8$ :face_palm:. I kept him on standby and told I'll let him know in the next days, also because I had used the earphones for just few hours at the time.

Now what is your advice? Is this a big red flag or just some bad glue? Should I go for a refund? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
The left earpiece seems solid, I don't think it will fall apart.
As for the right earpiece.. I closed it up, but the "head" can still slide out of the "body" with no problems, pushing it in doesn't make any difference.

Here are some photos https://imgur.com/a/JcHdoRj

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate the effort.

I would complain to Ali and ask for an exchange. So many quality problems do not work.
I would too go for a replacement but the problem here is aliexpress, the shipping would take way too long, not to mention the eventual shipping fees. I think I'll ultimately do a partial refund, I think asking back around 15$ is fair for a pair of semi-defective earphones.

After using the earphones for 2 full days with no (additional) problems I'm now more optimistic about the issue being just some poor glue. I'll glue them up and see.

My last little question is why these earphones are so empty, my knowledge on the subject is very close to zero but that's not what I expected to find inside :laughing:

Jan 7, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 5
If it holds now it's good anyway

Why they are so empty .... take a look at these Fiio FD5 pictures for example.
https://www.fiio.com/fd5
They only have one dynamic driver, but the whole part is filled with technology.

The .Zhiyin 5000 has a lot of optics, looks good and less the technology.
These are my humble thoughts on it :wink:

It is important that in the end you are satisfied with the sound

Jan 7, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 5
It is important that in the end you are satisfied with the sound
I'm slowly getting used to this sound, but I still feel like a more v-shaped profile is better. I can't say I have properly tried them out so I'll keep using them.
If at some point I'll get bored I'll consider using an EQ (as I used to do, at this point I'm a bit bored of switching profiles for everything I plug in) or looking for another pair of earphones (or even headphones?).

take a look at these Fiio FD5 pictures for example.
https://www.fiio.com/fd5
Just noticed at the end of the page they say: "Headphone type: Over-the-ear" - looks like someone did some copypaste over there :laughing:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back