Brainwavz R1 Review
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #646 of 794
Quote:
Try some sony hybrid tips. They're the only tips that give me a really good seal on these phones. Auvio tips are good too, but doesn't seal as good as the hybrids. 

Are these the ones? I don't think it is the seal that bothers me, it is the fact that the tips slowly crawl their way out and within a couple minutes there is no seal.

http://store.sony.com/p/earbuds/en/p/EPEX10A/BLK

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #649 of 794
These R1s are good, they sound a lot like my MTPGs and the Sony MH1-c. I'm going to try these out at the gym, if they stay in well enough, I'll probably go with these instead of the isport.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #650 of 794
The build quality of the strain reliefs/cable combination is simply horrible these headphones will inevitably short no matter how good you treat them

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #653 of 794
I've found it very easy to get a good seal with the R1.  That's one of the primary reason they've managed to kick my Soundmagic iems out of my gym bag. 

When I'm doing heavy lifting I'm straining, my ear canals are changing shape and most iems start to work their way out.  The R1 with it's smallest silicone tips stay put.

Jan 28, 2013 at 6:38 AM Post #654 of 794
I agree that they creep out at an infuriating pace. Like I mentioned, sticking blu-tak in the silicone sleeves helps remedy that for me (though not a complete cure). I also didn't find that they creep out with the Comply tips, but I can't afford to keep replacing those.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #655 of 794
I'm really liking these! For $30 unless your a treble head, you can't go wrong with these. They come with a lot of tips including double flange a d Comply tips. The case is really nice for the price and can fit a couple sets of IEMs. These sound a lot like the Sony MH1-c. The Sony is the overall winner in sound, with more controlled bass, wider soundstage and better instrument separation, they also seem built better. But the cord on the Sonys is pretty bad. It is very springy, the sitter is put on sideways so their is always going to be a loop in front when wearing these and it sometimes catches on things. On occasion the volume with go up and down randomly. Because of these problems with the cord, I think the R1s and the Sony MH1-c are a tie in in terms of value.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #656 of 794
I have to disagree. It's all down to personal preference - I for one like the R1 more than the mh1c. The R1 has a wider soundstage and talking about bass control in this case is not very relevant as they are pretty equal - both fairly slow and loose. And for the people who think the R1 is slipping out of their ears - you might wanna try the meelec tri-flanges (stock or you can cut then to bi-flanges) if you don't mind using them as I know some people complain about comfort with tri-flanges and deep insertion.

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #657 of 794
Quote:
I have to disagree. It's all down to personal preference - I for one like the R1 more than the mh1c. The R1 has a wider soundstage and talking about bass control in this case is not very relevant as they are pretty equal - both fairly slow and loose. And for the people who think the R1 is slipping out of their ears - you might wanna try the meelec tri-flanges (stock or you can cut then to bi-flanges) if you don't mind using them as I know some people complain about comfort with tri-flanges and deep insertion.

got mine today. they were purchased for gym workouts only - and man, i LOVE how slow and loose the bass is on these. lol. like, when i first heard them i was like "oh i dunno about this :frowning2:"

played some bass music and decided they are perfect for working out

Jan 29, 2013 at 3:27 AM Post #658 of 794
I've actually come to prefer these over any other headphones or earphones of mine. Maybe I am a bit of a bass-head, then. Mids seem a little recessed but really not as bad as others seem to think they are - then again, perhaps I have never heard 'phones with jaw-dropping mids. Mids tend to be my favorite area of the spectrum, though, and treble my least favorite. I do think these could do with just a little more energy at the very top of the spectrum, but it's not especially bothersome.

I found some wax earplugs and stuck some of that inside the silicone sleeves instead of the blu-tak. It might just be my imagination, but it sounds AMAZING to me. The bass seems to dtoll be big, but a little more focused. Not awe-inspiringly textured, but just a really nice sound. They still creep out a little, but not at the rate they did before.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #660 of 794
I'm definitely not a 'basshead' and I would never suggest the R1 to someone who was.  There's bass there but it's not out of proportion nor is it loose/muddy/flabby.  Obviously some of us are hearing this IEM differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back