Funky IEMS with a Funky Sound Sig

Specifications:
Transducers/Drivers: Dual Dynamic, 10mm
Crossover: Passive
Rated Impedance: 32ohms
Sensitivity: 95dB at 1mW
Frequency range: 20Hz ~ 20KHz
Maximum input power:  2mW
Cable length: 1.4m, Y cord, OFC Copper, professional grade memory cable.
Plug: 3.5mm gold plated, 45 degree.
24 month warranty.

Accessories:
1 x Comply foam T-series tip
6 x Silicone tips
1 x Bi-Flage tip
1 x Tri-Flange tip
1 x 6.3mm to 3.5mm audio adapter
1 x Airplane adapter
1 x Earphone carrying case

The accessories are some of the best accessories to come with IEMS.  Having a multitude of different tips is nice.  The solid black tips have a smaller bore while the grey translucent ones have a wider bore.  The airline adapter is one of the nicest airline adapters I’ve had.  The 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter is THE best adapters I’ve gotten with ANY headphones.  I was really impressed with the quality of it.  It also matches my Magni and Modi stack perfectly don’t you think?

Build Quality:
It is really well put together.  Feels solid, doesn’t feel flimsy in the slightest.  The strain reliefs like industrial strength and I have no worries about the cable being pulled apart.  The splitter is a monster and feels good. 
The cable is where a lot of people will have trouble or complaints about.  The memory wire is pretty long; slightly too long imo but I like it.  It’s good cuz you can angle the wires away from your body (like how the lcd2 angles the wires/cable away from you). It has two bass ports per housing, one for each driver.  

The IEM housings are quite large, they dwarf almost any other iem I have owned and was quite worried about the fit.  Yet, Once ya figured out how to put them in….its easy as pie.  This is how I do it and always have a good comfortable seal with them. 

1) I bent the memory wire to my liking and fit around my ears. 
2) Then I “hook” the wire around the ear and have the iem horizontal w/ the tip already in my ear canal. 
3 )I then begin turning the iem to vertical position w/the tip still in the ear canal.
4) Once, the iem is vertical and the memory wire has been set around my ear it has a perfect fit and seal.

It’s kind of like how I fit my CIEMs.  Twisting them into place and not just pushing them into place like other iems.
For me, there is little to no microphonics in the cable due to the over ear design. 

The one thing that gets me is the wires connecting the two drivers.  It can be visibly seen; its weird and has me a little concerned if sweat or moisture gets on them.  I think I'm going to place a vinyl sticker on it to cover them up.  Why they aren't covered?  Kinda weird.

Power Requirements:
These little buggers are not sensitive AT ALL.   95dB at 1mW.  Some of my portable headphones are more sensitive like the UE6000.  These are some power hungry little beasts.  Out of my sansa clip, it drove them but didn’t sound good to my ears.  Connecting it to a C5 amp really opened everything up and was pretty blown away the difference between the 2.  Let’s put it this way, the R3 is the only IEM I own that can make it past the channel imbalance portion of my magni w/ out using impedence adapters at the RCA jacks at the back. I was completely astounded at this.  All other iems I own has to have the impedence adapters to be used with the magni.  So try them out with an amp and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Treble:
Slight roll off and rounded off.  This is not an iem for treble heads but it does its job well.  It’s good for long listening sessions and tracks that aren’t treble heavy.  It doesn't extended as far as BA iems but its reaches pretty well for a dynamic.  It has good clarity and at times has a tad/tiny bit of sparkle.  

Mids:
By far and away the star of the show.  It’s very upfront in your face presentation.  I like it.  It’s great for rap solo’s and vocal heavy tracks.  It sounds natural, energetic and something you don’t get much in a lot of iems.   Great for Jazz and acapella.  Listening to "Rumer" and "Aretha" was just the highlight of my day with these.

Bass:
Dual dynamics and the first thing we think of is “bass heavy” but its really not.  Yes it has good bass, is it overpowering?  Definitely not.  It’s controlled, tamed but when its called upon it does it so superbly well.  It doesn’t intrude into other frequencies.   I am no way a bass head and I usualy frown upon bass heavy iems but these do a great job in keeping them in check.  The sub bass rumble would satisfy most.  The mid bass thump is a utter joy too.  It lets you know its there but isn’t an attention hog. 

Imaging/Soundstage:

Has got to be the most massive soundstage I have heard in an iem.  A real out of head experience.  This is probably due to its large housings.  It on par with a lot of full sized headphones I own.  Imaging is just wow.  Listening to the “Pitch Perfect” soundtrack (don’t judge, it’s a good soundtrack) was jaw dropping.  Being able to tell the position of individual singers, how close they are; if they are upfront singing or backup singers was just amazing.  I like being able to tell where everything was coming from. 

Summary:
It’s a decent all-arounder but it shines with vocal heavy tracks.  Jazz, acapella and live music recordings.  I’m mostly a BA iem guy but these really impressed me.  

Definitely worth its price tag IMO.  Has great accessories, good build quality and its not you're run of the mill iems.  

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 13
Nice review! Did you escalate to Raz of MP4nation about the opening of center part of the IEM shell(Rim portion)?
btw,off the topic, what are those 2 blue and silver boxes just like westone's pelicans lying on the table?

edit> Pls update this thread with some impressions/comparisons with the BA IEMs you have?
that way we will have more inputs on R3 and decide on getting a R3 or look for something else........My S1 is more sibilance and very harsh on the hi's and I'm not happy at all with that, where as M5 is doing it's job,so the Beta.

Dec 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 13

Those are otterbox cases for phones.  They were on clearance at at&t stores for like under 5 bucks each.  I posted about them in the Budget-fi thread.  Didn't appreciate a lot of the hostility in the deals thread so didn't post it there.

I did contact Raz, but he hasn't gotten back to me about it yet.  I'll update the OP when I get an answer.  

Thanks, it was my first headphone review.  Have done other reviews for electronics, accessories and phone cases on XDA but never for a headphone....well an official one anyway.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Just got these today and surprised by the amount of bass, after reading in various places that they were airy and middy. Definitely worth amping, and more comfortable than they look. Really nice depth and clarity to the sound.

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #5 of 13
Just got these today and surprised by the amount of bass, after reading in various places that they were airy and middy. Definitely worth amping, and more comfortable than they look. Really nice depth and clarity to the sound.

Yeah that was my biggest surprise. How comfortable they are.

Glad you like them

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Nice review. Interesting shape, very unique phones.

Yeah trust me, it took a bit for me to get used to the design. But once I did I thoroughly enjoy them

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #10 of 13
  It's a shame that I couldn't get a good fit and seal with these to hear their full potential.  

yeah; by far the best sounding dual dynamic I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back