Brainwavz R1 Review
Dec 26, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #602 of 794
I've been listening to my gr07's for sooo long.
I picked up the r1 today.
My thought. WHY DO THEY HAVE SOO MUCH BASS???
Then I said. Oh yeaaaah. That's why I enjoyed dubstep with them.
But. the mids are recessed. and it's not clear.
the highs. i don't know how to describe them. but. they suck.
definitely still impressed by the soundstage though.

And then I picked up the fx40.
Aaaahhh. bass is better. pleasant and thick but not overdone like the r1.
highs are crisper too. mids are thin compared to r1 but definitely without a doubt not as recessed.
it's clearer too. I prefer these over the r1.

BUT REMEMBER.
I HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO THE GR07 MKII FOR THREE WEEKS STRAIGHT PRIOR TO PICKING THESE TWO BACK UP.

And yes. I used 128kbps files to test them. It's the same file so the differences in the r1 and fx40 should be the same even with high quality files

So in the end (today). I gave away the r1s and kept the fx40. They were cheaper and sounded better to my ears.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #603 of 794
Same for me, they're too much unbalanced between highs/mids and bass, I wonder why they tune the woofer that way.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #604 of 794
A few changes are gonna take place with the next production batch of the R1's. First off, the mic equipped versions will be fixed with a better placed mic, so that's a good thing. Secondly, the cables are being replaced with a type of memory wire to allow for easier hanging over the ear. Thirdly, the nozzle size is being increased a bit to allow for mesh to be added. Hopefully this will make for a better all around experience. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #605 of 794
A few changes are gonna take place with the next production batch of the R1's. First off, the mic equipped versions will be fixed with a better placed mic, so that's a good thing. Secondly, the cables are being replaced with a type of memory wire to allow for easier hanging over the ear. Thirdly, the nozzle size is being increased a bit to allow for mesh to be added. Hopefully this will make for a better all around experience. 

So, if I just placed my order with amazon I should cancel it? I would definitely want the improved cord and memory wire, especially since I ordered the mic'd version.

Dec 28, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #606 of 794
Hi, just received my R1 w/mic version 2 days ago and need some help with an imbalance issue with them. The right side seems to be a little louder than the left side especially with the bass notes and i wonders if anyone had this issue before.Will burning them in further helps to balance them out? I've only had a few hours on my pair and really enjoyed them except for this little issue. Would appreciate some inputs before contacting MP4Nation about it. Thanks in advance.

I might sell them off after resolving this issue as I'm in favour of the new cord with the memory wire which seems to work very well for me. Any idea when will they start the next production batch.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #607 of 794
Quote:
Hi, just received my R1 w/mic version 2 days ago and need some help with an imbalance issue with them. The right side seems to be a little louder than the left side especially with the bass notes and i wonders if anyone had this issue before.Will burning them in further helps to balance them out? I've only had a few hours on my pair and really enjoyed them except for this little issue. Would appreciate some inputs before contacting MP4Nation about it. Thanks in advance.

I might sell them off after resolving this issue as I'm in favour of the new cord with the memory wire which seems to work very well for me. Any idea when will they start the next production batch.

Somewhere in mid January, but that could be moved. I personally dont think theres anything wrong with the R1's as they sit, but the mic equipped ones definitely needed fixing. Glad at least that was sorted out. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #608 of 794
Well, the cables aren't that bad but I would appreciate it if they were slightly heavier, so they can stay put behind my ear easier. A mesh on the nozzle might be a good idea but I would have liled it better if the nozzle was slightly angled. So this will be just a slight revision and it won't interfere with the R2 and R3 manufacturing and release?

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #609 of 794
Quote:
Well, the cables aren't that bad but I would appreciate it if they were slightly heavier, so they can stay put behind my ear easier. A mesh on the nozzle might be a good idea but I would have liled it better if the nozzle was slightly angled. So this will be just a slight revision and it won't interfere with the R2 and R3 manufacturing and release?

Staying put better was the point of the newer memory cables, so they might be a bit heavier, only seeing it will tell. As for the newer ones, I have no idea. As I hear/read about info, I'll pass it on 
regular_smile .gif

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #610 of 794
Ok, thanks. It will also be interesting if the added mesh on the nozzle will affect the sound but only time will tell. As far as the R2 and R3, Raz kinda scared me off the R3 when he said that it sounds like the tf10, which I don't particularly like, but again we'll have to wait for that to be confirmed.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #611 of 794
The people who have issues with these should really try some burn-in before they completely write off the R1. I didn't find them too great initially and just left them on burn-in. I have no idea for how long, but it certainly seemed to do the trick.

A revision already? Dang. Note to self: don't buy first releases of products unless the general consensus is that they are perfect. But I needed replacement IEMs for running and they're great for that. It is a nuisance to keep stopping and readjusting the cable, unfortunately, but it's not the end of the world.

Dec 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #612 of 794
I'm still waiting for my R1. Bought it because it was a cheap dual drivers with L type connector and over ear usage. This earphone willl replace my Meelec M6. I will pair it with Fiio E11 + Zune 80 or Voodoo modded Galaxy S.

Dec 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #614 of 794
This IEM is very good in terms of sound. It has good bass extension and the mids are clear enough. The treble section  is not exaggerated as most earphones of the mid-fi tier.

The actual problem is horrible build quality which is simply sub par. First they have a lot of driver flex when you insert them and when you try sleeping with them on. Second the cable is flimsy unlike the strain relief that has no flexibility and it's added to the plastic housings with no measure to prevent braking. Other sets such as the Fischer Audio Tau have a more clever approach when it comes to cabling.It has memory wire guide.  After few weeks my second set of R1's lost one side and I returned it and got the Tau's as replacement which are more intelligently built in spite of having likewise stiff strain relief pieces attached to their plastic housings.

I guess Brainwavz which is a very respectable brand were a little hasty about the design of these otherwise remarkable product and did not take notes from other manufacturers such as mee electronics and Fischer Audio for my first set came with a non working remote and un-finished eartips to make me even more reluctant recommending this product. Brainwavz MUST add earguides to this product or consider redesign the cable otherwise they gonna loose their hard earned confidence from fellow headfiers and people in general.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #615 of 794
I just got these yesterday, they're the only pair of IEM I own so I have nothing to compare it too (my roommate says the klipsch S4 is better, Yes? No?) except my DT770 and DT880 Full sized phones, These are not as good as those. They seem just OKAY to me, Good bass though, they seem good when I'm listening to electronic, but I switched over to rock (deftones, demon hunter) and it just cant compare to my full sized phones. Will be good for on the go or at the gym though which is why I bought them to begin with and for $40 I cant complain much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back