Brainwavz R1 Review
Dec 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #587 of 794
Ok, so I've got 200+ hours of burn-in on my R1 and I think it finally settled. I said before that the R1 is good but it's is actually really good.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #588 of 794
Just as d2k said, the mic placement is quite high, making it pretty much unusable..
If you are a guy who likes bass and don't mind flat j-cords, the sony mh1c is a very good choice as well.

That Sony cord is a mistake of the century... :/

Dec 16, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #589 of 794
I got a pair of the brainwavz r1 without mic from mp4nation during the initial launch when they had them on offer. TBH, they were pretty good for the price. It feels like a pair of wider brainwavz m2 with a tweeter, maybe slightly less bass. The bass is perhaps somewhere around the region of a low frequency focused triple/quad ba iem. 

During the black friday sales in nov, I got another pair of the r1 from mp4nation, only this time with mic. First off, the mic cable is really really short, it rest around my jaw bone joint area. The biggest suprise is that the sound signature is totally different from the first pair. This pair has a wider soundstage, perhaps almost entering tf10 territory. However, the bass is overpowering. It is too much for me. It get boomy at times too. Mid is similar to the first pair, but is overpowered by the bass on occasion. With certain tracks, it seems to have less clarity than the first pair.

The first pair w/o mic has slight driver flex on the left side, the seond pair with mic has SEVERE driver flex on the right side.

I am actually quite suprised at the drastic difference and QC. Anyone experienced the same thing?

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #590 of 794
Quote:
I got a pair of the brainwavz r1 without mic from mp4nation during the initial launch when they had them on offer. TBH, they were pretty good for the price. It feels like a pair of wider brainwavz m2 with a tweeter, maybe slightly less bass. The bass is perhaps somewhere around the region of a low frequency focused triple/quad ba iem. 

During the black friday sales in nov, I got another pair of the r1 from mp4nation, only this time with mic. First off, the mic cable is really really short, it rest around my jaw bone joint area. The biggest suprise is that the sound signature is totally different from the first pair. This pair has a wider soundstage, perhaps almost entering tf10 territory. However, the bass is overpowering. It is too much for me. It get boomy at times too. Mid is similar to the first pair, but is overpowered by the bass on occasion. With certain tracks, it seems to have less clarity than the first pair.

The first pair w/o mic has slight driver flex on the left side, the seond pair with mic has SEVERE driver flex on the right side.

I am actually quite suprised at the drastic difference and QC. Anyone experienced the same thing?

I have the one without mic, and mine does not have any driver flex whatsoever, zero, zilch...

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #591 of 794
You will always see some differences in different pairs of headphones form one to another, especially at this price point. QC, from what I've been reading on this thread at least, isn't too bad. Some have experienced some driver flex, others(myself included) have not. I don't own the mic equipped version, so I can't, and wont, comment there. I do own a few pairs of the non mic'd ones and can say that with sufficient burn in they all started sounding the same to me....perhaps calvin lin got a bad pair of mic'd R1's, and that's the reason why hes seeing such a huge difference. Just a possibility. 

Dec 16, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #592 of 794
Quote:

Quote:
You will always see some differences in different pairs of headphones form one to another, especially at this price point. QC, from what I've been reading on this thread at least, isn't too bad. Some have experienced some driver flex, others(myself included) have not. I don't own the mic equipped version, so I can't, and wont, comment there. I do own a few pairs of the non mic'd ones and can say that with sufficient burn in they all started sounding the same to me....perhaps calvin lin got a bad pair of mic'd R1's, and that's the reason why hes seeing such a huge difference. Just a possibility. 

My experience with Brainwavz indicates pretty spotty QC.  While I like my M2 a lot, there's almost no audible bass below 80 Hz or so.  However, the rest of the spectrum is, while colored, pretty unoffensive and sounds good with minimal or no EQ.  However, reviews indicate that this is supposed to be a pretty bassy IEM.

My first R1 had one ear wired with reverse polarity and also sounded pretty bad with horribly shrill upper mids.

My M5, while supposedly a fairly unoffensive-sounding IEM by the sounds of all the reviews, had a painful spike around 5kHz overshadowing all treble and upper mids and creating unlistenable sibilance with all vocals and cymbals, and the overwhelming bass (and especially lower mids), which were bloated and muddied the entire rest of the sound FAR above and beyond the supposedly bassy M2.  It sounded nothing like the mostly neutral IEM I'd been led to expect.

My second R1 sounded much better than the first (and was wired properly)... still a bit shrill and much less smooth from about 500 Hz up than the M2, but nowhere near as much as the first R1.  This one sounded to me very much as described by both reviews.  So out of 4 IEMs, only 1 was both functioning properly and matched the generally described sound signature in reviews.

Dec 17, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #593 of 794
oh dang. haven't picked up my r1 in a long while.
too much time on the gr07 and mh1c. I'll pick them back up.
If anything, it should give me a better perspective on the sound.
I'll post my new impressions. My initial ones were that they are like the m2 had sex with the b2 and had a baby.

Dec 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #594 of 794
Quote:
they are like the m2 had sex with the b2 and had a baby.

eek.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #598 of 794
Well, I have to say no. The bass was redused but as far as its speed and tightness - it's the same, definitely not tighter. Also the treble was tramed a lot, so R1 is very far from treble oriented. It's almost around a point at which I would call it balanced as it's way off of being for bass heads but the treble also lost a lot of its energy and I wouldn't call it sparkly at all.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #599 of 794
Well, we all hear phones differently. The bass on mine definitely got tighter and is not as bloated when I first received them. The treble is by by no means the focus of the earphone, but IMO it has more sparkle now.  

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #600 of 794
I placed an order for these early Thursday morning, and I got them a few hours back. Now THAT was fast considering I'm in South East Asia and it STILL usually takes 3-4 days for stuff to reach here. Kudos MP4Nation and FedEx!

Anyhows, initial impressions is that the R1 is a very likeable IEM indeed (my personal love towards dual dynamic IEMs notwithstanding). Mids are a tad recessed compared to my GR02BE but otherwise the R1 is on a different level. Bass, especially midbass, feels a bit loose, hoping it gets better with time.

Not bad for a $40 (w/ mic) impulse purchase. Especially considering the last dual driver I got (the FA Tandem) was like $100-ish.

The mic? Position IS a bit weird, having a mic along my jawline rather than nearer to my neck, but it's sensitive enough to work with Google Now in a normal outdoors setting so I have no qualms.

Build quality wise, honestly I can say the GR02BE feels better built, the cable especially (though the Be has an absolutely puny Y-splitter). Otherwise it feels ooookay for a sub $50 IEM.

NOW, I have a question for you guys. Which T-series complys do I use with this thing? I just tried my stock of Red/Blue T-400s and they felt REALLY loose. Like stuck in ear loose.

Tried to Google this and all I could find is someone mentioning that the T-400s (yeah right) and the T-2007 fit. I'm hoping someone can confirm that the latter fits ok so that I can place an order for a bunch of T-200s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back