BRAND NEW GRADO HF-1's
Oct 4, 2007 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DoYouRight

Headphoneus Supremus
I just recieved the unopened pair of HF-1s I won on ebay. I think they might be one of the only unopened pairs left. I know Todd the Vinyl Junkie has one pair but he said hed never sell em. I REALLY want to hear these as I missed out when I first joined Head-Fi but do you guys think they might be worth never opening? What to do! Ive never even heard a pair of Grados and these are making me want to bite my hands off. They are #457 and signed with the box still stealed at the edge where it has the white tape.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 26
I bought a pair of unopened HF-1s a ways back and they were opened within seconds of receiving them. I'm not sure what the value will be of an unopened pair, but I do know that you won't get the enjoyment or experience of what great cans they are.

I say open them ASAP
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just my two cents.

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 26
I love music and the sound im not really a collector really....yet at least. But since there are so few I am just stalling I guess heh.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 26
The only people who would be willing to put an emphasis on a mint unopened box of HF-1 would be a headphone collector. Those who purchased the HF-1 and are curious about their sound signature over collectiblity will have no problem in opening the box. When I got my pair, I opened them because I really wanted to hear what they sunded like and I wasn't worried about the collectible aspect. Even if you open the box and listen to the cans, you probably still could get most of your money back for them should you decide to sell them later assuming if they're still in excellent to mint condition. I'm also pretty sure that you're not the only person out there with an unopen box of HF-1. You could also buy a second pair that's used and keep the unopened one unopened.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toonie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair of unopened HF-1s a ways back and they were opened within seconds of receiving them. I'm not sure what the value will be of an unopened pair, but I do know that you won't get the enjoyment or experience of what great cans they are.

I say open them ASAP
very_evil_smiley.gif
Just my two cents.

Well, at the moment, the value is whatever OP paid on ebay.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 26
I got them about half the price I would have if the seller would have allowed one bidder to continue who was out of the country and another whose address wasnt confirmed. But, yes i would like a used pair to listen to but im not a patient person lol.

Oct 4, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #8 of 26
it's very possible that an unopened box could somewhere down the road fetch much more than an opened one, as unopened guarantees that the item is in perfect, absolute mint condition; and that is what people will pay most for. so maybe you should purchase another grado - possibley an SR225, which is suppose to be very close in sound to the HF1 - and see if you like the sound before opening the HF1s and even if you do like the sound, then maybe you still don't open them, because now you have a grado.

but i think there are arguments for not opening it.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #9 of 26
the thing is i dont think id ever sell them. i just feel kind of bad opening them as there are so few even made. I dunno im about to just say screw it haha.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 26
Opened em couldn't help it. About to listen to em having to use my mini converter cable from my senn's and I hope there is an actual difference in sound with grados that I will notice right off the bat :p

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #12 of 26
well it's too late now
frown.gif
but im listening to them and so far I do hear better seperation than my sennheiser's.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 26
the pads are actually really soft and not dense feeling i thought they were supposed to be firm? is this possibly due to age? should I get new bowls?

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the pads are actually really soft and not dense feeling i thought they were supposed to be firm? is this possibly due to age? should I get new bowls?

Some people make Grado earpads sound like they're sandpaper, which is a bit over the top imo. If they're comfortable, stick with them is my advice. I would suggest taking them off and rotating them 90 degrees, however, as the pads can sometimes adhere themselves to the wood and leave a residue.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's very possible that an unopened box could somewhere down the road fetch much more than an opened one, as unopened guarantees that the item is in perfect, absolute mint condition; and that is what people will pay most for. so maybe you should purchase another grado - possibley an SR225, which is suppose to be very close in sound to the HF1 - and see if you like the sound before opening the HF1s and even if you do like the sound, then maybe you still don't open them, because now you have a grado.

but i think there are arguments for not opening it.

IMO, the 225s dont really sound that similar then the HF-1s. the HF-1s are clearly superior then the 225s to my ears. Much much better bass, better separation and better tone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back