Brainwavz R1 Review
Dec 29, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #616 of 794
You probably shouldn't be comparing IEMs to headphones in general. They are different beasts.

I also bought these for exercise, I play them through the Galaxy S with Voodoo and I listen to Rock. I'm fine with them. This is very probably because I've never had IEMs that are any higher-end than this. I don't know if mine don't have driver flex or if I'm just completely unable to recognize it. It may very well be the latter.

I DO boost mids, though. I think I always will until I find headphones or earphones that are more mid-centric.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #617 of 794
Oh I realize that you cant really compare, I was just saying that is all I own right now. I plan to buy a couple more pairs of IEM's eventually, just because I cant help myself lol. For the price these do seem pretty great to me though.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #618 of 794
Quote:
 I'm fine with them. This is very probably because I've never had IEMs that are any higher-end than this.

You can be saved. Run, RUN from this head-fi site and never come back before it's too late! Save yourself!!!

I'm not joking either. Three months ago I didn't want any iem's. But I stuck around head-fi, found the likes of dsnuts, and game over man!

Quote:
I don't know if mine don't have driver flex or if I'm just completely unable to recognize it. It may very well be the latter.

When I push one of my R1's in my ear, there is a crackling/popping sound. I am guessing that's driver flex.

Quote:
I DO boost mids, though. I think I always will until I find headphones or earphones that are more mid-centric.

Not so long ago, I was heavily into EQ'ing, and I would have different presets for my different headphones (2 at the time). Then as I got more headphones and iem's (because I did not run away from head-fi), and started listening to them on more devices (SGS2, clip zip, laptop) I quickly got tired of EQ'ing and now I just listen to everything with flat EQ. So because I also like my mids, I tend to listen to my phones that are more mid-centric. I think that the moral of the story is that you can save a lot of money if you stick to EQ'ing!

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #619 of 794
I just got my Brainwavz r1 and my initial impression is they sound better right out the box than my Audiofly 78s burned in. Time will tell but I think I will be happy! THANKS TO HEAD FI COMMUNITY from a noob. You guys saved me a bundle of loot!
My current harem includes mh1c, A161, UE200, M6, 78s and my new r1s.
I still have some change left if you would like to suggest more!

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #622 of 794
You can be saved. Run, RUN from this head-fi site and never come back before it's too late! Save yourself!!!

I'm not joking either. Three months ago I didn't want any iem's. But I stuck around head-fi, found the likes of dsnuts, and game over man!

When I push one of my R1's in my ear, there is a crackling/popping sound. I am guessing that's driver flex.

Not so long ago, I was heavily into EQ'ing, and I would have different presets for my different headphones (2 at the time). Then as I got more headphones and iem's (because I did not run away from head-fi), and started listening to them on more devices (SGS2, clip zip, laptop) I quickly got tired of EQ'ing and now I just listen to everything with flat EQ. So because I also like my mids, I tend to listen to my phones that are more mid-centric. I think that the moral of the story is that you can save a lot of money if you stick to EQ'ing!

Haha, true. It's more a question of "what is it being used for?" for me. I know I want better IEMs, but I only have so much money to work with at the moment. I needed to replace the IEMs I used for jogging and these were a decent price. What I got - for the price - is enough for me for now. When I do get higher end IEMs - with beautiful mids - I'll probably still not use them for jogging since I live in what is pretty much the crime capital of the world :xf_eek:.

On another note, Head-Fi stole my soul a while back :D.

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #623 of 794
Quote:
Haha, true. It's more a question of "what is it being used for?" for me. I know I want better IEMs, but I only have so much money to work with at the moment. I needed to replace the IEMs I used for jogging and these were a decent price. What I got - for the price - is enough for me for now. When I do get higher end IEMs - with beautiful mids - I'll probably still not use them for jogging since I live in what is pretty much the crime capital of the world
redface.gif
On another note, Head-Fi stole my soul a while back
biggrin.gif

My quest for higher end IEMs with beautiful mids has been put on hold for the time being with the TDK MT300's. They were on sale for $5 here in Canada, but can be gotten on ebay for $10-20. Many of us are blown away by how nice they sound. Unbelievably, they are my most used iem's. And for that price, you could wear them for jogging as well :)

Quote:
On another note, Head-Fi stole my soul a while back
biggrin.gif

Yes, it has a way of doing that lol!

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #624 of 794
Quote:
How do the r1's compare the the gr02 BE and brainwavz m5?
Are the mids anything like the gr02?
Also, how's the isolation on the r1?

m5 has more mids with more mid bass then the r1, If you have heard m1 from brainwavz lineup then you can say it is just a more refined and tuned version.Treble is lesser then r1. Whereas r1 has more sub bass which goes deeper then m5 and does not interfere with mids at all.So you can say r1 has more cleaner sound then the m5.

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #625 of 794
I give R1 credit for coming with a fantastic set of accessories.  The case is great, the tip selection is better than average.  The airplane and larger adapter also add value.

I haven't put much time in with them but they seem like a fair deal for the price; they don't stand out sonically and I was expecting a little more dynamic range with two seperate drivers.  Again, these are initial impressions.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #626 of 794
I was looking for a pair of IEM and decided to buy the Brainwavz R1, mainly because the black friday price and the reviews I found here.
I bought them as a replacement of my Yamaha EPH-20 and I have to say that they are very nice. I agree with many that they are bassy and the mids are nice but sometimes are weird. I use to listen a lot to a Shure SRH-440 and when I switch to the R1 is quite nice but weird. My playlist is mainly jazz, some blues, some rock & some british pop, and I found that them behave well with the four, that is great for me. 
My final words, I recommend the R1 on that price tag, I think they are better than many on the similar price.

P.S: I have switched the tips for the normal silicone one, I think Medium because the one that come installed seems that leaked a lot.

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #627 of 794
Can anyone tell me if they think I'd like the R1's given the following:

JVC Marshmallows:  I think sound ok for the money, are lacking a bit of bass and clarity
Meelectronic M9's:  I liked how crisp these sounded, but wish the mids were more present and highs were slightly less harsh
Vsonic GR02 BE:  Hated these.  The bass was WAY too overpowering and muddied everything up.

R1's or something else in the price range?

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #628 of 794
Quote:

JVC Marshmallows:  I think sound ok for the money, are lacking a bit of bass and clarity
Meelectronic M9's:  I liked how crisp these sounded, but wish the mids were more present and highs were slightly less harsh
Vsonic GR02 BE:  Hated these.  The bass was WAY too overpowering and muddied everything up.

You should try bigger bore tips for your GR02 BE, it definitely makes the bass tighter, cleaner and more controlled. .. been using Auvio tips. I prefer the GR02 BE over the R1's.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #629 of 794
Quote:

The m9 is hugely bass heavy.  The R1 is definitely a more balanced, tighter sound.

Jan 12, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #630 of 794
The R1's sound incredible when the fit is right. For me the sound bore and double flange tips are a little too large and fatiguing to wear for extended listening, but the combination helps to get the deep fit and seal that is necessary. I think many of the posters earlier in this thread that were so upset about the sound probably did not get a good fit and seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back