brake maintainence advice
Jun 25, 2009 at 8:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
My mum's lexus es 300 (2003) is gonna be serviced in 5 hours time. Since its already raked up 48000km/30000miles we need to change the brake fluid on top of changing engine oil. The mechanic however insisted we do the brake service which consists of these for $50 more:

1. Brake performance road test
2. Remove all four brakes
3. Inspect caliper and sliders
4. Measure thickness of brake pads and rotors / drums
5. Clean and lubricate calipers and sliders
6. Clean surface area of brake pads and rotors
7. Rustproof rotors / drums
8. Adjust emergency brakes

However in the usual inspection they have already done this: Examine brake calipers, wheel cylinders and brake lines for proper function, leaks or damage. Adjust rear brakes as required.

I kind of feel that these guys are trying to earn a easy $50 since their regular maintenance already facilitated their brake job. Why do you need to measure the brake pad thickness when visual inspection should tell you if the brakes need replacement? The manual only recommended brake pad measurement for the lexus isf (sports car) and
lexus ls (large luxury flagship sedan) so im wondering if all those brake job items are really necessary at all. This car runs 70% highway 30% city.

All advice appreciated.

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 14
Just tell them you want new brake pads and check the thickness on the rotors and have them show you the numbers and also show you the specs on the rotors so you know if you need new rotors. The 50 dollars doesnt include any parts or labor for repairs if necessary.

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3. Inspect caliper and sliders
4. Measure thickness of brake pads and rotors / drums

could be a legal thing. places are not allowed to 'turn rotors' much anymore if they are already at the min thickness. and while pads can be visually inspected, you do have to take them off to see them
wink.gif

Quote:

7. Rustproof rotors / drums

I know about anti-sieze and stuff like that; but I'm not sure 'rustproof' is needed in a brake job (?)

Quote:

8. Adjust emergency brakes

the rear brakes usually adjust themselves, don't they?

Jun 25, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 14
This reminds me, last year I had Canadian Tire do my rear brakes and I told them to put new rotors on too. They charged me for the rotors but never put new rotors on. I could easily tell they didn't because my wheels have those aluminium flashhy rims and you can see the rotors easily. Went back and the guy at the desk swore they put new rotors on until I showed him how I knew they didn't. They then installed new rotors and I won't be getting my brakes done at CT in future.

Jun 26, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 14
Hope the service went well...
Did I read correctly this is the cars 30,000 mile checkup?
Change the brake fluid? Well a 2003, ok, as it does age and can absorb water (hygroscopic?).
Rustproof the rotors?
Drums on a Lexus of recent manufacture? I could not find a reference to drum brakes. They for sure would be self adjusting, so adjusting is out even if you had them.
Clean surface area? ??
Adjust the emergency brake seems a reasonable thing, but you would know if it needed it and with disk brakes it is self adjusting.
Did they check the ABS?
Sorry for the rant, it all sounded like a BS service. If they checked the brakes, they checked the brakes. If the pads and rotors need replacing replace them. Part of that service should be maintaining the calipers too without an extra charge.
I have been doing my own work for 35 years, and have one mechanic in my area that I trust to do a good job with no BS. It makes me mad that these places take your money for no real value. Like computer stuff and our audio hobby, what is an ordinary person to do?

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 14
Well it is a Lexus - putting in a little bit extra for maintenance isn't a bad idea. The inspection did look at the brakes and surrounding areas for non-functionality, but that doesn't have anything to do with wear and tear, or maintaining the brakes so that they don't function or have problems down the line. The $50 is also for cleaning, which will help (brakes tend to gather a lot of dust and grime which can be detrimental to their functioning). I'd say if your Mom already sprang for a Lexus, springing $50 to make sure that the brakes are clean and in proper working order isn't a bad idea.

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 14
The car or the $$ don't really matter, the fact that 85% of the service was BS. Where can a mortal go for these things and not get ripped off or FUD into spending money.

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 14
The service went well. I will say the brake service was not essential but it is nice to have after 30000 miles to quantify the amount of brakes you have left and anticipate problems down the line. (Of course I suspect their true purpose was to sell me new brake pads but we still have 70% front pad and 85% back pad left they did not try to convince us at all. However they did recommend me change my pads after another 6000-8000 miles (of course I will not get another detail brake inspection until another 15000 miles)

The thing with mechanics is that they will always give u the most conservative form of maintainence aka most cost intensive. Sure it protects the car in the long run and theoretically your car can go 500000 miles with 3000 mile oil change and other sorts of high frequency maintainence, but it just downright isn't worth it if you are not keeping the car till you die. Being an educated driver is also fairly important to establish a successful relation with your mechanic. While all mechanics work for profits, I can at least tolerate my mechanic. I cant stand people who cheat (the guys who recommend you to flush this and that everytime they see you to the point I'd hope someone flush them down the toilet).

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #12 of 14
Glad to hear it went well.

70-80% sounds about right, think about it though, 30k - 75% avg wear, why replace at another 6-8k? I guess, if your Mum was a two footed driver and rode the brakes all the time!
With todays long lasting materials... Last time I bought pads they had a lifetime warranty. That being said, rotors are cheap and easy to replace and I recommend replacing them with the pads.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope the service went well...
Drums on a Lexus of recent manufacture? I could not find a reference to drum brakes. They for sure would be self adjusting, so adjusting is out even if you had them.
Adjust the emergency brake seems a reasonable thing, but you would know if it needed it and with disk brakes it is self adjusting.

4 wheel disc brake cars often have a small drum brake on the back for the emergency/parking brake. This can be used without a hydraulic system, unlike the disc brakes.

Of course, if it's not ever used, servicing it is kind of moot. Some folks never use their parking brake.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
4 wheel disc brake cars often have a small drum brake on the back for the emergency/parking brake. This can be used without a hydraulic system, unlike the disc brakes.

Of course, if it's not ever used, servicing it is kind of moot. Some folks never use their parking brake.

Good point! I looked it up tho...It doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back