brainwavz r1 review.
Nov 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ash32911

New Head-Fier
I ordered the brainwavz r1 after reading reviews on head fi. It was worth the purchase.
I am a bass head so I needed something that suited me.
I listen to rock ,metal , punk-rock and very select rap and hip hop.
I rooted my phone and then put an app called viper4android on my HTC one x plus.
So all of my testing was done on my phone.
The songs I tested Were linkin parks minutes to midnight album(flac), metallica greatest hits(flac), rhcp californication, by the way singles. Eminem beutiful, Rammstein, system of a down, serj tankian,And sum 41.
if you want a short concise review skip to the end.
So lets get started on the review.
Build quality
The build quality is pretty good. The memory wire is really comfy. The cables are strong. But the only disappointment here was that the cables are not flat.
The quality of the case and the gold plated 6.5 mm jack and airplane jack is fantastic. Pictures are below

The l shape connector was a big plus.

the case is pretty huge. It makes my pockets look like balloons. The case was pretty fat. That was a slight disappointment.

sound quality
The soundstage is wide. It's not the best but it is really good.
The instruments are placed towards the left and right and the vocals are set at the back.
Bass was the focus here. It was nice and punchy. It did not lose clarity as much as i had thought. The low and high was great. Mids are a little laid back. Rock music was Great. Chesters screaming in given up was clear and sounded great. The lows could get a little boomy at times but I was ok with it. I tried it out with sony Xperia z and Samsung galaxy y duos with custom dsp settings and the quality was not the same. I guess the quality is unique to my phone so I guess it will be diffrent for you guys.
All in all I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a good budget iem which suits all genres. It's great as an entry level dual driver. I will recommend it to any basshead.

Bottom line.
1. It is great budget iem.
2. Worth the price.
3. Great for bassheads.
4. Build is very good.
5. Do not buy if looking for neutral sound.
6. Good for Most genres.
7. Great soundstage.
I bought it from mp4 nation.
Any questions about this product pm me.
( sorry for a little unorganized post. It was written on my phone. )
Thanks for reading. :)

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 12
Hey! Thank you for sharing! big plus for the photos. I´ve bin looking on this iem for some time now. Seems like a pretty fun thing to have in the "collection"

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 12
5. Do not buy if looking for neutral sound.
6. Good for all genres.

I suspect that some might perceive these points as contradictory. I have the impression that people that listen to classical or jazz prefer neutral sound for those genres. I would not recommend the R1 for classical or jazz.

I also have the R1 and really like them. Very good soundstage and very enjoyable bass, especially on the almost effect like low sounds that some modern music has. 
basshead.gif

For those that value vocals with good presence and authentic representation there are better options. SoundMAGIC E10 and Sony MH1C comes to mind.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 12
Thx, but what do you mean with wide ?

Do you have m5 or delta ? i'm looking for a comparison between this iems

no, sorry I do not have m5 or delta. I was saving up to buy these. I previously had Sony xb30ex. compared to those this was great.
and about the soundstage I meant that it felt like the instruments were placed in good distance from each other. in these headphones the instruments are towards the left and right. the vocals and cymbals are at the back.

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 12
  Hey! Thank you for sharing! big plus for the photos. I´ve bin looking on this iem for some time now. Seems like a pretty fun thing to have in the "collection"

you're welcome. its good but i would suggest you save up and buy a little better earphones. if you are a basshead then you could buy a lot more different headsets.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #9 of 12
I suspect that some might perceive these points as contradictory. I have the impression that people that listen to classical or jazz prefer neutral sound for those genres. I would not recommend the R1 for classical or jazz.

I also have the R1 and really like them. Very good soundstage and very enjoyable bass, especially on the almost effect like low sounds that some modern music has. :basshead:

For those that value vocals with good presence and authentic representation there are better options. SoundMAGIC E10 and Sony MH1C comes to mind.

I am a little confused. I am looking to buy some earphones of this budget and I am among M2, R1, Soundmagic E10, VSD1S or RHA MA-350. I listen to electronic music and jazz. So I would like to have some characteristics like clarity, good bass for electronic, tremble for jazz. And some good quality. What's your opinion and suggestion?
Thanks

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 12
I am a little confused. I am looking to buy some earphones of this budget and I am among M2, R1, Soundmagic E10, VSD1S or RHA MA-350. I listen to electronic music and jazz. So I would like to have some characteristics like clarity, good bass for electronic, tremble for jazz. And some good quality. What's your opinion and suggestion?
Thanks

From your list, I would suggest the VSD1S. It does not have the bass quantity compared to the others but definitely better quality. Jazz sounds fantastic and can handle electronic music quite well.
The R1 is great for electronic. But it's bass heavy and the treble can be a bit peaky sometimes. It also suffers from "shy mids" syndrome. But at the 29$ price I paid for it, it's good value.

I haven't heard the MA350 or the E10. But, I've heard good things about them.

Sorry I couldn't help you completely 
redface.gif

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #11 of 12
From your list, I would suggest the VSD1S. It does not have the bass quantity compared to the others but definitely better quality. Jazz sounds fantastic and can handle electronic music quite well.
The R1 is great for electronic. But it's bass heavy and the treble can be a bit peaky sometimes. It also suffers from "shy mids" syndrome. But at the 29$ price I paid for it, it's good value.

I haven't heard the MA350 or the E10. But, I've heard good things about them.

Sorry I couldn't help you completely :xf_eek:

What r you saying?? You helped me a lot! Thank you very much!

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #12 of 12
What r you saying?? You helped me a lot! Thank you very much!

If you can look past its iffy cable, consider the Sony MH1C/MH1 too. (available on ebay for 15-20$).There's a monster thread here somewhere, that will hype your brains out. 
evil_smiley.gif

In terms of bass quantity : R1>MH1C>VSD1S
In terms of bass quality : VSD1S =/slightly> MH1C>>R1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back