Brainwavz R1 Review
Nov 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #482 of 794
According to Raz, R2 and R3 are already in the works and R2 should be ready sometime in January.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #483 of 794
Whats all this talk of bassification with R1????anyone tried R1 with any dubstep?

Um yeah, the R1's and dubstep seem like a marriage made in heaven. Check out the 1:10 mark of this (you'll have to create an account, but piece of cake):

http://soundcloud.com/dubstep-4/dubstep-cosmic-dreams

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #485 of 794
I finally got around to loading some smooth jazz onto my Fuze + (stop laughing) and giving it a listen with my R1s. Seems that these do a really great job with this genre also.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #486 of 794
I tried some dubstep myself with my R1 UKF i believe wowwww!!!i cant take it the fillings in my teeth were shaking!!!R1 handles lows well but my head cant ,too much going on in sub-bass region. can somebody point out we are hearing in bass terms,ie. midbass, bass and sub-bass??? would kickdrum=midbass, bassguitar=bass???

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #487 of 794
Quote:
I tried some dubstep myself with my R1 UKF i believe wowwww!!!i cant take it the fillings in my teeth were shaking!!!R1 handles lows well but my head cant ,too much going on in sub-bass region. can somebody point out we are hearing in bass terms,ie. midbass, bass and sub-bass??? would kickdrum=midbass, bassguitar=bass???

It's not Kick Drum=Sub-bass or Bass Guitar=Sub-bass.Few instruments can enter sub-bass frequency range(below 60Hz) such as bass guitar, kick drum, synthesizers, contrabassoon,etc.But you can feel them rather than hear in this range.(Example: Bass guitar frequency range is 41 - 343Hz).Most people would give you the thunder example for sub-bass range.

Nov 4, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #488 of 794
The R1's meet all my needs for bass but it isn't brain shaking or jaw rattling. There is enough bass to keep songs interesting but not so much you miss out on the smaller details of the music.

Good examples of what I am talking about would be...

Kaiju - Close Break
LQD HRMNY - Noyade (Sorrow Remix)
Sorrow - Recluse
Other stuff from Sorrow
Burial
Exist Strategy (his whole first album)
Squalid Squad - R U Ready (reeaaallly fun song to listen to)
Kryptic Minds
Biome

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #490 of 794
I just received my 2nd pair of Brainwavz R1. The first pair I received performed quite well, but the sound coming from the left earpiece slightly differed from the sound coming from the right earpiece. I also expected more from them. I don't know why, but i expected to get the "Wow"-feeling and I just didn't get it. Even after burning them in, the sound slightly improved but no big improvements.

My second pair is a different story. This pair did give me the "Wow"-feeling, even though I already had another pair. This second pair didn't differ much from my first pair, but to my ears their overall sound is much better. This time, the left and right earpiece sounded the same, so that issue was solved. This pair does have a little bit of driver-flex in the left earpiece, but that's not a big deal.
My impressions from my 2nd pair:
  1. Nice bass, but a little bit too much every now and then.
  2. The highs sparkle!
  3. Soundstage is great.
  4. According to my personal opinion, the mids are a little bit, like, set back.

Mp4-nation's customer service is great! When i opened a ticket, complaining that my left earpiece sounded different, I got an immediate reply asking me to change tips/source, the basic stuff. Been there, done that, replied and they asked me to cut my earphones in pieces. Saves me the effort and costs of shipping it back. Within an hour after sending them the picture of my destroyed Brainwavz R1's ( 
frown.gif
 ), they shipped out a new pair. Against my expectations, I got free Fedex again. Received the package after 3 days 
bigsmile_face.gif
. I do belief the new pair I got wasn't totally new, the box was already opened and the wires were tangled. Tips were clean though and the earphones were as good as new. 

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #491 of 794
Has anyone here listened to both the R1's and the Vsonic GR-02 Bass Edition's?

The GR-02's I received a couple weeks ago are a bit too bass heavy for my liking.  Just kind of overpowers the mids.

Oddly some songs sound great, but others are really muddy.  I think it has to do with the mix or where the bass lives (mid vs deep).

Nov 6, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #492 of 794
Their customer service really is top notch! My right driver failed after two weeks of usage, and similarly, I was asked to cut the headphone up, and a replacement was sent. No shipping costs!? WOW.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #494 of 794
Quote:
Has anyone here listened to both the R1's and the Vsonic GR-02 Bass Edition's?

The GR-02's I received a couple weeks ago are a bit too bass heavy for my liking.  Just kind of overpowers the mids.

Oddly some songs sound great, but others are really muddy.  I think it has to do with the mix or where the bass lives (mid vs deep).

Yeah, I agree. The GR02's aren't the most resolving. I think the R1's are a clear upgrade over the GR02 Bass.
Initially, the R1 has a LOT of booming muddy midbass. These had the biggest change in sound with burn-in that I've experienced.
After the burn-in, the bass gets toned down quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back